Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 07:58 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times

Advertisements

While I do believe in the pack mentality, this story is more about media sensationalism than the pack mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 08:53 PM

677 posts, read 673,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
I know about this incident. But I don't understand how you can get excited about pro football, unless you are either in the sport or personally know someone who is. I find it fascinating that people think they have anything in common with the team or its players but it means so much to them personally. I don't get it at all. I can get excited about any sport, but I have to know someone who is personally playing in it first.
I don't like jazz, but I understand some people do ... Asking this question would be like me asking "Duh, how do people like jazz? If they don't play it or know anybody who does, why would they go see a jazz band? Doy ... I don't understand."

It's entertainment, people enjoy watching the competiveness and beauty of the game, waiting for the outcome. It's also a reason for family and friends to get together and have a good time. Gamblers enjoy it, also. Having a rooting interest in the outcome of the game makes it interesting ...
People mainly watch for the same reason some watch a theater show, movie or music concert - because they enjoy it. I don't understand how people don't get that it's entertainment. I don't know anybody who thinks they have anything in common with the team and it's players ...

Old 01-24-2015, 10:01 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,969,066 times
The media has crammed that down our throats. Tonight all networks had the coach making another statement today going into the air temperature effects on the PSI of the footballs.

Yes, I can see pack mentality and who is leading it and feeding the events, the media and internet. When the guy in Australia held the hostages in that chocolate shop. The media was all over it and the pack joined in "kill him, kill him." When Michael Vick was involved in dog fighting, the media fed the masses, hang him from the highest tree. How many days did we have to suffer through Ray Rice and the elevator attack on his wife and watch Roger Goodell do a shuck and jive number.

We just turn it off and turn on Netflix.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:05 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
You think so?

If we are the highest order of life form on this planet, then why can we not? And, who's to say it hasn't ever happened in human history?

We humans like to flatter ourselves by THINKING we are the highest order and smart, but our actions don't confirm this a lot of times. We are warlike, hostile toward others, thieving, and dishonest at times. If we were truly as smart as we think we would devote our energies to solving world hunger, crime, and disease. But instead we look for ways to destroy our planet and our fellow man.

Nope, we are not as smart as we think we are ! Whoever planted us here must be very disappointed in his experiment.

Don

Old 01-25-2015, 09:44 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Unless you are living under a rock or a soft football, you must know about Deflate Gate leading up to the Super Bowl.

In watching the coverage as this story unfolds, I have been looking at this from how humans act and react. The simple fact is as I write this, other than knowing some balls were under-inflated, there are no facts yet. The court of public opinion has taken over. It's a frenzy with accusations flying and peoples integrity and legacies being challenged. Everyone has jumped on this bandwagon, like a pack of animals.

Humans are the highest order of life form on this planet. We are on the top because of this pack mentality I believe. I find it interesting, but also for me it explains all of the wars and fights and all other events in history pitting one pack of humans against another. A group with the same beliefs gets strong enough to fight opposing groups who don't believe in what they do. Democrats versus Republicans, Christians versus Jews - in general those tags or realities put a group of people in a pack.

The "Why Can't We All Get Along" statements many put out to put people at ease will never happen in this world. It's in humans DNA to band together, no different then a pack of wolves. I think we all know it's always been this way, but in watching something as stupid as Deflate Gate blow up to a worldwide issue (just because the business of the NFL is so big) is amazing. Watching various camps of though band together - those who presume guilt before innocence; players in the NFL split on their feelings. Humans are amazing and stupid creatures.
For anyone interested in this subject, check out some of the highly readable books written by Edward O. Wilson - probably the world's most distinguished evolutionary biologist. Humans have a very real need to belong to a group - especially one of like-minded people.

Yes, we humans have evolved to be pack creatures. It was our ties with other members of the group that allowed us to not only survive, but ultimately to thrive. According to Wilson, we are hard-wired to believe that our group is better than any other out there. When it comes right down to it, members of a group will even sacrifice their lives for one another - just like the soldiers in a combat platoon.

This evolutionary hard wiring of ours can result in great acts of altruism and incredible displays of courage among our fellow men. A complete stranger who sees a small child in danger will rush to her rescue even if he puts his own life in danger by doing so. The dark side of human social organization is the development of the mob mentality you discussed in your post. We don't only save children because we are social animals, we also blow up the World Trade Center or carpet bomb Iraq, writing off the deaths of thousands of civilians as "collateral damage."

We now truly live in a "global village" where it is one thing to become passionate about a super bowl team, quite another to become passionate about a jihad, leading to the deaths of thousands - even sometimes millions - of our fellow human beings. In today's society with all our social media, our technology, and our weapons of mass destruction, it has become imperative for mankind to find ways to use our innate pack mentality for the greater good rather than the greater evil. Our very existence as a species depends upon it.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:31 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don't think its anything to do with pack. Its a human trait that socially has been around since the first rumor started. This thread is a perfect example the Op started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
While I do believe in the pack mentality, this story is more about media sensationalism than the pack mentality.
I look at this through various glasses. Yes I understand the medias role, to report a story and sensationalize it because that's what the media does.

But in watching all the stories, I have seen several camps of thought, those camps equating to packs. Someone says cheat, and everyone else who believes in that follows with the pack. Some say over blown, and again people who believe that join in the pack.

I think this whole story highlights the pack mentality in humans.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:47 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
I don't like jazz, but I understand some people do ... Asking this question would be like me asking "Duh, how do people like jazz? If they don't play it or know anybody who does, why would they go see a jazz band? Doy ... I don't understand."

It's entertainment, people enjoy watching the competiveness and beauty of the game, waiting for the outcome. It's also a reason for family and friends to get together and have a good time. Gamblers enjoy it, also. Having a rooting interest in the outcome of the game makes it interesting ...
People mainly watch for the same reason some watch a theater show, movie or music concert - because they enjoy it. I don't understand how people don't get that it's entertainment. I don't know anybody who thinks they have anything in common with the team and it's players ...
I don't even get what's entertaining about it. It's not the same as with jazz. I understand the appeal of that even though it's not my cup of tea (speaking of tea I don't like tea but I understand why people drink it) There are some things you just don't get.
Not going to say anything about gambling except if you have the money to blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We humans like to flatter ourselves by THINKING we are the highest order and smart, but our actions don't confirm this a lot of times. We are warlike, hostile toward others, thieving, and dishonest at times. If we were truly as smart as we think we would devote our energies to solving world hunger, crime, and disease. But instead we look for ways to destroy our planet and our fellow man.

Nope, we are not as smart as we think we are ! Whoever planted us here must be very disappointed in his experiment.

Don
I think the same. We may have certain abilities but we don't know how to put our abilities to use. We have bigger brains but they say we only use 10 percent of it. Many animals are undoubtedly more intelligent than us.
I wouldn't even say we're fully evolved either because the "fight or flight response" is broken. Panic attacks used to have their purpose but I know every single panic attack I have isn't necessary.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I look at this through various glasses. Yes I understand the medias role, to report a story and sensationalize it because that's what the media does.

But in watching all the stories, I have seen several camps of thought, those camps equating to packs. Someone says cheat, and everyone else who believes in that follows with the pack. Some say over blown, and again people who believe that join in the pack.

I think this whole story highlights the pack mentality in humans.
I don't know if you watch "The Simpsons" or not, but did you ever notice how the writers ALWAYS have the crowd stick together? They're either all for something or all against it.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I don't even get what's entertaining about it. It's not the same as with jazz. I understand the appeal of that even though it's not my cup of tea (speaking of tea I don't like tea but I understand why people drink it) There are some things you just don't get.
Not going to say anything about gambling except if you have the money to blow

You don't get that people enjoy violence and athleticism?!

Old 01-25-2015, 01:10 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
You don't get that people enjoy violence and athleticism?!
I really don't. What's entertaining about watching someone throwing or kicking a ball around and I sure don't understand violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology