Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:27 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I believe they very recently have said that Asperger's is not on the Autism spectrum. Having worked with children with both over the years in school, Aspy kids are nothing at all like the description of those young serial killers. Socialization was not a problem for Aspys, but it was with full blown Autism. I believe that is the reason they took Asperger's off the Autism Spectrum.

Just my own observations.
Aspy kids?

I rest my case.

Are kids with cancer Cancy Kids?

Cute!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I think it's become a catch-all phrase for pretty much everything these days. Sometimes people are just different and, yes, even weird, but that doesn't require a diagnosis.
True to the core.

Or as the title of Robin Roberts' new book (is that her name? The gal on GMA): Everybody's Got Something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
Vaccinations cause autism..
I'm not sure about vaccinations. If it's vaccinations, or Vaccys, lol, it's had to go through a couple of generations. I'm breathing (gasping) on age 70, and we were vaccinated. Not a single kid I knew was even remotely like today's kids. We played outside, ate decent food, and didn't stuff ourselves with things like Ritalin. We were normal. If we fell off the shelf every now and then, our parents kicked our asses and told us to straighten up and fly right. And we did. And we grew up to be productive adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 07:59 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Seriously. Every time on this board or anywhere it seems someone had trouble in their life they say they must have Aspergers. You can't make friends? Aspergers. Can't find a job? Aspergers. Kid failing or not doing well in school? Aspergers, of course. When I was growing up (not *that* long ago) nobody even heard of it. It seems to have become a catch all diagnoses for anyone with a less than perfect life.

I personally know someone who has an autistic son and to even compare what some people "claim" is autism to him is absurd. You could tell he was different from the second he was born. He can't verbalized his feelings, doesn't really speak at all, gets fixated on a single thing. He is 12 but has the mind and behaves almost like a toddler. It makes me angry people have almost glamorized the whole thing. Billionaires writing books about them "being on the spectrum". NASCAR races.

When doctors broadened the criteria in the mid 1900s, the numbers rose obviously. Since there is no physical test or scan, it is purely subjective and everyone started seeing it everywhere. It is based on things such as lack of eye contact, poor language skills, etc. That can apply to many people, not just a true ASD diagnoses. The CDC has said ASDs rose to what was originally 1 in 2000, to 1 in 88. In the latest DSM, since many have been diagnosed wrongly, they tightened the criteria to try and clear things up. Now, up to 40% of people who have been diagnosed as having an ASD are supposed to no longer qualify.

It bugs me because the people who really have the disorder are being watered down.. Example?
How about the person claiming to have cured their vaccine induced autistic kid with vitamins. People are going to stop taking it seriously if everyone claims to have it, when they don't. It will harm the people who actually do suffer from it and I am sure they feel the same way when they hear people making light of it when they have suffered for years.
I have to agree.

I think back when I was in school and my parents were told to put me on Ritalin because I misbehaved all the time. They tried it and I was a zombie. they took me off it and said they'd rather have me "full-assclown" than a robot.

Yes, I had problems in school, I got into trouble a lot, almost didn't graduate because I failed pre-algebra three years in a row, even with summer school. I would get migraines so bad that I would see yellow spots in front of my eyes and would throw up. Finally my guidance counselor put me in PE my senior year so I could graduate with my class. During my adult life I have had challenges too. I had no concept of right from wrong, or rather, I didn't care. I went to jail for bad checks, DUI, embezzlement, failure to appear, you name it, and I went to jail for it. My dad always bailed me out until my mother put her foot down and then suddenly I was on my own and I figured out that was wrong behavior. It took a long time but I taught myself to act like a normal human being and follow the rules.

My point is, I probably would have been labeled as ADD or ADHD or Autistic if it were nowadays, but instead I was just an assclown. Many kids these days don't need these labels, they need discipline, and they should be made to follow the rules without being babied because they have "issues".

I have a 13yo niece who is Autistic, and you can tell she is different as soon as you meet her. She is slow, and very sensitive, cries at the drop of a hat, is socially awkward, and can't speak properly. I feel it does kids like her an injustice to label another kid who is just being a jerk, as Autistic. Even my niece has boundaries because her parents set them. A lot of parents hear "Autistic" and suddenly their kid is handicapped and needs all these special things, when really, the kid needs discipline.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:42 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Selling Sickness: How the World's Biggest Pharmaceutical Companies Are Turning Us All Into Patients

http://www.amazon.com/Selling-Sickne...F9F3JRYWFQ8K4J

Old 05-30-2014, 08:46 AM

993 posts, read 1,560,031 times
I was just having this conversation the other day, OP! I agree with you 100%.

The most obvious explanation for its over-diagnosis is that people are always looking for a reason to remove culpability. Asperger's, while I'm sure it might really be an issue for some individuals, has also become a convenient way to swipe discussions of sh*tty parenting or just plain ol' unruly kids under the rug. ADHD is another diagnosis that gets abused as a lazy excuse for bad behavior.

Again, not saying that either of these mental disorders aren't real. I totally believe in their legitimacy, but I don't think they're the answer for every person who behaves peculiarly or wildly.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
While I agree ADHD and Autism/Aspergers can seem to be over diagnosed (and may just be) it wasn't until fairly recently that there was some kind of concrete way of diagnosing it. You do know that there ARE concrete ways to diagnose right? Or, did you just happen to stay at a Holiday Inn express last night "Doctor"?
I was considered one of those demon kids back in the '60s when little was known about ADHD and how to deal with it and nothing was known about Aspergers. I do know that amphetamines were given to me but at some point that ended and life was, well interesting as I got bounced from place to place because my parents couldn't handle me and severe discipline was the rule of the day as that HAD to be what I was lacking. Guess what? Didn't work.
Fast forward to adulthood, it wasn't until just a few years ago after several days of testing and a few months of therapy that they figured out I did indeed have Aspergers along with the well known ADHD diagnosis of years past.
Now add to that our son was diagnosed Aspergers after going through a long testing/evaluation period and finding out that it can be hereditary. I won't bore y'all with the details but if you met him you'd certainly agree with the diagnosis.
It was said above that an adult can just "learn to deal with it and work around it". Well, to some extent you're right BUT getting to a point where you can function somewhat normally in society is a long term process usually filled with either illegal drugs or booze or both and many,many brushes with authority/law enforcement as well as a mostly friendless solitary job hopping existence.

Many have no idea what Aspergers or ADHD really entails. For me, my son and others so afflicted we don't see things like "NT" or Neuro-Typical people do. We don't "get" facial expressions,don't understand social queues, don't understand many emotions or why people have them. Shades of grey don't exist in our world, it's black and white if you will, either it is or isn't, no middle ground. I had to learn to accept shades of grey even though I may not understand it and that took YEARS (30 to be exact) of trial and error. Trust me when I tell you that those many years were NOT fun in the least. Innuendo,much humor,sarcasm and such go right over our heads for the most part. Things a NT person doesn't even realize they're seeing which change their behavior in reference to other people we plain and simple don't see. Ever hear the saying "Can't you take the hint?" when you really want someone to leave?... Well no, we really can't.

A good example is if you told my son "don't be a couch potato" he'd look at you like you were crazy because the picture that'd pop up in his mind is an actual potato on a couch and how could he be one of those.
Our brains are wired differently as proven by recent MRI breakthroughs. Thankfully there's evidence if a child with Aspergers is diagnosed early enough there is some evidence that months/years of behavioral modification can somewhat rewire the brain to function more "normally" or at least acceptable to society.
To those who still think it's all just hooey put out to make money I'd suggest you read up on a lady named Temple Grandon.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:14 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
Yeah, and for awhile it was the ADD/ADHD thing.... My friend has four kids and he discovered the cure for those conditions! All of his kids are/were well behaved and well mannered after just a few doses of his timeless remedy....he called it DISCIPLINE!

Old 05-30-2014, 09:16 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
i thought i might have had asperger's, so i took one of those tests that someone posted on here and it said i was normal.

i think it is mostly just a marketing ruse by the big pharma's/healthcare to make money. can't get it up? there's a pill for that! pee alot? theres a pill for that! socially awkward? there's a pill for that!

Old 05-30-2014, 09:29 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
i thought i might have had asperger's, so i took one of those tests that someone posted on here and it said i was normal.

i think it is mostly just a marketing ruse by the big pharma's/healthcare to make money. can't get it up? there's a pill for that! pee alot? theres a pill for that! socially awkward? there's a pill for that!
An online test cannot diagnose anything, except maybe Cancer,Leukemia,ALS,Polio etc.
Those that deride the condition exists because of online bogus tests/information deserve the ignorance that they possess.
As for discipline? Well, you can't beat,ground to their room or lock up the Downs Syndrome out of people any more than you can those that truly have ADHD or Aspergers.
The key is finding out those that use it as an excuse vs those that are truly afflicted.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:43 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,460,587 times
Quote:
Seriously. Every time on this board or anywhere it seems someone had trouble in their life they say they must have Aspergers. You can't make friends? Aspergers. Can't find a job? Aspergers. Kid failing or not doing well in school? Aspergers, of course. When I was growing up (not *that* long ago) nobody even heard of it. It seems to have become a catch all diagnoses for anyone with a less than perfect life.

I personally know someone who has an autistic son and to even compare what some people "claim" is autism to him is absurd. You could tell he was different from the second he was born. He can't verbalized his feelings, doesn't really speak at all, gets fixated on a single thing. He is 12 but has the mind and behaves almost like a toddler. It makes me angry people have almost glamorized the whole thing. Billionaires writing books about them "being on the spectrum". NASCAR races.

When doctors broadened the criteria in the mid 1900s, the numbers rose obviously. Since there is no physical test or scan, it is purely subjective and everyone started seeing it everywhere. It is based on things such as lack of eye contact, poor language skills, etc. That can apply to many people, not just a true ASD diagnoses. The CDC has said ASDs rose to what was originally 1 in 2000, to 1 in 88. In the latest DSM, since many have been diagnosed wrongly, they tightened the criteria to try and clear things up. Now, up to 40% of people who have been diagnosed as having an ASD are supposed to no longer qualify.

It bugs me because the people who really have the disorder are being watered down.. Example?
How about the person claiming to have cured their vaccine induced autistic kid with vitamins. People are going to stop taking it seriously if everyone claims to have it, when they don't. It will harm the people who actually do suffer from it and I am sure they feel the same way when they hear people making light of it when they have suffered for years.
I was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome a few years ago, but I still agree with you and question the legitimacy of this disorder. The proliferation of ASD diagnoses lately certainly invalidates the struggle that many severely Autistic people go through on a daily basis. I also wonder why Asperger's ever got lumped in with acutal autism in the first place. They seem so different to me. Asperger's is considered a high functioning form of autism, but what I have isn't comparable to someone who can't speak or verbalize feelings.

I must admit initially getting the Asperger's diagnosis was a relief because it provided a scapegoat for why I suck at life. I'm 36 now and have struggled a lot with employment and relationships. Despite many attempts to assimilate into the neurotypical world, I have led a life of relative social isolation and have no friends. I live in my own weird little world, and I've never been able to understand why I can't function like others do and why I have always acted so weird in social situations. So, in that regard, an ASD diagnosis has brought me and brings understanding to those who are different. I remember, before Asperger's was a thing, that I was diagnosed with ADHD at 6. I don't think I ever had ADHD, but my parents and teachers needed a reason to understand why I behaved the way I did. So I got put on Ritalin for the next 15 years. I never got to know myself because I was a drugged-out zombie.

So yeah, I think this Asperger's label is simply a justification for behavior. This can be a dangerous thing to a person's growth if he or she allows such a label to dictate his or her life path. If people see themselves as an Aspie, they might adhere to that and limit themselves on what they strive to be. It can get tied in with self-identity, but people diagnosed with ASD are so much more than these cluster of symptoms, and unlike actual autism, it doesn't have to be a debilitating disorder. However, people, myself included, have used it as an excuse not to do something. Have I suffered? Absolutely. But unlike those with autism, with hard work, I can still overcome barriers and achieve what I want in this life. So many getting diagnosed with an ASD definitely trivializes autism and does no favors to those who are on the low-functioning part of the spectrum.

Due to so many people being diagnosed with ASD today, it does make it easier to explain behavior to others. I know I have used it before to help others understand me. It's kind of telling that today you can just tell somebody you have Asperger's and that automatically explains why you act so weird. Thanks to mass murderers like Elliot Rodger and Adam Lanza, who both were reported to have Asperger's, the disorder has become synonymous with mental illness. It almost seems like the media is using ASD as a justification for Rodger's and Lanza's killing sprees. I can't emphasize enough that ASD isn't a mental illness. Those with ASD often have co-morbid mental illnesses like schizophrenia, depression or narcissistic personality disorder. Those mental illnesses and possibly the side effects of the drugs used to treat them are more the culprit than ASD. Most creepy kids are just creepy kids and not mass murderers.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:55 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I have to agree.

I think back when I was in school and my parents were told to put me on Ritalin because I misbehaved all the time. They tried it and I was a zombie. they took me off it and said they'd rather have me "full-assclown" than a robot.

Yes, I had problems in school, I got into trouble a lot, almost didn't graduate because I failed pre-algebra three years in a row, even with summer school. I would get migraines so bad that I would see yellow spots in front of my eyes and would throw up. Finally my guidance counselor put me in PE my senior year so I could graduate with my class. During my adult life I have had challenges too. I had no concept of right from wrong, or rather, I didn't care. I went to jail for bad checks, DUI, embezzlement, failure to appear, you name it, and I went to jail for it. My dad always bailed me out until my mother put her foot down and then suddenly I was on my own and I figured out that was wrong behavior. It took a long time but I taught myself to act like a normal human being and follow the rules.

My point is, I probably would have been labeled as ADD or ADHD or Autistic if it were nowadays, but instead I was just an assclown. Many kids these days don't need these labels, they need discipline, and they should be made to follow the rules without being babied because they have "issues".

I have a 13yo niece who is Autistic, and you can tell she is different as soon as you meet her. She is slow, and very sensitive, cries at the drop of a hat, is socially awkward, and can't speak properly. I feel it does kids like her an injustice to label another kid who is just being a jerk, as Autistic. Even my niece has boundaries because her parents set them. A lot of parents hear "Autistic" and suddenly their kid is handicapped and needs all these special things, when really, the kid needs discipline.
lol.

God Bless the AssClowns!

They generally grow up to be the most fascinating people with priceless personalities that I love to be around.

I think I love you!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology