Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 09:53 PM

5,010 posts, read 592,542 times

Advertisements

Thoughts create reality.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 09:54 PM

607 posts, read 602,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
Why do people get their feelings 'hurt' by what others say? Because they 'believe' what is said to/about them. If you don't believe, then you don't emote to the statements. (or to your own thoughts).
Why are some children afraid of the 'bogyman' concept? Because they don't recognize they 'believe' the concept.
This sounds like what I learned when doing Landmark Education (which I would NEVER recommend--I did it 10 years ago because my ex-boyfriend pressured me into it; I think it's a creepy cult). Anyway, the whole premise is that you have "stories" (also could be called "beliefs") about incidents that happened to you--we as humans make up the meanings of things, when in actuality, nothing really means anything--we are the ones who make it mean whatever we choose. We ourselves make up what means what, what we believe about what. The point of it is that when you realize YOU are making up what things mean, then you have the power to change it. Is that kind of what you're talking about, OP? If not, well, it's what I thought of anyway.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:19 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Thank you; what a wonderful experience you've experienced. I want more people to experience "...a shift happens....".
The "shift" seems like a miracle, but it is part of the human condition. We can't "make" it happen ,but we 'set up the conditions conducive for it to occur.
It's so nice to hear of your "shift". Thank you for sharing it.
Ah, a person that 'got' shift and then said seems like a miracle. ( Yay!)Bless you my child, hahaha! Because I didn't go on and say what was my next step...but now
I will, to you...prob should
do this in a DM, private message...but it's ok....

ACIM, "A Course In Miracles"....ever hear of that book? It's a self-study.
365 Lessons...a sentence a day we ponder...that's it.
But by doing 'The Course', a Mind Shift happens....I gotta tell ya...by Lesson 28....
I SAW myself looking at a situation like I never would have!
I already had a 'shift'....it blew my mind. (Because it says it will happen...)

Haha, I just spent 2 weeks with my sister, alone, husband gone...nothing
can trigger us like family!
I watched myself...NOT react, be fine, mellow, easy-going, unruffled...as she was the
exact same OCD nut she always is....funny and loving, also.
(Common sentence from Miss Virgo for 2 weeks: "This goes right here, always, exactly." hahaha)

Anyway, if you are ever interested, most of us would say, first read the book,
"The Disappearance of the Universe" by Gary Renard.

And YES! Thoughts create reality, allthatglitters!

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 09-22-2015 at 07:28 AM..

Old 09-22-2015, 07:25 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
... the whole premise is that you have "stories"
(also could be called "beliefs") about incidents that happened to you--
we as humans make up the meanings of things, when in actuality, nothing really means anything--
we are the ones who make it mean whatever we choose.
We ourselves make up what means what, what we believe about what.
The point of it is that when you realize YOU are making up what things mean, then
you have the power to change it....
Yes, yes and YES!

Apart from the cult stuff...you learned a great deal !!
Excellent..there is always a diamond to be found even in brainwashing, money cults, haha.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:58 AM

657 posts, read 407,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
We ourselves make up what means what, what we believe about what. The point of it is that when you realize YOU are making up what things mean, then you have the power to change it. Is that kind of what you're talking about, OP?
Yes; let me empathize your words; "...when you realize,(recognize)..."
You and Miss Hepburn understand what "I getting at". (and jtur88 "seems" to, but his "so what" is not helpful.)

Old 09-22-2015, 08:11 AM

Reply #34
quote; 'Yes, yes YES . Let me add another YES.
This thread is turning out as I hoped for, thank you, I hope that those who have not 'shifted' yet understand.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
Thoughts create reality.....
What was here before humans evolved; 'showed up' on this planet?

Let me add to what Miss Hepburn and TiffaNYC wrote.
Thoughts create a surrogate/ersatz/counterfeit reality we react to as it was equivalent to the reality that was/is here before mankind 'came'.
Recognizing what we do, is to be "FREE of that baloney" Miss Hepburn pointed out.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:44 AM

[quote=TiffaNYC;41287985] The point of it is that when you realize YOU are making up what things mean, then you have the power to change it. /QUOTE]

Yes: the point is not to 'belittle' constructing 'pseudo' reality, but to RECOGNIZE we have that ability and use it constructively. Why aren't we using it optimally? Because we don't recognize we have that ability and are UNWITTINGLY misusing it to our chagrin, (most of the time.)

Old 09-22-2015, 10:28 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
Believing has a broad spectrum of values.
I believe in my ability to build lift equipment because I do it and am very successful.
Faith in my equipment comes from regular use, and proving it repeatedly, even pushing it's limits occasionally.
Some one else's faith in my equipment is exercised when they too put it to work and see that it performs as designed.
Some one else might not have faith in it, not having seen it perform.
One may have a superficial faith in it, not having seen it perform but believe those the use the equipment.
Some may believe in it seeing advertising and a name they recognize sponsoring the equipment, feeling the liability aspects have been met.
Some folk invest due to blind faith ,not knowing any thing about their investment or speculating as one does with stocks.
Believing depends on investment .if nothing is invested ,faith is superficial and negligible in value.
However the more invested the deeper the commitment and efforts are usually in order to support further investment.
Ones personal value can come from investing in the message one is being told, by supporting it ones self.
Dad showed me my value several ways .
One by rehearsing his families history and how I came to be .
two by the value each life had in relationship to ours.
three by caring about my activities and those I associated with.
four ,by being raised in home that reverenced God,and witnessed many miracle of God's intervention in our lives .
These are a very strong realization of personal value.

Conversely ,
I knew a man that since he was a child, his dad told him he was ugly repeatedly, and wanted him out of the house . this poor frightened paranoid kid spent his life wearing a paper sack over his head literally .
A good friend made friends with this man well in his 20s and it took years to convince him he was valued and not ugly ,I met him just shortly after the transformation. but there were mental scars he had to over come, and people he needed to be able to forgive for this abuse.
And that is the greater challenge.
An other wise very intelligent person denied a real life because of an abusive dad.

There are people that come from some very meager environments, that have risen above their piers because there was some one that CHOOSE to believe in them , and they choose to cling to that positive influence, and disregard the negative influences .
The movie tomorrow land had a r=great phrase in it I like, "the tiger you feed is strongest."
One chooses the tiger they feed the negative one feeds leaning toward excuses casting blame some where else rather than taking responsibility and owning the situation.
The other believe they are going to better them self and own their life and do something about it.
The person that deals in anger cannot think clearly and is lousy for emergency situations .
The person that is not easily angry and views all aspects before jumping in, is usually safer going into an emergency situation.
Anger is not wrong , but being poorly directed, IS.
MERCY is not wrong, but being poorly directed, IS.
If you are not in charge of your emotion, you are out of control.
If you are not in charge of your thoughts, you are out of control.
Who was it said ,"to thine own self be true."
Know your self. Know what it is you want out of life, and WORK toward being the person you want to be. No matter the age.
I am taught to be circumspect , to me that means to pay attention all around me.
I am never board with life, in fact over whelmed with more than I am capable of , this is a good thing.
I live alone and have had my share of pity parties, but they are not worth the energy invested. they produce nothing and have a negative effect on my life altogether.
I mingle with folk and meet people without agenda, and enjoy the interaction and diversity of thought.
Because I listen does not mean I agree necessarily, some times people need some one to simply listen while they are thinking out loud so to speak and sort out their problems.
If I am asked, I give a point of view and let it go at that.
I'm not too attached to the view I give, since most people have already settled on what they are going to do. But one never knows .
I believe that there are folks that truly care about their lives and what they leave behind .
These I might devote more interest in seeing to encourage them to achieve more .
It is hard to encourage some one determined to be down on them self or that thrive on pity ,these are the worst and hardest to be of any help .
Not impossible , just more difficult because the excuse factor is so easily attained.
Such in life.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
What was here before humans evolved; 'showed up' on this planet?

Let me add to what Miss Hepburn and TiffaNYC wrote.
Thoughts create a surrogate/ersatz/counterfeit reality we react to as it was equivalent to the reality that was/is here before mankind 'came'.
Recognizing what we do, is to be "FREE of that baloney" Miss Hepburn pointed out.
CORRECTION: I left out the word IF;- "we react to it as IF it was equivalent...." (sorry).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology