Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 02:19 PM

657 posts, read 407,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick for Christ View Post
My friend, I respectfully suggest that your missing the POINT

Faith and Understanding have to originate with God. We only accept his grace and reject it.

Now if your suggesting that God does not exist; that my friend is another misconception that I can clear up for you.

God Bless you,

Patrick
I'm missing 'the' point?, am I missing what 'you' think is the point? (There's many points).
Where do get the 'thought' that I'm suggesting God does not exist?
Faith and understanding told us the 'bogyman' was only a thought. A false thought told us the gun was empty when in fact it was not.
God bless and keep you.

(If you would, please clarify the point you think I'm missing.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten.
I believe I feel better now.
You 'believe' you feel better now; why don't you check your proprioceptive sense to see if your belief matches the fact of your bodily experience?
'beliefs' can be false, but your senses are more reliable, more often.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:35 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
I think people prefer to think of believing without commitment, but my understanding is that if one cannot commit, they do not honestly believe.
Any one that fly's a plane knows commitment , Un like a car you can stop at almost any time and there are no serious repercussions . with a plane once you've come to a certain point on the run way your committed just as though your in flight.
Believing the plane fly's and you are capable of making it fly safely, is an active process .
Doing ground school alone does not qualify one for actual flight.
On top of that your trainer must believe that you are capable of following procedures and reading the instruments and correcting the craft. Believing is active not passive.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I think people prefer to think of believing without commitment....etc.
The way I see it; when we 'believe' a thought , we are committed to that thought, true or false , we experience what we 'believe', that to me is commitment.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:07 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,640 times
This is how I see belief as of now: What I'm finding out is that for me, the operating system works primarily with desire, hope, expectation, (based on statistical reliability), and belief. Each of these has its own distinct feel. It's their feeling that helps me determine which program is running. Belief is the only one that feels like undisputed and undisputable fact. The others all have their elements of doubt or risk. Belief has no feeling of doubt or risk and has a sub program that says it cannot be doubted and there's never any risk with it. It feels far stronger than the others, more deeply ingrained, more immovable. And I'm finding out that belief is the only program that has to be believed in in order to continue to exist! For those reasons I see belief as the one I need to most closely examine. So every once in a while I stop and ask what is the dominant motivator of my thought or action right now? A desire, a hope, an expectation, a belief? Or a muddled mix? What I'm learning is if the belief feel is in there anywhere then belief is most likely running the show and it's time to see if the belief is even my own and whether it's a help or a hindrance.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:54 PM

LiaLia: I like your post. Glad to see you back. I was impressed with what you wrote earlier as I am impressed with this post.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:36 PM

Consider, with me, if you will, the following question. ( I don't have an answer; it just 'came to mind to-day').
It's still in the 'incubation stage'.

"Can 'believing' be recognized/detected/verified with biofeedback device or fMRI as brain activity?"

That would show 'believing' is objective brain activity and not subjective.
Dreams are subjective, the 'what' of dreams or content cannot be detected, but that the brain 'is' dreaming can.(REM and fMRI).

Old 11-10-2015, 05:45 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
"Can 'believing' be recognized/detected/verified with biofeedback
device or fMRI as brain activity?"
Hasn't it been done already?

Telling a person to believe their is a monster in the room...then having them believe
they are on a beach.
Or do you mean something different? With respect.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Hasn't it been done already?

Telling a person to believe their is a monster in the room...then having them believe
they are on a beach.
Or do you mean something different? With respect.
Technology can be used to detect brain activity. But it cannot detect WHAT the image is and not whether the image is BELIEVED real or not. The patterns are like fingerprints.

The placebo effect is about 'deceiving' a person to believe a false/untrue thought and the thought is involuntarily reacted to whether it's true or false.

When a person is deceived to believe a monster is in the room, the fear response is involuntarily elicited.
Then have them visualize being on a beach, (even though they can see they are not on a beach) the amygdalae is wired to react involuntarily to perceptions, but amygdala can't tell a perception from a believed image. So going from 'monster' to 'beach' image is like distracting a child with a toy, etc. Switching images works the same way with adults. You can do-it-yourself. If you feel 'down' switch to a happy image and your feelings change.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
Whether you believe or not is immaterial 'to the facts', facts are not affected; but your neurology is affected, more specifically, your amygdalae.
Your familiar with polygraph and biofeedback devices? Thoughts/beliefs are very relevant to our nervous system, thoughts/beliefs are just as much stimulus as facts, we experience/live our thoughts.
I, for one, certainly do not believe your quote; but thanks for your input anyway.
I wish I knew what quote you were talking about, so I could begin to mend my ways.

If I go to bed at night at peace with myself, and fall asleep quickly and sleep soundly with certainty that all is as good as it gets in my world, in what way are my beliefs defective or deficient, and why need I address them with an eye to bringing them up to some standard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology