Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 03:21 AM

134 posts, read 192,140 times

Advertisements

Either due to bad experiences, in a rut, lots of hang ups/hurts, hates the people around them, feels the lack of accomplishment, in their current setting? I want to know your feelings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 05:15 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
I feel like doing that, but I can't run right now. I feel like it would be even more difficult somewhere else.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:44 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,711 times
I have. Maybe time to re-invent myself again.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:56 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I did it in 1978. Left most of my family and friends to move from Florida up to Long Island. Best thing I ever did. Should have stayed there.

Now 38 years later I wish I could make another new start.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:07 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Yes, I've done it several times due to jobs, relationships. Moved all over the country, even with my horse. And always on a shoe-string. All were positive experiences and I only regret one because I could not get a job while I was there (health problems one after the other) so dug way too deeply into the retirement account. In hind-sight, should have sucked it up and stayed put. But, no one has a crystal ball.

Now retired and hope this is the final spot....

Old 11-26-2016, 03:10 PM

776 posts, read 580,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
Either due to bad experiences, in a rut, lots of hang ups/hurts, hates the people around them, feels the lack of accomplishment, in their current setting? I want to know your feelings?
......I tried that recently, your problems follow you around. If you ever get confused on why things don't work out, do this. You will be much easier to figure out your issues from the ones pushed on you. Moving to another place is hard, especially with the economy in the crapper right now. If you do go about this, please have a job lined up, as I have failed and had to move back.
......As for feelings, I'm passed depressed. Suicide doesn't seem like an end anymore. I no longer have purpose or any shred of dignity. The emptiness that once ate at me seems to have consumed me. In comparison, I feel like a homunculus. An empty vessel with no destination.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:22 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
I ran away from home at age 18 and joined the Army. I don't recommend that to anyone who has a "fresh start" in mind.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:37 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
I have. Several times.
I got loose early - at 17. And my lifestyle allowed me to reinvent myself several times as I left the old "me's behind. East coast; west; overseas; Caribbean.

I actually recommend it. I made better and better friends and became more and more mature. But if you don't intend to do that then you'll end up just dragging everything along behind you like an old bicycle.

It was 15 years before I ever saw a member of my family again. Then I remembered why I left and decided it was a darn good idea.
I'm 71 now.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:42 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
At 17, I left my parents and moved halfway across the country to live with my cousins and finish high school. That was the best move I ever made. When I graduated, I went up to San Jose, CA, and lived there for the next 26 years. When I got priced out of the rental market there, I pulled up stakes and ended up in western Washington state. When I retire in several years, I plan to just put my stuff in storage, trade in my car for a van or truck and just live in that while I save money traveling around the US while I decide where I want to live next. I want to settle down somewhere permanently, but in the back of my mind, I always know I may need to move on again. Currently I'm torn between the Albany, NY, area and Colorado Springs, CO. But I don't know what else I may find.

I hated moving from California, but I'm not as opposed to moving from Washington. I guess I would have to say I'm not a big fan of all these trees (rain is OK). I want a little more open space around me. Thought about going into eastern Washington....

All four sets of great-grandparents were immigrants always moving west. Maybe I get my itchy foot from them.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:34 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,192,716 times
I haven't. But believe me, I would love to. I just can't right now.

I live in a place I hate. A small town with a 900 population. Everybody knows everybody around here. People are more sheltered and ignorant apparently. I have albinism, and people here stare at me as if I have 2 heads. But the times when I am in a city, most don't seem to pay any mind, which is nice. Except possible VERY small kids.

There's not much to do in this town. If you need anything decent, you have to do a good bit of driving to get it. The dating scene is not that great. Depending on taste, of course. lol

There's also the case where everyone knows you, or knows of you. Family is around a lot, and have no sense of boundaries. Everyone knows where you live and where to find you.

Basically I just feel to cramped around here. BUT as I mention in other threads, I didn't start planning my life when I should have. So I am in my 20s and catching up. I would say I should be in a better place within 4 years. Because I am working with other people professionally to get things moving. And I usually do my part instantly, but things are VERY slow on their end. So, I plan to move, and drop contact with all here, and not telling them where I live. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology