Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 12:27 PM

10 posts, read 14,706 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I've recently become sort of obsessed with the "moving to [insert city here]" City-Data Forum postings. It strikes me that a large percentage of postings (and by that I mean original postings) are bogus. That is, many of these postings seem like the original poster is either misrepresenting their reality pretty significantly (how much money they make, their situation requiring them to move, etc.) or completely.

So, my question is, if my assumption is correct, why are they doing it? Fantasy role-playing? Boredom? Are they psychotic?

Another question is, why do so many people respond to what seem to be obviously bogus postings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 01:27 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,206,384 times
Why do you assume the posts are bogus?

Old 01-06-2015, 02:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I have seen cases where a person puts up the almost identical post in 5-6 different cities. They are obviously not going to move to all of them at the same time so it's obviously fake, probably just to get some small amount of attention that is lacking in their life from the responses. Just like the person that is obsessed with starting new threads over and over about the poor financial state of Stockton, CA, or the one that keeps starting new threads asking about jobs that have a lot of down time. You really have no way to know whether someone is misrepresenting their income, however.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:15 PM

20,397 posts, read 14,673,179 times
I would assume that they are trying to make serious comparisons of a variety of possible destinations that they are considering.

But I have yet to take the time to inspect people's posting histories. I have spent many an hour bored and responding to whatever on C-D but I have yet to get THAT bored.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:46 PM

10 posts, read 14,706 times
I don't assume all "moving" posts are bogus, but many of them do seem to be at least partially solely based on the naivete of the posts. When you say you can buy a million dollar home, then it's almost a sure bet that your RE agent can furnish you with all the info you need. But it seems weird that you'd be asking complete strangers where to send your kids to school.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:49 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthap View Post
But it seems weird that you'd be asking complete strangers where to send your kids to school.
Isn't that the point of the local threads, though? Someone may very well be looking at applying to jobs in several different cities, and who better to ask about what the good neighborhoods are or what the culture is like than people who live there (rather than someone who's trying to sell you a house by any means necessary?)

Old 01-06-2015, 02:52 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,757,525 times
There are lots of weird/creepy mentally unstable people on here. And yes, I too sometimes suspect that some of the "I'm moving to..." posts are just bogus.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:53 PM

20,397 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthap View Post
I don't assume all "moving" posts are bogus, but many of them do seem to be at least partially solely based on the naivete of the posts. When you say you can buy a million dollar home, then it's almost a sure bet that your RE agent can furnish you with all the info you need. But it seems weird that you'd be asking complete strangers where to send your kids to school.
Maybe they want "boots on the ground" opinions, from people with no incentive (monetary or otherwise) to slant the truth?

I first got introduced to C-D asking questions prior to a move to Colorado Springs, thanks to the military. I knew we were coming here, but didn't know where to look for a home, what schools were good or bad, or anything. At one point I looked at a house listing online that looked really cool, and posted with questions about it, and one of the Mods of that forum (a really great guy) actually drove over and had a look at it. He was able to clue me in that there were a lot of issues apparent in person that weren't represented at all in the listing. I don't know if the other locality forums are as good or have such helpful posters, but the CoS ones are awesome. So much so, that later I was a little shocked at some of the rougher elements on some of the other boards.

But I digress. I don't feel that test scores or demographics alone are a great indicator of school quality, so I was happy to hear from real people who live here.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:27 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,886 times
I think most people have real questions, but misrepresent themselves in order to protect their privacy. For example, maybe they don't want to tell their real job or their real home city or whatever. I don't see anything wrong with that - we have to take some precautions to protect our privacy on the internet, and not posting accurate details of our lives is one way to do that. I always change details, but try to still make it so that the answers I get will be applicable to the real situation.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:31 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I would definitely trust the opinion of the posters in the Dallas forum over any Dallas real estate agent any day of the week and 5 times on Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology