Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 06:49 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times

Advertisements

I know the feel all too well. I chug along on an easy 16,000 a year job which affords me a room and a mini fridge loaded with beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 06:55 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
I don't hate my life, but I no longer find any impetus for trying to "maximize" it. What is there to maximize, anyhow? I'm in a crappy position in life and I have very limited abilities. At best, I could spend 10 hard years of trying to improve myself, and maybe then I'd have a decent life. But by then I'd also be 35 and past my prime years of really being able to enjoy life. I can almost understand the mindset of people who just want to cruise through life partying until they die an early death. Anyone else have these feelings?
I think your fears have to do with society's paradigm about aging. You can enjoy life at 35, 43, 65, and 80.

What, exactly, are your limited abilities?

You do sound depressed, it's okay we all get into a major blue funk in our lives.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:56 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,648 times
I had a crappy job (and life) till I was 30 and then I met my wife, got a better job and started living. 25 is a bad age, on your own, no direction, etc. The best you can do at 25 is realize that your are only 25. The true value of a person is how they handle being down and then pick themselves up and continue down the road.

I have had bad times, but it always got better every time. Hang in there!

Old 06-27-2014, 07:06 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,160 times
Default Attitude is everything...

Young man, slow your roll, you should ratchet down and man up and stop your worrying and do some more to make yourself and others around you feel good about themselves instead of feeling overwhelmed, nothing in this world is easy or free nor should it be, stay in your lane and think positive about your future, seek out everything you enjoy in life, class up the gym, class up a good woman, go out and get yourself a **** hot muscle car, work hard, it helps your mind, body and soul greatly feel better about things and drive on living your life, looking at your glass half empty all the time is nonsense, be a man and stand tall proudly. Take charge of your life and find your way, it's a part of life. Only cupcakes give up and give in and you sound smarter.

Leadership skills are made over time, and you have plenty of time.

Good Luck
Knight

Old 06-27-2014, 08:38 AM

543 posts, read 703,221 times
Quote:
I don't hate my life, but I no longer find any impetus for trying to "maximize" it. What is there to maximize, anyhow? I'm in a crappy position in life and I have very limited abilities. At best, I could spend 10 hard years of trying to improve myself, and maybe then I'd have a decent life. But by then I'd also be 35 and past my prime years of really being able to enjoy life. I can almost understand the mindset of people who just want to cruise through life partying until they die an early death. Anyone else have these feelings?

This post brings me back to college days when the Punkers used to sing about these ponderings all the time. "go to school go to work got to hell you F...ing jerk this is life there's little more, so what the hell you working for?"
Those were truly the "salad days"

Old 06-27-2014, 08:44 AM

82 posts, read 110,713 times
No offense but Honestly, It seems like you can't handle the simple task of life. I understand you though, you see a lot of people walking around with this non-substance demeanor.

Good luck my friend, try taking life in to your own hands, allow for yourself to live, test your limits and take more risk. Be free!

Old 06-27-2014, 10:24 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I think your fears have to do with society's paradigm about aging. You can enjoy life at 35, 43, 65, and 80.
I think you've nailed it. Society has rendered aging as a horror, and the elderly as people who shouldn't be seen and should be stored away.

I believe a lot of the sadness people are feeling nowadays has to do with how materialistic, isolated (from other humans), shallow, and unrealistic life has become. Not saying some people don't have a propensity to get sad and depressed. They do. However, this society isn't conducive to socializing, a feeling of security, comfort and joy. When those things are missing, those who have a propensity to get depressed, are the first ones to get depressed. Just my view.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:50 AM

240 posts, read 240,406 times
You should try nihilism on for size. I've become a nihilist. The philosophy states that existence has no intrinsic meaning, value or purpose. Also that all morality is externally contrived, and does not exist outside of a cultural or societal context.

We're all just here waiting to die, and after that, it's just blackness. Your consciousness is gone and it may as well have never existed.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:49 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,647,517 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceShamWow View Post
You should try nihilism on for size. I've become a nihilist. The philosophy states that existence has no intrinsic meaning, value or purpose. Also that all morality is externally contrived, and does not exist outside of a cultural or societal context.

We're all just here waiting to die, and after that, it's just blackness. Your consciousness is gone and it may as well have never existed.
What a sad existence the two of you have. Perhaps a meetup is in order...you know, misery loves company.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:20 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,120,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceShamWow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
What a sad existence the two of you have. Perhaps a meetup is in order...you know, misery loves company.
Why do you assume this poster lives a sad existence? He may be perfectly satisfied with his philosophy about life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology