Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 08:49 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Do you ever feel like you don't quite "get" joiner, team and 'tribal' behaviors, like maybe you kinda missed out on the "tribal" gene? For example, like when folks go "how about those Mets, Broncos, Raiders, whatever", and you haven't a clue (and could probably care less)?
Or at it's most extreme, the uber-patriotic and xenophobic types (aka, "my country, right or wrong" and "you ain't from around here, are 'ya boy?").

And if you're not a 'tribal' type of person, then how do you 'adapt'?
Try to search out other Freethinking types. You may find in the future that you identify with the tribal people again, or not necessarily with their ideas, but that you may get along with them sometimes. But it's good to have a balance of both types of friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 10:24 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Not sure about a "tribal gene" but definitely some of us are outcasts and loners. I don't care much for team sports at all and I certainly don't think my country, or any country is better than any other.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:33 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Do you ever feel like you don't quite "get" joiner, team and 'tribal' behaviors, like maybe you kinda missed out on the "tribal" gene? For example, like when folks go "how about those Mets, Broncos, Raiders, whatever", and you haven't a clue (and could probably care less)?
Or at it's most extreme, the uber-patriotic and xenophobic types (aka, "my country, right or wrong" and "you ain't from around here, are 'ya boy?").

Yeah, I'm not at all a tribal person. I couldn't care less about teams, sports, extreme patriotism is just embarrassing imho (normal, quiet patriotism is fine), and I can't be riled into the mob mentality.

Hell, even if a friend or family member of mine is in an argument with a stranger, I won't hesitate to agree with whomever I felt was in the right...even if it's the stranger.

I just think that logic and thinking for one's self trumps the pack mentality.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:41 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
I am a loner-introvert, but I don't believe you have to be an introvert to not have that "tribal gene." I've known introverts who still attach themselves a "tribe" (like a sports team). And I've known extraverts who don't becomes tribe members.

So I don't think this tribalism is purely an introvert-extravert thing. It's more like the people choose that particular role as their primary role in life.

Where I live, there is a huge phenomenon of Penn State alumni and fans. People who attended the school still wear clothes and put stickers on their cars and flags on their houses, even if they went there 20 years ago. People who didn't even attend the school decide they are Penn State fans, and display all the swag too.

I also notice this with breast cancer survivors who go "pink." Everything for them is pink pink pink. They might be mothers, wives, professionals, but they make their primary role in life "pink cancer survivor."

We all have a bunch of roles in our lives: parent, partner, friend, neighbor, citizen, club member, professional, but it seems like these "tribal" people choose that one role as the most important one in their lives.

Some of my roles are dog-lover, 2nd amendment defender, amateur genealogist, history buff, but I have no impulse to walk around in sweatshirts that say this, or get tattoos on my body that proclaim it. I like wine, but unlike some wine lovers I know, I will not wear clothing that has statements about wine on it or grape cluster earrings, or replace my Facebook profile picture with something about wine. But the tribal people do this.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:17 AM

202 posts, read 231,337 times
Ooooh...I am definitely missing the "tribal" gene. I have, all my life, tried to be rabid about something to fit in, but it never worked. Some would say that I lean toward being anti-social. If so, being anti-social works for me. I like people, don't get me wrong, but I like animals better.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:34 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,603,907 times
I'm definitely a Patriot, but I'm Devonian first after that I'm English(not British), as far as people are concerned I'm not interested in them, I prefer animals and nature and countryside and peace and quiet.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:37 AM

520 posts, read 776,170 times
No offense to anyone and I don't mean to derail an otherwise civil conversation, but I think this pretty well sums up the message in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFsn9rNCtxA

Old 03-11-2015, 12:05 PM

3,499 posts, read 2,664,329 times
I’m a loner that needs to be alone and yes, words can hurt.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I just say; sorry I don't keep up with that. Nothing about any gene; we are just interested in different things is all. No big deal.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:09 PM

18 posts, read 40,010 times
Quote:

I thought this was called being an introvert, which I am. However, I do love me some football. But I'm not going to up and join some club where we meet every Sunday to watch a game. I couldn't stand that. I hate clubs in general unless it's wine club. I'm down with wine club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology