Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 04:02 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times

Advertisements

When I was younger I had a best friend that was insanely gorgeous and I wanted to more than friends and she did not and we lost contact after a while but as I grew older I have many gorgeous friends that are just friends. It's part of being an adult and growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 11:53 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
I should point out there is a big difference between being friends with an attractive woman and being friends with an attractive woman you made a move on. I have a lot of attractive female friends but I would never make a move on them. Now if I put myself out there and ask one out and she rejects me, how in the hell am I supposed to look at her with a straight face and just be friends and forget that embarassing rejection?

Old 04-22-2015, 01:28 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It's called real life. Lots of things we want in life we'll never have. That's normal and accepting is part of growing up. Take the high road.
What's the high road, being friends with someone you'd really rather be lovers with. That's not taking the high road, that's lying to yourself.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Depends on your definition of friend.

Some guys think pretty much every girl is sexually attractive. So then he can't be around girls unless they are naked? What about school and work and the gym, and parties, etc. etc. Girls are everywhere and you do have to interact with them. What's wrong with one of those interactions being friendship, if the girl is someone that has the traits of other people you consider friends. Sexual attraction isn't everything, or even the most important thing. There's nothing like a real friend who has your back, and you never know who that could be.
I've never known of a guy who is that desperate to where they think every single girl they see is sexually attractive. If there are some like that then that is a problem in of itself.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Ladies, y'all need to understand some things about men.

When you friend-zone us, it is a form of rejection. It says to us "you're good enough to talk to, but not good enough to love or to have sex with."

Men are the opposite of women: we don't want to have a lot of friends, especially a lot of female friends. We want a few guy friends, and we want a very close connection with one woman.
Naw, female friends are good to have. It's just easier to have female friends when you are not romantically attracted to them which is pretty much my point.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
I would say female friends are a normal and healthy thing to want. As opposed to trying to get all your human needs met by a dog. That just seems sad and dysfunctional.
If they seem find with it then more power to them. With such a judgmental attitude I can see why some people prefer dogs.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:21 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
IMHO, women want men friends for their own personal advantage, not because they want to help or do nice things for them. So why would a man want to be a friend of an attractive woman who has no interest in him as a mate. Men might have women friends, but in a whole lot of cases, they are hoping to turn it into something more.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:26 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
IMHO, women want men friends for their own personal advantage, not because they want to help or do nice things for them. So why would a man want to be a friend of an attractive woman who has no interest in him as a mate. Men might have women friends, but in a whole lot of cases, they are hoping to turn it into something more.
Because not all people are users. Plenty are. But not all. Especially when you look outside of whatever circle you know, at people of all ages, races, classes, cultures...people are people. Some are caregivers, listeners, nurturers...some just want to have a good time, party, have some laughs. Some people aren't living life mindlessly pursuing ulterior motives.

And I would go so far as to say that, if this is all you see, keep searching because you haven't found the good people, and if this is YOU, then you have some growin' up to do.

But I do acknowledge that in some cases, there is a chemistry that is hard to deny, and if it is acknowledged, it can change everything and make it very difficult to continue being "just friends."

People are just complicated. Sometimes we are more than our most basic urges, and sometimes we are less.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:17 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Sonic: For me, I just find it unlikely I'd find any woman who would want to be my friend. I like video games, ride motorcycles, go bowling, am interested in business, stock market, investments, and sports. I've never even met a woman who has similar interests, so its hard for me to imagine any woman would want to be my friend.

In my experience, women usually ask me to do things for them. The only thing I can think of when I've needed a woman's help is in the store, trying to figure out if a pair of pants was black or dark blue.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:11 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Sonic: For me, I just find it unlikely I'd find any woman who would want to be my friend. I like video games, ride motorcycles, go bowling, am interested in business, stock market, investments, and sports. I've never even met a woman who has similar interests, so its hard for me to imagine any woman would want to be my friend.

In my experience, women usually ask me to do things for them. The only thing I can think of when I've needed a woman's help is in the store, trying to figure out if a pair of pants was black or dark blue.
I agree on a whole with what you are saying but I have a few female friends that are gorgeous near model looking that like sports and we are just friends, southern women in general are very good looking and a lot of them are just like the guys but they just look better than women from other parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology