Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 08:18 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times

Advertisements

And yet over in the Relationships forum you have all these guys whining that they can't get dates. Who can figure.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:45 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,603,907 times
some women are attracted to bad boys, its their "bit of rough" .

Old 12-26-2015, 08:49 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,654,219 times
At least she knows where he is nights! Maybe they're emotional masochists: there is always the possibility that he will get released. That is her opportunity to become the willing victim in a real "Lifetime" movie.

Last edited by RP2C; 12-26-2015 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: Missing word

Old 12-26-2015, 08:57 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrider62 View Post
Because they're completely nuts!
Sadly, I have to agree with that observation.
Many years ago at the school where I worked, one of my colleagues was a somewhat nutty Biology teacher. In an apparent attempt at performing good works in the community, she volunteered to teach a course or two at the maximum-security state prison a few miles away. For some reason or other, she became attracted to a prisoner who was behind bars for--Guess what?--murdering his wife.

You can probably figure out at least part of the ensuing tale yourself. She divorced her husband of 20 years, and wound up totally alienating her two teenaged kids. She married this convict, and was then able to have conjugal visits with him in prison. Because he was now married to a "stable member of the community", her convict hubby was able to obtain parole and early release.

She resigned her teaching position that she had held for well over a decade and she and her new mate moved to The U.S. Virgin Islands. Within a few months of that move, he disappeared, never to be found again. She moved back to the mainland and attempted to regain her old teaching position, and--despite the difficulties in obtaining science teachers--the Board of Education chose to NOT rehire her (for good reasons, I think).

I have no idea about where this woman eventually wound up, but suffice it to say that, as a result of her extremely poor judgment, she rejected her first husband, alienated her kids, became the laughing stock of the community, and lost a job that she otherwise would probably have been able to remain in until retirement.

Yes, she was nuts!

Old 12-26-2015, 09:12 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
It is crazy. An acquaintance told us a story about her daughter and her relationship with a convicted child molester! I guess she met him online. Ended up she went to see him in prison and took her female cousin. Well now female cousin is married to the guy. Two women - fairly attractive - fighting over a molester!!!

The acquaintance was glad that her daughter didn't end up with him. But really - why?????????

Old 12-26-2015, 09:29 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Murderer in prison = alpha male = attraction.

'Nuff said.
That's an interesting summation. Probably right.

In addition, these are probably women who have suffered some kind of abuse and the men in prison have plenty of time to devote to winning (conning) them. "But he loves me" is the smoke screen - they're both unhealthy, to put it minimally.

Would the women or offspring (conjugal visits?) have any claim to residual estate/wealth? If there is any after this length of time.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:50 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,601,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Sadly, I have to agree with that observation.
Many years ago at the school where I worked, one of my colleagues was a somewhat nutty Biology teacher. In an apparent attempt at performing good works in the community, she volunteered to teach a course or two at the maximum-security state prison a few miles away. For some reason or other, she became attracted to a prisoner who was behind bars for--Guess what?--murdering his wife.

You can probably figure out at least part of the ensuing tale yourself. She divorced her husband of 20 years, and wound up totally alienating her two teenaged kids. She married this convict, and was then able to have conjugal visits with him in prison. Because he was now married to a "stable member of the community", her convict hubby was able to obtain parole and early release.

She resigned her teaching position that she had held for well over a decade and she and her new mate moved to The U.S. Virgin Islands. Within a few months of that move, he disappeared, never to be found again. She moved back to the mainland and attempted to regain her old teaching position, and--despite the difficulties in obtaining science teachers--the Board of Education chose to NOT rehire her (for good reasons, I think).

I have no idea about where this woman eventually wound up, but suffice it to say that, as a result of her extremely poor judgment, she rejected her first husband, alienated her kids, became the laughing stock of the community, and lost a job that she otherwise would probably have been able to remain in until retirement.

Yes, she was nuts!

Wow, that's crazy...!!!
In a (wrong) way, it's kind of funny too.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:19 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
I think it's that whole bad boy attraction. You can safely marry a dangerous person who is behind bars and can't physically harm you and still live in fantasy land. It's creepy and crazy. I'll never understand the mentality of someone wanting to be married to an incarcerated monster vs being married to a good person you can actually snuggle with at night.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:29 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,245 times
Here's an interesting article I found on the subject.

The women who fall in love with jailed killers | New York Post

There are a few logic & historical errors in the article, but in general it sheds some light on varying reasons why women marry prisoners.

And apparently conjugal visits don't happen for the Menendez brothers. At most one hug and one kiss per meeting...

but then the article goes on to say that the brothers have never even met their wives, which is inaccurate. They meet in the prison visiting rooms.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by Zelpha; 12-26-2015 at 12:28 PM..

Old 12-26-2015, 11:45 AM

18,389 posts, read 19,023,642 times
besides all the reasons mentioned, the relationship starts out "perfect" in that the men are never around during the day to day. so the women can imagine what the man would say or do in certain circumstances and because it is an idea in their heads they make the man's reactions what they want it to be. prison love is perfect in that he will never be out, he will never disappoint and he will never cheat. prison love is mostly in the head. a great fantasy for their "marriage"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology