Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 07:10 PM

4,875 posts, read 2,679,748 times

Advertisements

genetics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 07:17 PM

372 posts, read 534,301 times
Curiosity

Old 02-28-2017, 07:23 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,034,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
We need all kinds of smart.

Personally I think a person with common sense is smarter than some intellectuals
Exactly. It isn't IQ (my tested score was 138). It's just plain old common sense and the ability to connect dots.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:01 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
genetics
^^ Exactly.

You are either born with it, or you're not. It isn't something you can acquire via parenting or good education. Not even experience. However, not all children born with the potential will have the opportunity to develop it fully. That's where the parenting, education and experience come in. But those after-birth factors can only help develop the potential. It must already be there.

Having a PhD does not make you smart. Neither does a job that pays $250k, or having a BIL who went to school with Tom Hanks. You're either born with the potential, or you're not. Can't get it any other way.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:58 PM

926 posts, read 830,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Blend of Book Smarts, Street Smarts, and Common sense.
Spot on. You can get killed easily if you lack any one of those three.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:00 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Someone who is a voracious reader.
Why thank you

Old 03-01-2017, 06:33 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,226,475 times
The ability to problem solve as it applies to:

life
school - assuming ambition is present also
money - assuming ambition is present also
relationships
the ability to be your own friend as opposed to being your own worst enemy

There are people who drop out of high school. They will clean toilets in old age homes for life.
There are people who finish high school in three years, go on to college and probably be very successful as a MD or lawyer.
The MD or lawyer is obviously smarter than the HS drop out. There are many slots in between. If IQ is a measure of problem solving ability then it is a good measure of smarts

Doing well at a corporation may be a measure of smarts but in many cases it could be a measure of submissiveness.

Wisdom - smart tempered by experience.

Last edited by Tonyafd; 03-01-2017 at 06:44 AM..

Old 03-01-2017, 07:28 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,567,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
I have my own hierarchy for this type of vocabulary. From order of least to most important:
  1. Intelligent: someone that knows lots of stuff. The ability to do well on Jeopardy, Trivial Pursuit, etc. Someone that can memorize random facts and data and quote it back.
  2. Smart: Someone that knows what to do with the information that recall. Or if they can't recall it or didn't learn it to begin with, would know where to go find it. Someone "smart" can apply knowledge, not just simply parrot it back.
  3. Wise: the combination of smart with learned experience. Knowing when (or when NOT) to apply it. Knowing the best way to apply their "smarts" for long-term benefit.
I could be more specific with my definitions, but most of you already know what I'm trying to say. And many will not agree with my assignment of these words with those specific descriptions, but it matters not, to me.

I would rather be considered smart (rather than intelligent) any day. In high school, I was considered very intelligent. It took one semester of college to prove that I wasn't very smart. Nor did I have the maturity or experience to even remotely claim wisdom.

Your definition of intelligent is really the definition of knowledgeable. Knowledgeable and intelligent are not coterminous. Not that you care, as you stated.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:11 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Genes and upbringing. Nothing else.
This is the only answer

Old 03-01-2017, 10:27 AM

213 posts, read 204,965 times
My father is super-smart, and my sister is also very smart, but i'm dumb, so I don't think it's genetics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology