Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 11:37 AM

375 posts, read 297,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
You're a complete psychopath. Get help!
To whom are you speaking? the OP was talking about a friend--well, a former friend--not himself.

None of us here have spoken of our own personalities or behaviors. Rather, this thread has been one of diagnostics. You are off-topic and basically trolling. Reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 01:12 PM

5,134 posts, read 4,488,293 times
This sounds like either Borderline Personality Disorder or Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Those are the main ones that flip from admiration to devaluation of the other person.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:10 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,187,853 times
wouldn't one of the hallmarks of BPD be that this person does it over and over again with new people?

I wasn't clear if the OP saw a one time event or a recurring event.

I'm thinking one time didn't mean a pattern necessarily.

Jodi Arias was often called a person with BPD, but read she showed no signs of it until she got involved with Travis Alexander.

The distinction is important IMO (pattern or not).

Regardless, this sort of stuff is intriguing. I had a BPD roommate and it was a three month cycle over and over again. Those first three months were great! Not gonna lie!

Old 03-07-2017, 11:06 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,024,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It sounds like there may be some bipolarism in there too, as OP referred to highs and lows, although in the context hard to tell if that's what was meant. Mood swings are a hallmark of bipolarism. A confirming symptom would be if subject also experiences periods of high energy and low energy, and is definitely confirmed if subject sometimes has high enough energy to not sleep for a few days and/or sleeps excessively for more than usual periods -- disturbed diurnal periods coupled with similar energy swings.

Sad to say you can have multiple mental problems.

But perhaps BPD fully describes it.
Bipolar doesn't have the same speed of cycling. BPD people will literally create a tornado and 1 hour later be "ok" and don't understand why you're still upset. A lot of the stuff comes from perceived or real rejection. You have to set clear boundaries bc saying we'll see is interpreted as yes and watch out when it doesn't go their way.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:09 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,024,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
To whom are you speaking? the OP was talking about a friend--well, a former friend--not himself.

None of us here have spoken of our own personalities or behaviors. Rather, this thread has been one of diagnostics. You are off-topic and basically trolling. Reported.
You've been here one month and have already been caught plagiarizing. You should slow your roll.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:17 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post

Apparantly you missed the part of TOS stating that no *diagnosis* of any type is allowed on this forum.
No one can diagnose anything from descriptions and the only legal diasnosis has to come from a trained,
licensed Physician, Dentist, Psychologist, Psychiatrist, etc.

Perhaps you should be reported for impersonating a Psychiatrist on the internet.......

Old 03-08-2017, 08:44 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Bipolar doesn't have the same speed of cycling. BPD people will literally create a tornado and 1 hour later be "ok" and don't understand why you're still upset. A lot of the stuff comes from perceived or real rejection. You have to set clear boundaries bc saying we'll see is interpreted as yes and watch out when it doesn't go their way.
That's not true. Bipolarism has cycles of any length, may be primarily one direction and only rarely the other, and cycles are often quite irregular. It can even abate for a while only to return later.

Fortunately there are good drug treatments that help some bipolars.

But I've made myself clear that this topic does not seem to describe a person with bipolarism. Not to me.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:25 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,776,914 times
Narcissists seem to love putting people on pedestals, in order that they might knock those same people OFF those pedestals, later.

But really, that doesn't explain the EXTREMES we see, and the level of DESTRUCTIVENESS we see, among certain narcies. You can be Narcissistic AND 'Borderline', of course. Thanks for the insight into Borderline Personality Disorder. NOW, I have a window into certain people I've known.

And then, there's a certain fictional character, we all could swear we've known:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1E8i8GlyTg

Old 03-08-2017, 09:35 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Narcissists seem to love putting people on pedestals, in order that they might knock those same people OFF those pedestals, later.
No, that isn't it at all. I suggest you read the Wikipedia article on narcissism.

I like to put it this way: Narcissism is all about the narcissist who is starring in the movie of his life. He is the lead character, and everybody else is merely supporting cast.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:18 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,655,736 times

Thanks to you all, for your replies

I haven't looked into this thread in a good week, with the assumption that it had died down (only to see the wealth of new information, which I look forward to reviewing)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology