Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 04:01 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times

Advertisements

UCLA’s Center on Everyday Lives and Families (CELF) conducted an interesting study of the psychological effects of clutter in the home, as part of its work on Life at Home in the 21st Century (see book info below). The sociologists "explored in real time the relationship between 32 California families and the thousands of objects in their homes." Among their findings was a link between high cortisol (the stress hormone) in female subjects in relationship to a high density of objects in their home. Men, interestingly, did not show this physical reaction, although they may have their mood effected negatively when "stuff" is covering any flat object in their surroundings.

The study also showed that even people who wish to address the fact that they are overwhelmed by clutter are virtually paralyzed to do anything about it. The two biggest reasons are a sentimental attachment to objects and/or a belief in the monetary value of these objects they know they should get rid of.

Here's a link to an article about the study.
Clutter and Depression | Life at Home in the Twenty-First Century

Do you see this relationship in your life?

Do you believe even people who don't achieve the level of "hoarder" can still be depressed by being overwhelmed by their attachment to objects?

Have you effectively addressed this problem?

Do you think this is basically an American problem? If so, why?

CELF has released an entire book on their nine years of research on Life at Home in the 21st Century. It explores many aspects of American consumerism and its effect on how we live.
Life at Home in the Twenty-First Century: 32 Families Open Their Doors: Jeanne E. Arnold, Anthony P. Graesch, Enzo Ragazzini, Elinor Ochs: 0884181112833: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 11-12-2014 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: format
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 05:45 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
I don't know if it's the clutter that's making them depressed or their depression that's causing the clutter.

I know for me, personally, when my life is out of control and I'm feeling depressed, my home shows it. There is stuff everywhere, clutter, junk, etc. When I'm feeling good about myself, my place is clean, tidy, and I do a purge to get rid of extra stuff.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:51 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
I don't think the people really believe the stuff has value but say that because it makes the situation seem more rational. Some people are simply too lazy to keep things in order and just let it mount up until the point that they feel like there is no way they can ever get control of it or probably their life. I believe these people are just overwhelmed with everything in the first place and the hoarding it just another symptom.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:09 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times
I cannot stand clutter. It makes my anxiety skyrocket. It leaves me feeling depressed. Maybe I am the opposite?

Old 11-12-2014, 09:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I can't speak for hoarders. I'm not one. Lack of energy causes my clutter. I have no problem tossing things when I have the energy to do it. My lack of energy has nothing to do with depression. I have a B-12 deficiency that medication doesn't fully resolve.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:08 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
I had a friend who is a hoarder. This woman has papers literally from the floor to the ceiling in her apartment. She has 3 dogs who crap and pee all over and she never cleans it. She has bags and bags of junk that she will not get rid of.

Her entire life is completely out of control and she won't admit it to anyone. I'm sure she's also depressed but won't admit it. She refuses help, even when the Dept of Health was called and she was fined for the garbage and the stench. She moved things around to give the appearance of it being cleaned up but it was back to "normal" within a week.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:22 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
I absolutely get depressed when my house is cluttered. It's totally correlated. And it isn't depression that causes it, it's the clutter that causes the depression, then the clutter gets worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology