Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 04:59 PM

170 posts, read 373,351 times

Advertisements

You never realize how much hair matters until you start losing it. Your hair is what frames your face. The reason that human beings have it in the first is to attract mates. Fortunately for me, I've only experienced temple recession thus far. I can still grow out my hair long enough to cover up my receded temples and frame my face nicely. And at age 24, I'm better off than a lot of guys I know, who've lost it all. Yet I'm petrified that my loss might continue and at some point I won't have enough to style and frame my face. The thought of one day being a short, bald guy is devastating. Baldness totally takes away your identity and makes you look creepy and sick. Some bald guys never get over the fact. I've noticed that a disproportionate number of guys working out at the gym are bald. Hair loss is a cancer of the soul. By the way, a lot of cancer patients say that the best thing about recovering from cancer was getting their hair back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 06:02 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Do you actually think your balding is NOT going to progress?

Losing your hair at your age tends to happen quickly. You'll have a "monk's pate" by age 30 and more bald areas than hair by 40.

Better start developing a good personality.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:10 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Also, in the last week you have posted about your psychological trauma related to job hunting, dating and now balding. You have talked about committing suicide.

Your father is a renowned physician in Seattle and you have family money. Can't you have him prescribe you something and get a good therapist?

A lot of people here suffer without having anything close to the resources you have and refuse to use.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:18 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,824,752 times
It's your choice to let it bother you or not. I chose not to spend one second being sad about my hair loss. It's common and most people don't judge you harshly for it.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:01 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
You never realize how much hair matters until you start losing it. Your hair is what frames your face. The reason that human beings have it in the first is to attract mates. Fortunately for me, I've only experienced temple recession thus far. I can still grow out my hair long enough to cover up my receded temples and frame my face nicely. And at age 24, I'm better off than a lot of guys I know, who've lost it all. Yet I'm petrified that my loss might continue and at some point I won't have enough to style and frame my face. The thought of one day being a short, bald guy is devastating. Baldness totally takes away your identity and makes you look creepy and sick. Some bald guys never get over the fact. I've noticed that a disproportionate number of guys working out at the gym are bald. Hair loss is a cancer of the soul. By the way, a lot of cancer patients say that the best thing about recovering from cancer was getting their hair back.
This my friend is why you don't put all your worth into your appearance. Seek help.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:00 PM

170 posts, read 373,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Do you actually think your balding is NOT going to progress?
It's common for a guy's hairline to recede and then stabilize at a certain point. Male Pattern Baldness is not an all-or-nothing arrangement. By middle age, the vast majority of men don't have a full head of hair and aren't bald either; they have something in between, and usually enough hair to style, if they take the effort to. The only relative I had who was mostly-bald was my paternal grandfather. The rest of the males don't have significant hair loss. Like I said, I'm in a better position than most dudes.

Quote:
Losing your hair at your age tends to happen quickly. You'll have a "monk's pate" by age 30 and more bald areas than hair by 40.
I study hairlines on a daily basis. No two men's hairlines end up the exact same. Some guys don't lose any on the crown. Some only lose it on the crown, and their temples are unaffected. Some see it diffuse all around. Etc.

Last edited by TheSoundOfMuzak; 01-05-2014 at 09:10 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 08:33 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Don't despair. You are far from alone. The Hairsite forum is full of men talking about the trauma of it. My friend went bald at 18.

Start with generic minoxodil NOW. Also, transplants these days are very well done, if you go to the right place. I have seen the results personally. And the studies of cloning hair are rapidly advancing and may be available when you need them.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:57 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
bro, u need to like chill out.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:01 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Rogaine will really help keep the hair you have. Please don't freak out so much. It is hard to start losing hair at such an early stage, but women don't care that much about hair. The sexiest/hottest ladies I know all married balding men. I personally feel like they have more testosterone and are very masculine. the men...not the ladies.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:03 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,876 times
Your anxiety about baldness is way worse than being bald. It's way sexier to shave your head and own it than to be in denial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology