Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:41 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,094,372 times

Advertisements

I don't think it is a matter of masculinity or femininity but of someone who is viewed as "strong" versus someone viewed as "weak".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 06:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
50 years of change
pineapple upside down cake. everything in the last 50 years has been turned upside down.
men are bad. women are good.

a woman that claws her way to the top is courageous and fearless
a man that does it is a bully
when a woman assaults a man she was angry she was lashing out in frustration and desperation, a victim and object of compasson.
when a man assaults a woman its violence and abuse and he is a criminal.
when a woman files for divorce she is a victim even if she takes him to the cleaners which is the usual.
if a man does it he is abandoning his family and leaving them destitute.
if a married man cheats he is a devil
if the woman that cheats with him is single there is no wrong doing committed on her part, she is not married. get this it is his wrongdoing not hers!!!
when a man is assertive he is rude
when a woman is assertive she is courageous.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:20 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,194 times
"Girls can wear jeans
And cut their hair short
Wear shirts and boots
'Cause it's OK to be a boy
But for a boy to look like a girl is degrading
Because you think that being a girl is degrading"

- Madonna What It Feels Like For A Girl

Old 07-22-2014, 07:41 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
"Girls can wear jeans
And cut their hair short
Wear shirts and boots
'Cause it's OK to be a boy
But for a boy to look like a girl is degrading
Because you think that being a girl is degrading"

- Madonna What It Feels Like For A Girl
This is ironic since if a man does something that is considered femnine, he will surely catch more grief from women than he will other men. I speak from experience on this one.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:32 AM

726 posts, read 1,228,791 times
Cause you may need a strong female around, who needs another sissy girl?

Old 07-23-2014, 05:00 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,332 times
I would say that a full-on manly woman isn't really considered attractive the same way a full-on feminine guy isn't considered attractive.

Even if women are doing more traditionally 'manly' things, they're still women and they're not acting like men-- they're just not helpless, childlike or needy. I don't think that any of those things are exclusively feminine, though I do think this 'softer' generation of men who had video games instead of a great war/draft are probably more likely to feel threatened by women who aren't smaller/weaker/less mature/less intelligent... they've never really had that male bonding experience and aren't true warriors, so it's difficult for them to find women who are softer and weaker than they are.

Modern women can take care of themselves-- it's a good thing. But at the same time they know that most guys don't want to end up with a wife with rough skin, huge muscles, etc... if she goes out to play football with the guys every weekend and the other guys are afraid of her, I'm guessing that she's not going to have a huge lineup of guys following her around.

If a guy tries to be pretty, it's probably fine or even more attractive than a 'normal' guy, as long as he doesn't actually go all the way to spoiled socialite princess or 'one of the girls'. I'm thinking Kurt Cobain or Johnny Depp or something like that... someone who can put on eyeliner or wear a dress and end up looking good. The type of feminine that isn't going to go over well is the interior decorator guy on HGTV, asking the girls if his pants make his butt look big or giving out beauty tips to middle aged women... who enjoys going clothes shopping together and likes to gossip about trivial BS.

I would say that even some homosexual experiences are socially acceptable/borderline mainstream, so long as they're not enjoyed too much and can be written off as 'experimentation' or a fad or whatever.

There are still lines that can't be crossed for both gender... sexually, socially, physically, crossing those lines will lead to your losing the acceptance of mainstream society, or at the very least written off as exclusively homosexual.

Last edited by Spatula City; 07-23-2014 at 05:14 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 05:13 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,730,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
Cause you may need a strong female around, who needs another sissy girl?
Strong girls rule. Girl power!

Old 07-23-2014, 05:27 PM

72 posts, read 231,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
I would say that a full-on manly woman isn't really considered attractive the same way a full-on feminine guy isn't considered attractive.

Even if women are doing more traditionally 'manly' things, they're still women and they're not acting like men-- they're just not helpless, childlike or needy. I don't think that any of those things are exclusively feminine, though I do think this 'softer' generation of men who had video games instead of a great war/draft are probably more likely to feel threatened by women who aren't smaller/weaker/less mature/less intelligent... they've never really had that male bonding experience and are more like houseplants or unstable creeps than true warriors.

Modern women can take care of themselves-- it's a good thing. But at the same time they know that most guys don't want to end up with a wife with rough skin, huge muscles, etc... if she goes out to play football with the guys every weekend and the other guys are afraid of her, I'm guessing that she's not going to have a huge lineup of guys following her around.

But there are lines that can't be crossed for both gender... sexually, socially, physically, crossing those lines will lead to your losing the acceptance of mainstream society.

If a guy tries to be pretty, it's probably fine or even more attractive than a 'normal' guy, as long as he doesn't actually go all the way to spoiled socialite princess or 'one of the girls'. I'm thinking Kurt Cobain or Johnny Depp or something like that... someone who can put on eyeliner or wear a dress and end up looking good. The type of feminine that isn't going to go over well is the interior decorator guy on HGTV, asking the girls if his pants make his butt look big or giving out beauty tips to middle aged women... who enjoys going clothes shopping together and likes to gossip about trivial BS.

I would say that even some homosexual experiences are socially acceptable/borderline mainstream, so long as they're not enjoyed too much and can be written off as 'experimentation' or a fad or whatever.
I completely agree with you that there is a line that cannot be crossed for masculine women if they want to attract men. But I also think the examples you gave really demonstrated my point. In our society, no one really criticizes straight women who enjoy partaking in activities like football or paintball. In fact a lot of guys that are into sports love the idea of playing football with their girlfriends. No one makes the assumption that a woman who is into things like football, paintball, hunting, etc is gay or bi. But if a straight guy is really into fashion, shopping, manicures/pedicures, giving out beauty tips, etc he often catches a lot of flack for it and is accused of being gay or at least bi. That's just the reality of the matter.

So there is a line, but it seems like it's MUCH easier for men to cross the line of being "too feminine" than it is for women to cross the line of being "too masculine".

Old 07-23-2014, 05:36 PM

72 posts, read 231,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Masculine females and feminine men are still the most friendzoned group of people

But are masculine women friendzoned nearly as much as feminine men are? I believe the answer to that question is a definitive "No".

Old 07-23-2014, 06:17 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, it seems like you've missed out on the social change that's been going on the last 20 years. And your premiss is faulty from the get-go. Women DO go for men who are shy and timid--I've seen women do that. I know women who went after, and married, the shy guys. Think about it: one advantage is that you'll never have to worry about him strutting around, looking for an opportunity to cheat. They're very devoted, and tend to be very dependable. Those are some prime marriage qualities.
The ONLY women I have seen go for shy/timid type guys are the manipulative type that know they can control them and get whatever they want out of them. Not because they really love or respect them. Any woman that actually loves/cares about a timid guy is putting him in the friend zone. Women just aren't attracted to that in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology