Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 05:22 AM

94 posts, read 90,320 times

Advertisements

I am not a bad student so getting 65/100 on my English exam is really close to the end of the world . It turns out I didn't get anything wrong on my paper, it's just that she was being a hard ass like she's known for and that pisses me off very much.
i.e. "She's been to Paris." is considered wrong, because I was supposed to write "She has" instead of "She's" (I think my teacher just didn't know that though).
"Wearing uniforms helps students..." is considered wrong, because for some reason it's "help" and not "helps". Honestly I don't know why.

Mind you, I don't live in an English-speaking country so I basically have to deal with narcissist teachers on the regular and sometimes downright stupid if I have to use that word. I've been anxious and recently feeling very insecure about my English now. I fear and fear that by feeling insecure all the time my English will get worse. I don't consider myself to be a good writer either but it's ridiculous so I need some opinions here. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 07:54 AM

657 posts, read 407,707 times
She is a teacher, doing her job of teaching correct use of the english language. Don't take it personally, she corrects all her students.
look at it this way; if you don't use english correctly, she may take it personally, as a reflection on her ability to teach.
You may have to work a little harder to 'get it correct', but go along with it.

Look at the word 'knife', the letter k is silent, so why is it there? Beats me.

Recently I wrote the word 'amygdalas' here, because we have two of them. A reader corrected me and wrote the correct word is 'amydalae', I just thanked the reader, but most likely I will still write 'amygdalas',

Old 10-28-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
She is a teacher, doing her job of teaching correct use of the english language. Don't take it personally, she corrects all her students.
look at it this way; if you don't use english correctly, she may take it personally, as a reflection on her ability to teach.
You may have to work a little harder to 'get it correct', but go along with it.

Look at the word 'knife', the letter k is silent, so why is it there? Beats me.

Recently I wrote the word 'amygdalas' here, because we have two of them. A reader corrected me and wrote the correct word is 'amydalae', I just thanked the reader, but most likely I will still write 'amygdalas',
Yes, but sometimes it's ridiculous. I didn't even get anything wrong that she "corrected" and most of my classmates didn't either. I was honestly expecting to get at least 80-90/100 but 65 was heart-breaking to me. She's a new teacher in my class, by the way.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:53 AM

657 posts, read 407,707 times
Form a 'committee' and go to the principle with the evidence and let the facts show her 'errors'.
Would you share a few examples of what she finds erroneous in your test?

Old 10-28-2015, 08:58 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Well, your English is better than 90% of the native speakers who type on this forum.

*shrug*

Old 10-28-2015, 09:20 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikhung01 View Post
i.e. "She's been to Paris." is considered wrong, because I was supposed to write "She has" instead of "She's" (I think my teacher just didn't know that though).
"Wearing uniforms helps students..." is considered wrong, because for some reason it's "help" and not "helps". Honestly I don't know why.
Your teacher is wrong. "She's been to Paris" is perfectly acceptable in both spoken and written English, unless your teacher specifically told you not to use contractions. And "Wearing uniforms helps students" is correct. She may be confused because she might think that "helps" goes with "uniforms" (in which case it would indeed be "help"), but it doesn't. Expanding this sentence to include the words that are implied would result in "The wearing of uniforms is something that helps students." The wearing of uniforms is a singular activity, and thus takes the singular form helps.

Is your teacher a native English speaker? Either way, it sounds like she could benefit from additional English instruction herself.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:42 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,890,666 times
Spoken fluency is more important than correctness.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:47 PM

646 posts, read 465,120 times
Your English is fine. In fact, it is great.

As another poster said - your teacher is incorrect about the "wearing uniforms" sentence. YOU are right.

So don't be discouraged. Be happy that your English is so good.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:48 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, your English is better than 90% of the native speakers who type on this forum.

*shrug*
Yep I'm in that 90% and it's my country that invented it

Old 10-28-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
Your English is fine. In fact, it is great.

As another poster said - your teacher is incorrect about the "wearing uniforms" sentence. YOU are right.

So don't be discouraged. Be happy that your English is so good.
Thank you. Well, I'm feeling better now. I have to deal with her from now on I guess. The thing is, I now feel very insecure about my English and it makes me anxious that my English is getting worse and worse. I know it's not rational but my subconscious minds says differently. Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology