Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 12:45 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times

Advertisements

I'm a regular of a cultural type of forum. It has rather few active members. One is vehemently homophobic. He is very provocative and would pick on my posts just for the fact that I'm gay. He uses ad hominems and name calling ("genetic disorder", "cultural Marxist", etc) to put me down.

The admin has suspended him for a few weeks. But he continues to act this way. The admin would just never ban him nor scold him. The admin has now completely neglected the problem, despite being active in the forum.

The thing is, I enjoy the forum. I have friends there (one of them is gay too, and he also gets bullied by him). How do I put a stop to this? Quitting the forum is not an option to me. Is there any place I can report him too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 03:23 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,769 times
Go to your my settings and put him on ignore.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:56 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
Go to your my settings and put him on ignore.
Perhaps this is not a C-D forum.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:27 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I'm a regular of a cultural type of forum. It has rather few active members. One is vehemently homophobic. He is very provocative and would pick on my posts just for the fact that I'm gay. He uses ad hominems and name calling ("genetic disorder", "cultural Marxist", etc) to put me down.

The admin has suspended him for a few weeks. But he continues to act this way. The admin would just never ban him nor scold him. The admin has now completely neglected the problem, despite being active in the forum.

The thing is, I enjoy the forum. I have friends there (one of them is gay too, and he also gets bullied by him). How do I put a stop to this? Quitting the forum is not an option to me. Is there any place I can report him too?
Unfortunately, being a homophobic ass-hole is not illegal. I would say as much as possible ignore him and do not engage. Hopefully, other people will catch on and do the same. If no one talks to him, maybe he will go away.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:17 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
You could ignore him.
Or you could make fun of his posts. "Cultural Marxist? What does that even mean? lol" Or "Are you sure you're not latently gay yourself, bro? Often the more virulently homophobic dudes are." Or, "Zing! Another ad hominem from the peanut gallery! Another brilliant contribution to the intellectual level of this thread! Way to go!" Or "A round of applause, everyone, for the poster's maturity and astute observation!"

You could get jiggy with it.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:19 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Unfortunately, being a homophobic ass-hole is not illegal. I would say as much as possible ignore him and do not engage. Hopefully, other people will catch on and do the same. If no one talks to him, maybe he will go away.
On most forums, ad hominem and other personal attacks are not allowed and are against the Terms of Service.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:06 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
On most forums, ad hominem and other personal attacks are not allowed and are against the Terms of Service.
Yes, but the OP said the admin did not act on his reports, so I'm addressing it from what it is, not what it should be.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I think the fact that the admin no longer will act on your complaints tells you that you are not valued there. Can you pm some of the other forum members to find out if there is another forum they post on? Perhaps you could move to that forum.

If you can't get other members to act on this, I have to suggest that you need to find a healthier place to post.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:00 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Most forum software has an option to ignore posts by other members. Or you might start a similar forum at proboards and private message your friends to join there (proboards is free). However, if you start a forum then whoever has moderator permissions will have to enforce whatever rules you set up for it.

https://proboards.com

Old 12-03-2016, 03:01 PM

776 posts, read 580,687 times
Quote:
How do I put a stop to this?
How would you deal with this problem in real life? I do understand this is annoying, but having moderators fight your battles might leave you ill prepared.
Quote:
It has rather few active members.
This is where I get a little confused. If you like it, I imagine most of the few active members are excepting of you. From that I would induce that most wouldn't think much of him. Why don't you work on making him an outcast?
Quote:
He is very provocative and would pick on my posts just for the fact that I'm gay. He uses ad hominems and name calling ("genetic disorder", "cultural Marxist", etc) to put me down.
I'm guessing he hasn't been kicked off because "genetic disorder" and "cultural Marxist" aren't really that offensive to most. Many gays are subjected to much harsher criticisms. To further that, he might be picking on you because you are on the softer side. I don't know of your responses to the person in question, but I think you should stop retracting your claws.

I just realized how stupid the word homophobia is.
- "A phobia is a type of anxiety disorder, defined by a persistent fear of an object or situation." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phobia(Sorry to get off topic)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology