Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 04:15 PM

657 posts, read 407,842 times

Advertisements

Conditioned believing is as automatic as instincts. Is it as feasible in modern times as it was needed back in primitive times?
'Conditioned believing' makes 'mistake making' a high probability.
Automatic believing makes us 'mistake prone'. Making mistakes is a condition of survival , a small price to pay for surviving.
In primitive times, making mistakes had to be part of survival, otherwise the creature was at high risk of being killed by predators.
Humans have neo cortex that was not available in primitive times, that can evaluate situations or let habit take over when appropriate, etc.

You can evaluate what you just read or you can react automatically from your belief system,(agenda).
If you automatically react from your belief system , you assume you already know this, you don't
'take in' new input, you only 'take in' info that 'fits' with what you already know/have.
Our belief systems function like grid,filter, net, censor. We 'bend', 'fold'; distort' new info to 'fit' or discard it if it don't fit.
Our belief system is "some what" like an ecosystem.

Last edited by sakoz-2; 11-16-2015 at 04:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 07:59 AM

There's a perspective available to us from where we can not only see what we look at, but we can also 'see' our thoughts 'about' what we look at.

When looking at a object, you can also 'see' the name, (if you want to).
Look at a object now, but 'don't' think the name.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:14 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
There's a perspective available to us from where we can not only
see what we look at, but we can also 'see' our thoughts 'about' what we look at.

When looking at a object, you can also 'see' the name, (if you want to).
Look at an object now, but 'don't' think the name.
Interesting, something similar is in the first 30 Lessons (of 365) of
A Course In Miracles (ACIM or The Course, also),
where you ponder a sentence each day...I must say, around the 28th Lesson...I actually SAW
a 'mindshift' in myself.
How does THAT happen? I dunno.

Sample:#25 "I do not know what anything is for" ( Like you look around and think,
I don't know what this chair is for.) Sounds kooky if you don't have an intro
to what the whole thing is about, I know.
And I know it is not for everyone!

# 27 "Above all else I want to see."

#33 "There is another way of looking at the world." And so on...

Yup, all about changing our perspective...to a higher, clearer perspective, my words.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:39 AM

Yes; the TRUTH is true no matter who says it.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:59 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,273,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
Great; unlike Wmsn4Life, you 'do' understand.
I'm writing about 'secular believing'. Everytime I search the net for "believing", I only find 'religious beliefs'.
There's more thoughts than only religious thoughts we believe. I suggest we need to be discerning, (aware of believing instead of believing automatically, and not even recognize when we believe; no wonder so many 'false' thoughts are believed),

quote: " No fear based beliefs left in me". unquote.
The way I see it, you don't believe thoughts that would elicit fear in you.
Ah, freedom and empowerment. Thank you for letting the readers know what I write about is possible for them too.
My mother got her Ph.D. In metaphysics and wrote a book about beliefs based on fear and lack. In fact it was a phrase she said often "it's your beliefs that got you into this situation or beliefs create your reality".

I still read the emails we exchanged from time to time(my mother killed herself three years ago from today-it is the anniversary of the day I found her body).

I've learned to try my best to be aware of the beliefs I have-if what I believe about something is based on fear, lack, etc? I try to understand the core of what it is that I believe and how it's presenting itself across my life. For instance when I first become a single mom I believed I was a loser. I had many situations where I was losing as a result-jobs, etc. I had to rewrite my mind and tell myself I was a winner and believe it with my core, which took time, but once I believed it to be true, I started manifesting situations and results that by all accounts validated my belief that I was winning. Now I'm presenting it simplistically but that's an example. My mother taught me everything she knew about beliefs when I was pregnant with my son, she read the Seth material by Jane Roberts, Wayne Dyer, and a load of other people with similar thoughts about beliefs. As a result I am so aware of my own and its role in my life in a way that I think would not have occurred had she not educated me the way she did.

Have you read the Seth material by Jane Roberts-the nature of personal reality and beliefs?

Old 11-17-2015, 12:13 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
PS I highly recommend Seth to people.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:54 PM

215 posts, read 185,510 times
If I shed my beliefs what will I become
I built a fortress of beliefs around myself and so has everyone else
Once before, I tore down this fortress and built another
Must I keep breaking down and rebuilding
What if I were an animal instead
How long would I live if I didn't let my beliefs insulate me from the wild

And..

Regulating it?
You can't turn it on or off, can you?

Old 11-18-2015, 05:05 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
I regulate my believing.

For instance, humans suck. Therefore, with zero expectations for humans in general knowing how to act, no longer do I get disappointed when someone shows their true colors which seems to happen often enough, if not regularly. Maybe it's a defense mechanism to avoid being hurt, and it works. I find good people the gravy in life.

Regulating believing IMO is more about controlling the aftermath of a thought and how you handle it. Do you fly off the handle? Do you become depressed? The human minds ability to conjure up thought is very difficult to control. But the instant a thought is in the mind, it's on you to digest it, and determine how you act. That's the regulation.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I regulate my believing.

The human minds ability to conjure up thought is very difficult to control. But the instant a thought is in the mind, it's on you to digest it, and determine how you act. That's the regulation.
Excellant!
I would modify part of it.
"....the instant a thought is in the mind, it's on you to "evaluate" it, and determine whether to 'believe' it or not,...."
That's why learning to 'regulate your believing' is the key to empowerment and optimal living.
metalmancpa: would tell the readers 'how' you 'regulate your believing'? I'm sure many readers would like to now, (I assume they would like to know ).

Don't try to control 'what' thoughts come to mind, metalmancps is correct about that, but you can learn to regulate your believing as s/he did.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeliber View Post
If I shed my beliefs what will I become
I built a fortress of beliefs around myself and so has everyone else
Once before, I tore down this fortress and built another
Must I keep breaking down and rebuilding
What if I were an animal instead
How long would I live if I didn't let my beliefs insulate me from the wild

And..

Regulating it?
You can't turn it on or off, can you?
WHOA! DON'T SHED your beliefs; some serve you well, but some are dysfunctional. Learn to 'cull' the false ones out. Scientific changes start with 'correct/accurate thoughts', (called theories). The same applies to daily living optimally.

If you were an animal, you live and react to facts, but you could not change your environment , beyond building nests, dams,. Notice animals, (birds, beavers have not changed their innate 'blue prints' for eons because they can't think up new,improved models. If we were like animals, we would still live in caves, but we now have pent houses, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology