Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 09:03 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,345,635 times

Advertisements

I'm in my early 50s now and the youngest of 3 children. All of my elders (parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles) are long gone but I have vivid memories (good) of my childhood. I was especially close to my Mom and maternal grandmother - both of whom passed away when I was a preteen (Mom: heart stopped in her sleep; grandma: cancer [medically, but in reality from a broken heart after losing her daughter]…Anyway, both were very very loving and this evening I was listening to a tune that made me remember the great times. And I felt a pang of sadness 'cause they're not here. I miss them immensely. Ever get sad over someone you'd lost long ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 09:25 PM

657 posts, read 407,992 times
Thoughts (memories) evoke/stimulate emotions.
Would you like to cherish the memories without the "pang of sadness"?
You did it with the 'bogyman' thought/image; you can do so with other thoughts/memories.
(I won't explain why memories evoke/stimulate emotions, unless you ask. Hint: why does 'bogyman' thought-image no longer evoke/stimulate your emotion of fear?)

Last edited by sakoz-2; 10-02-2015 at 09:34 PM..

Old 10-02-2015, 10:24 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I'm in my early 50s now and the youngest of 3 children. All of my elders (parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles) are long gone but I have vivid memories (good) of my childhood. I was especially close to my Mom and maternal grandmother - both of whom passed away when I was a preteen (Mom: heart stopped in her sleep; grandma: cancer [medically, but in reality from a broken heart after losing her daughter]…Anyway, both were very very loving and this evening I was listening to a tune that made me remember the great times. And I felt a pang of sadness 'cause they're not here. I miss them immensely. Ever get sad over someone you'd lost long ago?
Occasionally I feel sad over my paternal grandmother. Once in a while I dream of her and I can feel her warmth in the dreams. She died in 1975, when I was 16 years old.

The other day I was remembering a great-uncle and Aunt. They had no children so they treated us like grandchildren. It was so much fun to go to their house. They are long gone but thinking of them, I yearned for those days.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:03 AM

What is required for emotions to be evoked? Answer: Perceptions.

"Thoughts' also evoke emotions. We 'learned' to use 'thoughts' in lieu of perceptions.

How can 'thoughts' be surrogate/substitute perceptions?
By UNWITTINGLY BELIEVING they are. (Placebo/Nocebo effect).

Old 10-03-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
What is required for emotions to be evoked? Answer: Perceptions.

"Thoughts' also evoke emotions. We 'learned' to use 'thoughts' in lieu of perceptions.

How can 'thoughts' be surrogate/substitute perceptions?
By UNWITTINGLY BELIEVING they are. (Placebo/Nocebo effect).
Yeah ok. Do you have a point?

Old 10-03-2015, 09:20 AM

3,508 posts, read 767,005 times
every sunday i spend all morning on youtube playing all my favorite tear jerkers and crying my eyes out over long gone loved ones .. it`s ok .. it puts me near them .. i always start out with this song ..
https://youtu.be/2Ne3cz9eUsQ

Old 10-03-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah ok. Do you have a point?
Yes; obviously your missing it.
We 'learned' to use thoughts in lieu of perceptions by 'unwittingly believing' they are perceptions.
When 'learning' to substitute thought for perception, it was overlooked that some thoughts are false; do not fit facts. So in those cases the emotions evoked by them are dysfunctional and often 'hurtful' and needless.

May I remind you that 'unwittingly believing' takes place 'behind-the-scenes'/subliminally/involuntarily/by habit/automatically.
Most people do not recognize 'doing' it, but the numbers of those who do is increasing.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:10 AM

3,508 posts, read 767,005 times
what the #@&*^^ are you talking about ?

Old 10-03-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
Yes; obviously your missing it.
We 'learned' to use thoughts in lieu of perceptions by 'unwittingly believing' they are perceptions.
When 'learning' to substitute thought for perception, it was overlooked that some thoughts are false; do not fit facts. So in those cases the emotions evoked by them are dysfunctional and often 'hurtful' and needless.

May I remind you that 'unwittingly believing' takes place 'behind-the-scenes'/subliminally/involuntarily/by habit/automatically.
Most people do not recognize 'doing' it, but the numbers of those who do is increasing.
Yes, makes sense in general, but what I don't get is your point as to how it relates to the OP. The OP is missing people he loved who have been gone for many years. How is grieving for lost loved ones dysfunctional or needless?

Oh, and when you snottily tell someone they are obviously missing something, make sure you are obviously not missing an apostrophe. The proper form is "you're", a contraction of "you are", not "your".

See? I can be just as snotty. There's really no need for it.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
what the #@&*^^ are you talking about ?
How smart he perceives himself to be is my guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology