Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 10:46 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,148,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Your definition of intelligent is really the definition of knowledgeable. Knowledgeable and intelligent are not coterminous. Not that you care, as you stated.
To me, the two words are synonymous.

Now you could bring out Roget or Webster and refute this, but it would be a waste of your time. Nitpicking the definitions of words - or using what many label as $5 words to sound intelligent - is what someone who thinks that they are smart would do.

But no. Again, all this illustrates is a knowing what a definition is (you know... being knowledgeable). Being able to use it in a sentence correctly is not much better. Being able to successfully talk to people in a meaningful manner without being verbose or eloquent is much more illustrative of "smart" (or even wise).

I have seen - in 2+ decades of teaching - some extremely eloquent speakers come through my doors, only to end up serving coffee at Starbucks. I have seen dozens drop out of college because they didn't have the emotional maturity or the common sense to change their study habits away from rote memorization to deep analysis (the former being intelligent/knowledgeable, the latter being smart).

Last edited by Starman71; 03-01-2017 at 11:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 12:56 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,906,765 times
Eq

Old 03-01-2017, 12:59 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
A good memory plays a big role in intelligence.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:03 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
To me, the two words are synonymous.
There's much more to intelligence than being able to absorb a lot of facts. Problem-solving ability is one indicator. Foreseeing potential problems and taking preventive measures is another. Analytical skills, vs. simple memorization--yet another.

Creativity and intuition are another indication. Einstein developed some of his theories not by doing the math, but via intuitive insights. Once he had a vision of how things worked, he had to back-track, and figure out the formulas, to make his theories acceptable to the scientific community.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:39 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I tend to associate with really stupid people and I ask that they refer to me as "Einstein" even though they have no idea who that guy was

Great job Socrates!

Old 03-01-2017, 01:43 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's much more to intelligence than being able to absorb a lot of facts. Problem-solving ability is one indicator. Foreseeing potential problems and taking preventive measures is another. Analytical skills, vs. simple memorization--yet another.

Creativity and intuition are another indication. Einstein developed some of his theories not by doing the math, but via intuitive insights. Once he had a vision of how things worked, he had to back-track, and figure out the formulas, to make his theories acceptable to the scientific community.
You are correct. Einstein had a magnificent imagination, but was lousy at math. His math to prove E=mc<2 was wrong eight times in a row. He was correct, but it took nine tries to get the math right.

His special relativity paper had errors, but the theory was correct.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:52 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,148,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Did you completely miss my original post that basically states this very thing?

Old 03-01-2017, 03:50 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Just your opinion.
1. Adquired knowledge
2. Being able to learn anything quickly

It takes both of them to have a smart person ... that's why engineers are regarded as very smart people

Old 03-01-2017, 04:41 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
There are many variables.
Let's assume everyone has an IQ of 100.
Someone who is great with people, and who works hard, can be more successful than someone who is bad with people, and basically lazy.
Maybe I'm kind of dumb, but very good at reading people.
Maybe I'm brilliant, but very bad at reading people. Who will be better off?

Old 03-01-2017, 06:06 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
What a great question. There are so many variables. I've wondered about this often.

I think my sisters are all smarter than I am. My father had a very successful business but did not plan for my mother after his death. He gave away all his money to a charity. He built an addition without a permit.

I am a voracious reader and very curious but can't do math or understand technology.

My husband can do complex mathematical calculations but I have to explain the plots of every show we watch.

I figure I'm just smart enough to know what I'm missing. The more ignorant around me seem happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology