Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 05:57 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times

Advertisements

I think you have to find the right therapist. I have had two in my life that have been very good. They help me get out of my head and change my inner negative speak.

There is a lot of work on my part, but the therapist has been a tremendous help. It also can help just having someone a sounding board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 05:57 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
The informal definition of when a psychological problem becomes a pathological problem is when it interferes with your leading a normal life to such a degree that it causes some serious amount of incapacitation.

In other words, if your problem is bad enough that it interferes with leading a normal life then you need professional help.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:24 PM

951 posts, read 1,141,323 times
No, therapists I've seen have all been a waste. I've gotten better advice and ears from public forums.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
No, therapists I've seen have all been a waste. I've gotten better advice and ears from public forums.
At least somebody has been reading my posts!

I'll PM my PayPal address to you shortly...

Old 03-08-2017, 07:02 PM

36 posts, read 24,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Hi all,

So it seems I have finally found a therapist I click with. We had a small chat on the phone about a week ago and she was very insightful. I absolutely felt understood.

I had already attended therapy when I was in college a few years back and it was bad. The (male) therapist said I was flirting with him (which I was not), focused on my so-called 'privileged' background and even told me I was lying about my childhood abuse (at which point, I stopped the sessions since it was pointless to talk to someone who didn't believe me when all of my core issues stem from this pain).

This time around, I'm seeking professional help with a therapist who seems highly qualified and I'm paying the proportionate price. I really want this to work for me.

Have you ever successfully undergone therapy? How long does it take to finally see progress? How is the progress noticed?
Hey'up LIP,

I'm a qualified Psychologist, my field of expertise is Abuse and abuse behaviours.

I was in an abusive family environment as a child, the past experiences stood me on good ground for becoming a therapist in my chosen field, even though I ignored the calling for quite a few years.

To be a good therapist, in any field means caring about people, and ultimately caring about their clients. Clients are number 1, there is no No 2, 3 or 4 etc, or in between, clients are number 1; a caring professional therapist will treat them as such.

In answer to your questions,

Have you ever successfully undergone therapy?

This depends on both the client and the therapist, the client needs to be willing to commit without the expectation of miracles or quick fixes, there are neither.

The therapist needs to be fully understanding of the client's situation, know what they are talking about, and recognise when to refer their client onto a more qualified therapist if need be.

There is a gap imo, between therapists who learn from books (College, University etc) and those who have experienced past abuse themselves, the latter has past experiences.

How long does it take to finally see progress?

This depends on the depth of the problem combined with your first question. There is no time frame on healing, different people heal at different rates, having said that, a 12 yr old girl can heal faster than say a 40 or 50 year old person.

How is the progress noticed?

Progress can be noticed in various ways, other people (close to you) will notice the progress or changes in you first, you yourself may occasionally say something along the lines of "Jeez, I wouldn't have done/said that a couple of years ago), you also may begin to feel more comfortable with your problem, in that it's controlling your thoughts and actions less and less. Your therapist may say you're progressing, but only by your feedback, they wouldn't see you in your everyday life.

Abuse is illegal and not a nice thing to be on the receiving end of, but our past abuses can help individuals to better their future, and themselves.

Best of British to you, Hope it was helpfull

David Swain

Old 03-08-2017, 07:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I think you have to find the right therapist.
And, when one hears, "find the right therapist," is important to note that that isn't just limited to finding one where there is a therapeutic level of comfort, respect, personality fit, communication style that works well for you, etc. It also means finding a practitioner that is trained and based in the school of counseling that most strongly speaks to you and is effective for your particular issue.

Many therapists are eclectic, using pieces of various theories of counseling, but lots also have certain approaches they may be most comfortable in, have the highest level of professional competency in, and/or simply naturally gravitate toward. Some theories of counseling are more effective for some issues than others, as well.

This can be hit and miss and can take time, since people seeking counseling don't automatically go in knowing what, specifically the issue is. They may go in, for instance, describing feelings of depression, and in the course of therapy, something else may be unearthed...perhaps obsessive-compulsive tendencies, and the depression springs from self-isolation that has resulted from trying to conceal o/c behavior. Or perhaps a trauma that has never been discussed comes up. Until you know the whole picture you're dealing with, it may not be possible to know what approach and/or school of therapy is most effective or appropriate. It's a process. And a well-trained therapist will also know when to refer, if it becomes apparent that issues unearthed are better served by another professional specializing within a milieu better suited to the issues.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
And, when one hears, "find the right therapist," is important to note that that isn't just limited to finding one where there is a therapeutic level of comfort, respect, personality fit, communication style that works well for you, etc. It also means finding a practitioner that is trained and based in the school of counseling that most strongly speaks to you and is effective for your particular issue.
Who are you? We seem to share a lot of opinions in common.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:15 PM

Just someone who's worked in and studied mental health for a long time.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:23 PM

I minored in Psych. I too have studied it for a long time, which is why I chose it as my minor, because the subject always fascinates me.

What could be more interesting to people than people and how they function?

ETA:

Rethinking it, "why they function!" What makes them tick?

Old 03-08-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I minored in Psych. I too have studied it for a long time, which is why I chose it as my minor, because the subject always fascinates me.

What could be more interesting to people than people and how they function?

ETA:

Rethinking it, "why they function!" What makes them tick?
I'm doing grad work right now, long after my undergrad days, and after years of teaching and working with families and adolescents with developmental and behavioral health issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology