Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 09:37 PM

134 posts, read 192,092 times

Advertisements

Example if someone doesn't want to come and has nothing else to do but go about their daily lives but says they have other plans, isn't that dishonest, or at best a half truth, why would one not say instead of saying sorry I have other plans to say I just don't want to go or it does not interest me? why are people so evasive of providing these details when rsvping to others? and besides another thing that really annoying me if they do have other plans and its not just a cover up for not wanting to go, why don't they reveal to me what there other plans actually are, example going away, going to a family thing, etc. to me thats a half truth at best, why not reveal the full story then?

Please help me on this one, I would really like to know, I am one who reveals all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 09:40 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
Example if someone doesn't want to come and has nothing else to do but go about their daily lives but says they have other plans, isn't that dishonest, or at best a half truth, why would one not say instead of saying sorry I have other plans to say I just don't want to go or it does not interest me? why are people so evasive of providing these details when rsvping to others? and besides another thing that really annoying me if they do have other plans and its not just a cover up for not wanting to go, why don't they reveal to me what there other plans actually are, example going away, going to a family thing, etc. to me thats a half truth at best, why not reveal the full story then?

Please help me on this one, I would really like to know, I am one who reveals all.
Simple. They are trying to not hurt your feelings. And frankly, they don't owe you any details, just a yes or no as to whether they plan to attend.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I don't think an explanation of why one can't attend is always necessary.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:28 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
No one owes you an explanation.
All that is required is an answer to the RSVP.

Why do you feel all must be "revealed" to you, when it really is none of your business?

Old 11-18-2016, 07:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,577 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No one owes you an explanation.
All that is required is an answer to the RSVP.

Why do you feel all must be "revealed" to you, when it really is none of your business?
Agreed, I would never give a reason on a formal RSVP, simply decline. It's impolite to be truthful and say something like say "it sounds boring so no thanks" and would hurt someone's feelings for no reason.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:54 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
For a close relationship, and a big event, I would likely follow up and clarify my regrets to the person, like, "Sorry, dear friend of twenty years, I will miss your wedding, because that's the same week my baby is due and it's not advised that I travel out of state." For, like, a coworker's Pampered Chef party? "Sorry, can't make it," is sufficient.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:28 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times
If they have a legit reason (family event, vacation, birthday party, etc.), they'll say it. But saying, "I have other plans" is a euphemism for "I don't want to go."

To answer your question, because "I don't want to go" sounds whiny and childish, and normal adults don't want to sound like that.

Another reason that someone else already said is that they don't want to hurt your feelings. If they really said, "I"m not interested" or "I don't want to go," you'll feel what's wrong with your party (or whatever it is) that they're not interested in going?

Old 11-18-2016, 09:01 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,204 times
They may not feel it's anyone's business what alternate plans they have. It's okay for them to say "I have other plans" and leave it at that.

The only time I would feel obliged to give an honest explanation would be if I had to miss a funeral, then I would be upfront about why (I can't afford to travel, I'm sick, etc) and I would send my condolences to the family.

It only bugs me when people don't respond at all with a yes or no.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:54 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,259 times
RSVP....responz s'il vous plait = respond if you please...as in yes or no.....nothing else require or expected

Old 11-19-2016, 06:55 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Most people can't accept the truth. When a person says they aren't going to attend because they 'don't feel like going', the recipient, more often than not, will take it personal.

Makes it easier all the way around to just reply that one has other plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology