Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 08:22 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times

Advertisements

I failed an exam yesterday, and it was for a class taught by the professor I do research with, which created a very bad first impression. I also failed to secure an internship after several interviews. Both of these failures are tearing me into shreds. I had a brief period of suicide thoughts, but showered in cold water to shock myself and successfully prevent me from thinking in such a way.

How do I overcome such situations ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 08:52 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Why did you fail the exam? Didn't you study? Since it's a first impression of your professor when did the research begin? Surely you know why you failed the exam. so why did you? Do you spend a lot of time on the internet?

Old 02-14-2015, 09:31 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Why did you fail the exam? Didn't you study? Since it's a first impression of your professor when did the research begin? Surely you know why you failed the exam. so why did you? Do you spend a lot of time on the internet?
I failed due to stupid mistakes, which I could have very well avoided, and poor time management. I did spend lots of time on the internet because we use a course website to access study material, which I used to prepare for the test. My research started 2 months back. I don't know, I'm one of the students who actively participates in answering and asking questions in lecture. Sadly, it just didn't translate into good exam scores .

Old 02-14-2015, 09:35 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Dust yourself off and keep going.
This is grit.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:39 PM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
All you can do is focus on what you could have done to prepare better, and improve upon it for next time. I have a poor memory and couldn't just read and remember, so I had to write flashcards and quiz cards for myself, dozens of them for every test, and go over them and over them. It took forever but I graduated Magna *** Laude.

You should find someone objective to evaluate the impression you make, do some "mock interviews" with a friend, join Toastmasters, but improve your ability to communicate what you have to offer.

My advice to let go of this test and the interviews, they are over and done, and focus on putting forth more effort for the next test and preparing for the next interview.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:49 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Adi, get back on the horse and ride...

i know its your belief system,,,but i couldn't function being a 22 yr old virgin going to college...not even date

with all the pretty girls around, it would be like a starving man sitting in a restaurant, not being able to order the food, and watching others eat.....i wouldn't be able to think straight

just saying

don't be so hard on yourself

Old 02-15-2015, 06:19 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
Welcome to the real world where everyone fails at some time in their life. We pick ourselves up, have a good cry then get on with improving ourselves. Given your background and social/psychological problems, I would highly suggest chatting with your school counselor for some extra support.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:29 AM

677 posts, read 673,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I failed an exam yesterday, and it was for a class taught by the professor I do research with, which created a very bad first impression. I also failed to secure an internship after several interviews. Both of these failures are tearing me into shreds. I had a brief period of suicide thoughts, but showered in cold water to shock myself and successfully prevent me from thinking in such a way.

How do I overcome such situations ?
We all have our limitations, know your's.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:20 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,011,702 times
I'm in a similar place.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:23 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I failed due to stupid mistakes, which I could have very well avoided, and poor time management. I did spend lots of time on the internet because we use a course website to access study material, which I used to prepare for the test. My research started 2 months back. I don't know, I'm one of the students who actively participates in answering and asking questions in lecture. Sadly, it just didn't translate into good exam scores .
I don't know, Adi. When I asked about time spent on the internet, I definitely wasn't thinking it would be for studying... more like you were goofing off. If it was for studying and you were preparing for the test, that's different. I don't have anything else to say other than I'm sorry your efforts weren't what you needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology