Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:05 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times

Advertisements

Gasoline

Horse barns

Dog's feet when they're sleeping

I know, I'm weird lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 10:53 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
TIRES, TIRES, TIRES! Like my mouth waters when I walk into a tire shop. I don't want to EAT them, but I take a HUGE breath.

Also, love new car smell and freshly opened tennis balls. I never noticed gasoline doesn't smell the same until someone mentioned it. I used to love the smell as a kid, I haven't even thought about it as an adult.
Hmm, I'm curious. I'm going to buy some even though I don't play tennis.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:25 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
1.) The unique smell in the air in parts of the southwest low desert after a rain from the creosote shrub getting wet.

Arizona Skies Creations: The smell of the Desert after a rain

2.) The smell from new electronic components.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:38 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Funny how many others have mentioned OLD skunk smell. I love it too. Our dog growing up lived outside all summer and he was skunked weekly (at least). Kibble was left on a ledge for the cats, in retrospect i know that is what drew the skunks.

Fresh skunk could make me wish I hadn't been born, but old skunk reminds me of that age and time. If I drive by it I smile.

Also from close to that time is gas on snow. I don't like the smell of gas, unless it is around 0F, it reminds me of when we had an old jeep without much floor left, and snowmobile was the only way to get to the house (I was under the age of 10).
I bet the poor dog didn't like the smell of skunk.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:49 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Fresh soil in the spring
The smell of the air just before it's going to snow
Ocean air mixed with the musty smell of a beach cottage
Squishy marshmallows cooked over a camp fire
Cedar chests
Sheets that have been dried outside on the line
Foliage on tomato plants

Old 01-13-2017, 02:30 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,433,330 times
The smell when I bury my face in my cat's hair.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:55 PM

538 posts, read 732,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
Fireflies. It is admittedly not the best smelling thing in the world, but Demeter Fragrances has a pretty good interpretation of this scent. Smells EXACTLY like your hands after you have been running around catching fireflies during a summer night.

The scent of sparklers after they have gone out.

Bubble soap.

Bazooka Joe bubble gum.

I still partake in some of these activities when I get tired of adulting.
Good ones! I can identify with all of these. Caught a lot of fireflies back in the day. Except we called them lightning bugs. Not the greatest smell in the world, but boy I'd remember it. Don't have any down here in Florida. I sure do miss them. As for sparklers...it was more than just sparklers...it was all the fireworks...and the smell of them still hanging in the air the next morning. Bubbles...yes...that nice clean smell. Bazooka Joe bubble gum...oh yeah, very much so. I think I'll have to go buy some now...just to recapture the days.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:15 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
There's a smell that absolutely repels everyone I know, as well as animals. I've seen people become nauseous. I once saw a kitten bite one and literally do back flips while trying to spit it out.

Talking about the brown marmorated Asian stink bug which migrated here 20-25 years ago. I don't enjoy the smell, not at all, but it doesn't bother me. Having said that, when they're near, I do release allergic histamines (runny nose) but the stink per se is no problem.
_____

One grandfather LOVED the smell of new shoes. He'd buy a pair and spend two days with his nose in them before putting them on.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:44 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Aviation jet fuel

Old 01-14-2017, 03:13 PM

893 posts, read 510,759 times
Petrol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology