Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 11:31 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Ahh, but that is where you are wrong.
Actually, I'd say it is easy to find out if one has Asperger's but it's not easy to actually work on it. That is where jimj is quite right;
Quote:
B. Once diagnosed it's not at all easy to figure out the route to successful coexistence with the NT world. C. Behaviour mods (once you identify where the problems actually lie) take time,money and resources. Two of those three are in short supply
Identifying where the problems actually lie is the the first trick. It's not Asperger's as such that is the problem, it's the effects of Asperger's and/or co-morbid conditions that is the problem. I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 05:40 PM

74 posts, read 112,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
Vaccinations cause autism..

The guy who did that "study" was trying to make and patent a vaccine of his own and wanted the one currently on the market to tank so his would work. In the decades that have past NOT ONE person has been able to replicate his findings. I think that says it all.

Meanwhile the super cool moms who had natural births, and didn't vaccinate, are now having chicken pox parties. Even though it can cause serious complications. "Their bodies will fight off the bad diseases" never mind the infants or elderly who can't get vaccinated for real reasons and end up dying because their kid passed them a disease. We almost eliminated these diseases until this BS came out.
Yeah, at first I was somewhat nonchalant towards these types of events but now I am really concerned! I guess I always thought it was a minority of people who believed this and figured they had the right to their opinion, and then one day it was "a thing" and I started to get really uncomfortable.

I think the biggest problem is, these parents only think about "their children" and how it will affect "their lives" and "their opinions" and then they stop thinking about other people and how it might affect our world overall.

I'm all for people going natural when it's safe to do so. By all means, try it if you're healthy enough to do so, but if there's something that goes wrong, I want a doctor on hand to back me up. That's just my two cents though. I'm not a medical expert and I'm never going to argue down a medical professional that I trust if they say, "Look, we tried it your way but this crap is not working and your baby is going to die."

But I don't even really want kids so I guess that's a non-point. I'm of the belief that if you can't afford children and your life has no room for them, why even bother? I leave that to the people who really care about it and want to devote time to making babies.

Although sometimes I wonder if this is why we end up with so many people in this world who have idiots for kids. The practical people all abstained and now we just have these yahoos left who are brainwashing their kids into thinking that doctors are evil and that their problems will go away with magic crystals.

Not that I'm really calling myself perfectly sane and practical, mind you. Just a thought that runs through my head at times. If I'm fairly reasonable and I'm not having kids, I have to imagine that the very intelligent and wise people of this world also are not.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:29 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,923,742 times
I have aspergers and its tough to live with.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
I have aspergers and its tough to live with.
Yeah, me too. would you mind explaining a little on what makes it tough for you? For me it was not being able to fit in and the depression and anxiety. I was emotionally unstable too. Then there was the utter boredom in the classroom and difficulty concentrating - I was easily distracted and my mind would wonder.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:14 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,366,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Yeah, me too. would you mind explaining a little on what makes it tough for you? For me it was not being able to fit in and the depression and anxiety. I was emotionally unstable too. Then there was the utter boredom in the classroom and difficulty concentrating - I was easily distracted and my mind would wonder.
^Know you are directing this at someone else, but...
I have Asperger's too (and it wasn't dx'd until a decade ago).

The sensory sensitivities are the worst-there are so many things that drive me up the wall, and curtail my activities as result.
Not everybody with an ASD has sensory problems, but it's one of those invisible things that sounds insignificant yet can have massive f/x on one's day-to-day life.
The social/communication difficulties are huge, too-doesn't matter how intellectually "smart" I am,
when I can't decode the nonverbal signals/gestures/expressions of strangers out in the world.

To get back on topic, there are plenty of reasons why Asperger's seems more common lately, it's not just one factor.
People that had been or would be classified as having X Y or Z are now being categorized as having ASD, so the numbers drop in one diagnosis and rise in another.
ASD has become easier to identify/recognize as awareness of it has grown in the medical field as well as in the culture at large.
If one's truly interested, I suggest R.R. Grinker's book "Unstrange Minds" where he addresses the apparent increase in Asperger/Autism Spectrum Disorder.
It makes me sad to read the comments where people jump to conclusions & make snap judgments about this condition/brain difference.

I didn't get this label until I was 30 years old-I'd long had a lot of difficulty with so much in life, and no one (incl. me) could understand why.
People were often less than compassionate or kind about it-I'm thankful for getting this diagnosis because I finally have a theoretical framework with which to describe my challenges.
I didn't seek out this specific dx, had never even heard of it before I saw the psychiatrist who suggested it, and at first I thought he was utterly wrong.
It took many months before I could make sense of the idea, and in time it really did help me better articulate myself to those who cared enough to try understanding.

Lest this end on a down note, here's one of my favorite links to positive features of us "Aspies"-
Traits of Autistic People - What are Traits of Autistic People

Old 06-07-2014, 01:05 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
No time to read this very active thread so apologies if these points haven't been made:

1) Asperger's is / was on the autism spectrum and is not a binary diagnosis, it has greater and lesser degrees

2) I agree with others that it's probably over-diagnosed

3) Other perfectly valid issues can superficially be very similar to relatively mild Aspergers. I am personally acquainted with two individuals originally misdiagnosed with Aspegers. One is a better fit for Schizoid Personality Disorder, the other has been more successfully treated as "Personality Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified" with some narcissistic features and Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the insight,cloven. Interesting article.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:22 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Lest this end on a down note, here's one of my favorite links to positive features of us "Aspies"-
Traits of Autistic People - What are Traits of Autistic People

I'd like all my friends to have Asperger's. Based on their traits, they are the type of friends that would make life fun. Great link, cloven. Thanks for posting it.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:39 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Asperger's is today's fad thing as an excuse to take another pill or explain away anything and everything.

Autism is another one.

If pregnant women would stop taking pills for every little mood swing and tummy ache, their kids would not be so warped. It would take a couple of generations to get back to normal.
Well, I vote that women that are pregnant should not subjected to any hormone imbalances for nine STRAIGHT months.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 06-10-2014 at 12:53 AM..

Old 06-10-2014, 12:56 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
I have autism/aspergers and just because it's become a 'fad' that doesn't discount the large number of people that have it. When I was growing up they didn't have anything for me where I lived except learning disabled and so that was what I was classified as (still am). Also, women/girls in general are forgotten about in the autism community so we're less liked to diagnosed with autism in the first place, that can come later for many of us. Granted, there are a lot of people being classified as A.S. because of social problems but there are a range physical symptoms that come along with A.S./autism too that are NEVER talked about. The main focus is on the social issues and that should not be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology