Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 07:13 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,635,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikhung01 View Post
Thank you. Well, I'm feeling better now. I have to deal with her from now on I guess. The thing is, I now feel very insecure about my English and it makes me anxious that my English is getting worse and worse. I know it's not rational but my subconscious minds says differently. Thoughts?
Not surprising that you would feel this way. A teacher is supposed to know more about her subject than her students, which is why the teacher is teaching and the students are learning, instead of the other way around. Thus, when a teacher says that you are wrong, it's only natural to believe her. But it sounds like you actually know more about English grammar and sentence structure than she does.

If possible, I would try and find another teacher. But if you're stuck with her, try and find outside sources (maybe an online forum for ESL learners) to help you continue learning properly. And in cases where it is demonstrable that you are right and she is wrong (such as the ones mentioned earlier), perhaps it would help to have a meeting with her superior. You should not have your grades penalized when you are right and your teacher is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 03:07 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,767 times
Don't mind that anal-retentive teacher. I have a Master's Degree in a STEM area, am a English-native speaking American, and you have better written English than I do. My lawyer wife always makes fun of my bad spelling and grammar. I just never bothered memorizing all the weird formal rules a grammar and the totally random spelling of words (not even the same in English and American and I have had bosses that were American, then British, then Nigerian - how the heck to I write perfect reports!) when I could study "rational" science and technology. One good thing is computer technology helps me a lot in fooling people with spell- and grammar-checks.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:10 AM

108 posts, read 114,585 times
Do not be discouraged at all. First of all if English is not your native language then obviously its not your first language. But as i have evaluated from your previous posts your English is quite good. But keep in mind academic English is always different from day to day conversational one. So, try to concentrate what is required for you in the particular test, as in English class you have to be grammatically correct.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:06 PM

94 posts, read 78,340 times
Quote:
I am not a bad student so getting 65/100 on my English exam is really close to the end of the world . It turns out I didn't get anything wrong on my paper, it's just that she was being a hard ass like she's known for and that pisses me off very much.
i.e. "She's been to Paris." is considered wrong, because I was supposed to write "She has" instead of "She's" (I think my teacher just didn't know that though).
"Wearing uniforms helps students..." is considered wrong, because for some reason it's "help" and not "helps". Honestly I don't know why.

Mind you, I don't live in an English-speaking country so I basically have to deal with narcissist teachers on the regular and sometimes downright stupid if I have to use that word. I've been anxious and recently feeling very insecure about my English now. I fear and fear that by feeling insecure all the time my English will get worse. I don't consider myself to be a good writer either but it's ridiculous so I need some opinions here. Thanks.
Teachers are b-holes

Learn Esperanto and start your own intermediate country
F the West
It's not worth your sanity

Old 11-01-2015, 12:16 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
I am not a bad student so getting 65/100 on my English exam is really close to the end of the world . It turns out I didn't get anything wrong on my paper, it's just that she was being a hard ass like she's known for and that pisses me off very much.
i.e. "She's been to Paris." is considered wrong, because I was supposed to write "She has" instead of "She's" (I think my teacher just didn't know that though).

"Wearing uniforms helps students..." is considered wrong, because for some reason it's "help" and not "helps". Honestly I don't know why.

Mind you, I don't live in an English-speaking country so I basically have to deal with narcissist teachers on the regular and sometimes downright stupid if I have to use that word. I've been anxious and recently feeling very insecure about my English now. I fear and fear that by feeling insecure all the time my English will get worse. I don't consider myself to be a good writer either but it's ridiculous so I need some opinions here. Thanks.

I teach English in the USA and I'm not aware of any rule that says "she's" is incorrect for "she has." If there ever was such a rule, it's long gone now. However, I have heard of English teachers in other countries telling students this rule. I don't know what country they are getting this from, if any, but it's not the USA. For us, "she's" is fine.

Also, in both American and British English, "wearing uniforms help" would be absolutely incorrect. Wearing is a gerund, and gerunds take third person singular verbs. No native English speaker in either of these two countries would use "help" instead of "helps."

Where is your teacher from??

Old 11-01-2015, 01:21 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,648,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
Your English is fine. In fact, it is great.

As another poster said - your teacher is incorrect about the "wearing uniforms" sentence. YOU are right.

So don't be discouraged. Be happy that your English is so good.
^^^Agree. Your teacher is wrong. I've been an editor for more than 25 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology