Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 09:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

This thinking drives me nuts. Do you think businesses really believe this, or do you think they use this to justify not fixing the problem?

The apt building I live in, put in an electronic door system last year, where our keys to the building were taken away, and we were issued electronic key fobs.

This system malfunctions regularly. When it does, we can use an emergency regular key to a door that is in a really inconvenient location. I can only guess they did this, so people wouldn't just use the regular key instead of the fob, which tracks us when we use it to get into the building.

The system is getting worse instead of better and I am fed up, so I started complaining. I'm being told that nobody else is complaining, and that they fix it within a reasonable amount of time (which can be several days waiting for the security system guy), and since everyone has a key to get in when it doesn't work - then too bad, so sad.

Does this make any sense to you? If only one person is bold enough to start complaining to management, that that means it can't be that bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 09:39 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Sorry, you reminded me of a joke.
A person enters a monastery. He takes oath of silence but is allowed to write one word to abbot once a year.
Year one passes, he is handed a chalk board and piece of chalk. He writes Food.
Year passes again.
This time man writes Is
3rd passes. This time he writes Terrible on the board.
What's wrong with you, explodes the abbot. You have been here for 3 years and all you do is complaining.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:29 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This thinking drives me nuts. Do you think businesses really believe this, or do you think they use this to justify not fixing the problem?

The apt building I live in, put in an electronic door system last year, where our keys to the building were taken away, and we were issued electronic key fobs.

This system malfunctions regularly. When it does, we can use an emergency regular key to a door that is in a really inconvenient location. I can only guess they did this, so people wouldn't just use the regular key instead of the fob, which tracks us when we use it to get into the building.

The system is getting worse instead of better and I am fed up, so I started complaining. I'm being told that nobody else is complaining, and that they fix it within a reasonable amount of time (which can be several days waiting for the security system guy), and since everyone has a key to get in when it doesn't work - then too bad, so sad.

Does this make any sense to you? If only one person is bold enough to start complaining to management, that that means it can't be that bad?
I wish a recorded what one lady said aloud. It was something along these lines "one person is a complainer but a group can change things."

Your complaint can be valid but you are still a complainer.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:57 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:

Very often businesses say that and it's a complete lie. You're the only one who complained, no one ever complained before, and so on. It's just to shut you up. Usually there are plenty of other complaints.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:49 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,099,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Very often businesses say that and it's a complete lie. You're the only one who complained, no one ever complained before, and so on. It's just to shut you up. Usually there are plenty of other complaints.
Yes! And the "you're the only one" technique is to manipulate you into shutting up by making you feel like an oddball.

Your situation sounds like your take on it is logical, and that it is the sort of other thing that others would find a major inconvenience. Have others complained about it? Ask around. Maybe they have. Or, when you bring up the topic, they'll say "Well, I haven't said anything yet, but I wish they would change it."

Present your concerns briefly, clearly, and in writing to the management. Let your neighbors know that you are taking this forward, and are doing so in writing. Encourage them to do the same.

There's nothing wrong with being the first one to be logical and forthright about a situation that needs fixed.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:16 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,582 times
It's not that you complain, it's how you complain.
What you are doing is not effective.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:55 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,185,983 times
They might very well be lying.

I have a landlady - she also lives on the property - who I hear lying to her tenants all the time (when there are complaints). She feigns surprise and "I have not heard that from anyone else!" etc.

If your complaint were "ridiculous" than I would weigh more on the side of the mgmt.

One complain or 50 - that is a big concern.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:08 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Maybe you and your neighbors could get together and write a letter which you all sign.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:45 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,522 times
You need to ask around and get signatures from the other tenants. If you present them with a petition that has, say, a hundred signatures, they can't say you're the only one complaining and will be more inclined to fix it. Everyone else might be as equally annoyed, but just haven't said anything yet.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:26 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
Quote:

It's probably a matter of you're the only one who's had enough courage to speak up. Other people are probably fuming silently over the same issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology