Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 05:06 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,655,736 times

Advertisements

The personality type I am about to describe is not age specific, though, and likely coincidentally, I have seen it in 40-50 somethings:

This type of "personality type" sees a "new" person enter their lives, and builds this person up with great emotion:

- If they know that the "new person" suffers with a situation, though they don't know this person for a long time, their plight might move this "personality type" to tears.

- The "personality type" that I seek to identify will build up the "new person" into an all encompassing wonder; if you have a problem, this "new person" is the go to person for advice. If you are looking for career suggestions, financial suggestions, home improvement advice, car repair advice, cooking advice, etc., the "new person" is the designated "go to." No matter what, there is some component in the life of the "new person" that makes them shine in whatever area.

After some time passes, this personality type then finds fault with the "new person," and as quickly as the "new person" rose to prominence, is the "new person" brought down to an emotional low.

It might be extreme to say that the "new person" is then treated with contempt, but they are now given the silent treatment (for a time); they are now "good for nothing" when it comes to giving council; fault finding ensues with the "new person." The rejection of the "new person" is met with emotional angst.

I hope I am clearly describing what I have seen in this personality type. The point I am trying to describe is that the new person is built up to all encompassing (often undeserved) fantastic highs, and then the person descends into a low point at which they are treated with (almost) contempt.

Is anyone familiar with the personality type that I describe? I have seen this personality type in a few people, and would like to broaden my knowledge as to what this personality type is, etc. Best I know, the behavior of this "personality type" is relegated to the emotional realm; I would not assign this behavior as that fitting into an abnormal psychological profile (e.g. manic depressive).

Thanks in advance for your consideration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 05:18 PM

375 posts, read 297,260 times
Classical codependent behavior, and at the extreme level that you described I would guess that the person is suffering from BPD. Borderline Personality Disorder. These folks can be maddening and scary in their mood swings and their propensity to switch from loving you to hating you in a matter of hours. Minutes! They're sublime manipulaters and liars.msny find their way into politics. Such is their adeptness at deceit that I know several therapists who will not even treat them. They're just too difficult to engage in honesty with, and that is a necessary ingredient for successful therapy.
These folks are notorious for their....Come here! Go away! Mindsets.

Proceed with extreme caution. BPD is a fuzzy and off times nebulous line from full blown sociopathy.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
Classical codependent behavior, and at the extreme level that you described I would guess that the person is suffering from BPD. Borderline Personality Disorder. These folks can be maddening and scary in their mood swings and their propensity to switch from loving you to hating you in a matter of hours. Minutes! They're sublime manipulaters and liars.msny find their way into politics. Such is their adeptness at deceit that I know several therapists who will not even treat them. They're just too difficult to engage in honesty with, and that is a necessary ingredient for successful therapy.
These folks are notorious for their....Come here! Go away! Mindsets.

Proceed with extreme caution. BPD is a fuzzy and off times nebulous line from full blown sociopathy.
Thanks for offering me your time and explaination. You've given me some stuff to Google ...

Old 02-27-2017, 06:29 PM

Wow did you nail it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border...ality_disorder

Old 02-27-2017, 06:49 PM

A Google search revealed a wealth of information on this condition, so consider this matter closed .

Last edited by NDL; 02-27-2017 at 06:58 PM..

Old 02-27-2017, 07:03 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
It sounds like there may be some bipolarism in there too, as OP referred to highs and lows, although in the context hard to tell if that's what was meant. Mood swings are a hallmark of bipolarism. A confirming symptom would be if subject also experiences periods of high energy and low energy, and is definitely confirmed if subject sometimes has high enough energy to not sleep for a few days and/or sleeps excessively for more than usual periods -- disturbed diurnal periods coupled with similar energy swings.

Sad to say you can have multiple mental problems.

But perhaps BPD fully describes it.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:47 PM

375 posts, read 297,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
You're very welcome!

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance on any matters psychological.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:44 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,864 times
The game that they play is called the Karpman Drama Triangle.
It's a subtle way of manipulating another person by playing mind games.
Until you recognize the game, you'll keep getting sucked into playing it without any psychological growth and independence.
You will grow old but not up.

Manipulation & Relationship Triangles | Therapy Ideas

Old 03-01-2017, 05:37 PM

741 posts, read 1,380,253 times
In addition to the information provided above you might also want to take a look at the Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD).

Old 03-02-2017, 09:22 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,927,307 times
You're a complete psychopath. Get help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology