Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 08:33 PM

140 posts, read 191,941 times

Advertisements

I'm 19 and I feel depressed most of the time. The older I get, the less I can relate to anyone : peers, family, etc. I always feel out of place no matter where I am and feel lost and don't know what to do with myself. I spend almost all of my time alone except when I go to class or work where I awkwardly interract with people and make them uncomfortable. I always feel like I am just dead weight aimlessly floating through life unable to make connections to anyone. People have little interest in me for example whenever I am in a restaurant with other people the waitress will never look at me, just the other people unless I am blatantly talking directly to him/her.

I have no idea what to do with myself in any given situation. I have no idea how people my age date. I thought I almost had one but then even that fizzled out and I'' once again left with nothing. Sorry for the rambling don't know what to put here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 08:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Feeling occasionally "down" is not an abnormal thing in life. Pervasive, chronic feelings of depression are not something you have to just live with, though.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:05 PM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheInternet View Post
Is depression sometimes just a part of growing up?
True depression?
No, that is not just a part of growing up.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:07 PM

20,013 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Depression can sometimes be something you "outgrow" but yours sounds chronic and debilitating so my advice would be to seek help for it; as TabulaRasa pointed out, you don't have to just live with it. Medication might help, and give you some space to work with a therapist on your issues. Check with your school's mental health service. They usually can refer you to someone who works on a sliding scale.

How is your relationship with your parents? Would you describe it as warm and supportive? My guess is no, as you don't seem to have had much effective mentoring. This is another reason I think a good therapist would help. If the first one you try doesn't seem to connect with you or doesn't seem to have a coherent plan, try another. It's a pain in the arse, but the fact is that they are all over the map in skill and effectiveness, and combine that with the fact that not every patient / therapist relationships "clicks", and it means you have to keep trying. I'd encourage you to make the effort, though, and soon; you are likely to get more depressed and it will only be harder if you wait. Sometimes just getting moving is key. This is fixable but you have to ask for help.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
If you live at home, tell your parents you need therapy, and that you think you are depressed.

If you are at school, your school should have mental health services for students. If so, schedule an appointment with them, and go.

You can also talk to your doctor about this. He or she can prescribe meds for you.

There are several avenues to try to help yourself. Doing nothing will not improve your situation however. So, do something.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:01 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
With happiness, that entails being dependent on others/things for your happiness which is why I don't strive to be happy, due to the inevitable dependencies. How can you be truly happy in a relationship/marriage when your happiness is dependent on your partner? You live in fear that one day your source of happiness will disappear, and then? They'll be looking at the OP and say: "Hey, Brother!"

I enjoy being sad and depressed, I cam to terms with it long, long ago, and don't envy seemingly happy people in the least!

Just remember, sadness/depression are expressed differently in other people.

Recall! There's a razor thin line between a cry and a laugh! So any of those people who see laughing too much, that may be their way of crying!

Consider it a victory if you make people uncomfortable with your visibly showing others you're depressed, as the saying goes: what we dislike the most in others, sits inside us somewhere!

Some depression is merely the result of anger turned inwards. Freud would often ask that question of a depressed client: Who are you angry with?

When I skipped high school in my junior year to sneakily see a Psychiatrist, that proved to be true, the anger turned inwards, anger directed at my Father. But I rejected the idea of medication and will to continue to reject meds for my depression. I prefer to let it all hang out and damn the consequences!

Old 11-02-2016, 05:00 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,071,201 times
Check out these videos
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...am+hicks+happy

The Abraham-Hicks Emotional Guidance Scale | Discovering Peace

I find her message on just finding the next feeling that feels a little better to work very well for me.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:34 PM

93 posts, read 64,173 times
I think the older we get, the more aware we become (in general) of ourselves and the world around us.

(When we're kids, we are basically in a rose-colored bubble. We only know our immediate environment.)

The older we get the more we realize the world is much, much bigger than that.

While you may become more conscious of the not-so-great things in society (and life in general), it does not mean all the positive and inspiring things simply go away.

One of my favorite quotes is...

~ by John Wooden ~

I think these are good words to live by everyday.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:18 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheInternet View Post
I'm 19 and I feel depressed most of the time. The older I get, the less I can relate to anyone : peers, family, etc. I always feel out of place no matter where I am and feel lost and don't know what to do with myself. I spend almost all of my time alone except when I go to class or work where I awkwardly interract with people and make them uncomfortable. I always feel like I am just dead weight aimlessly floating through life unable to make connections to anyone. People have little interest in me for example whenever I am in a restaurant with other people the waitress will never look at me, just the other people unless I am blatantly talking directly to him/her.

I have no idea what to do with myself in any given situation. I have no idea how people my age date. I thought I almost had one but then even that fizzled out and I'' once again left with nothing. Sorry for the rambling don't know what to put here
Anti-depressant drugs are a God-send. You deserve to have a better life than you do right now, and it's entirely possible.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:38 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
I don't know about today's young people but my grandkids are 19 and 16 and I don't think I ever heard depression from their mouths. They are the techie world children but very active in sports and their parents kept them busy thru schooling etc. They are pretty driven to do well in schools...the older one is now in 2nd yr at ucla.

I grew up a long time ago, I'm 78 now, and don't recall anyone talking about depression. Many of us "kids" were dancing a lot...dancing makes one happy, sure did me.

I hit a 10 yr depression in 1991 and it went 10 yrs and believed it was sluggish thyroid and could not get supported since the Numbers were good in the MD's minds. They don't go by symptoms but we're numbers. In 1991 I was 53 and out of menopause. Got thyroid supported in 2002. Then I found out in 2006 how low my Vit D was., got that fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology