Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 02:44 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,739,487 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So it seems I have finally found a therapist I click with. We had a small chat on the phone about a week ago and she was very insightful. I absolutely felt understood.

I had already attended therapy when I was in college a few years back and it was bad. The (male) therapist said I was flirting with him (which I was not), focused on my so-called 'privileged' background and even told me I was lying about my childhood abuse (at which point, I stopped the sessions since it was pointless to talk to someone who didn't believe me when all of my core issues stem from this pain).

This time around, I'm seeking professional help with a therapist who seems highly qualified and I'm paying the proportionate price. I really want this to work for me.

Have you ever successfully undergone therapy? How long does it take to finally see progress? How is the progress noticed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 02:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
It's not one size fits all.

Generally speaking, if you are committed to learning about and working on mental health, and taking proactive steps to address issues you are having (which may or may not include therapy), you are likely to see improvement. Finding a provider who is a good fit is also part of the process.

People who don't are often people who enter in with attitudes that they, personally, won't need to work on or change anything themselves, and/or that mental health professionals are either auto mechanics who will tinker and fix things for them, or magicians who will just wave a wand, and, poof, things are fixed.

Most of the work of therapy is done under one's own steam, and desire to understand and make appropriate changes.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:43 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
I had already attended therapy when I was in college a few years back and it was bad. The (male) therapist said I was flirting with him (which I was not), focused on my so-called 'privileged' background and even told me I was lying about my childhood abuse (at which point, I stopped the sessions since it was pointless to talk to someone who didn't believe me when all of my core issues stem from this pain).
My experience was pretty negative too. The difference was that I did therapy as a kid, so "flirting" wasn't even in the equation. But the "didn't believe me" part was exactly the same. The therapist would ask me: "How did this-and-that make you feel?" I'd give an answer. The therapist would turn around and say: "No, that's not what you felt."

Now, how do you respond to that?

Old 03-07-2017, 03:53 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Congrats on finding a good therapist, OP! And absolutely--a good therapist can help you overcome your self-defeating stuff, whatever it is, and heal from early abuse. Let us know how it goes in general--good luck!

After referring some students to college counseling centers when I was an undergrad advisor, and getting weird feedback from them, I looked into it. I discovered that not all of the "counselors" they have there are in clinical psych programs. A few are getting a degree in educational counseling, which isn't about doing deep psych work, family trauma stuff, etc. Others are getting MSW degrees--ditto.

And as is true with counselors out in the world (vs. in uni health centers), you get a variety of personalities, some of whom haven't done their own work and resolved their own issues, so that can get in the way. (Counselors who argue with the client and fight them, like yours, lol---sad, but crazy/funny). Also, you may get people who are trained very narrowly, for ex., they only do the type of "therapy" where the counselor sits like a bump on a log taking notes while the client is supposed blather on about his/her issues. This doesn't work for a lot of people.

So it's very much a mixed bag. It's a real blessing that you found a good one. Run with it!

Old 03-07-2017, 03:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Congrats on finding a good therapist, OP! And absolutely--a good therapist can help you overcome your self-defeating stuff, whatever it is, and heal from early abuse. Let us know how it goes in general--good luck!

After referring some students to college counseling centers when I was an undergrad advisor, and getting weird feedback from them, I looked into it. I discovered that not all of the "counselors" they have there are in clinical psych programs. A few are getting a degree in educational counseling, which isn't about doing deep psych work, family trauma stuff, etc. Others are getting MSW degrees--ditto.

And as is true with counselors out in the world (vs. in uni health centers), you get a variety of personalities, some of whom haven't done their own work and resolved their own issues, so that can get in the way. (Counselors who argue with the client and fight them, like yours, lol---sad, but crazy/funny). Also, you may get people who are trained very narrowly, for ex., they only do the type of "therapy" where the counselor sits like a bump on a log taking notes while the client is supposed blather on about his/her issues. This doesn't work for a lot of people.

So it's very much a mixed bag. It's a real blessing that you found a good one. Best wishes!
Campus counseling centers very often employ grad students doing their clinical practicum, but they are required to be under supervision of fully licensed mental health professionals while in practicum.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:14 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Campus counseling centers very often employ grad students doing their clinical practicum, but they are required to be under supervision of fully licensed mental health professionals while in practicum.
Thanks, I was hoping you'd chime in. Are they mostly grad students, or do they also have professionals that students could request? I know campus crisis centers have experienced professionals, but the regular center, for long-term counseling, needs those, too.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:41 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Father of psychoanalysis, Mr Freud, said, when asked what exactly is that he does, this:

I make neurotically unhappy people normally unhappy.

Did it answer your question?

Old 03-07-2017, 05:08 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
You can help jump-start your therapy (and ultimately save yourself some money due to fewer sessions) by reading this book - Reinventing Your Life.

There are some questionnaires in the beginning which help you identify negative patterns in your life (patterns in thoughts, feelings, and behavior). Once you identify which core negative patterns are affecting your life, the book helps you develop insight into how the pattern got there, and what you can do to change it.

The book does not replace a good therapist, but it would greatly speed up the process, and help your therapist gain much quicker insight into your issues. You can bring the book in and show the therapist how you answered the questions, and then use that to start identifying the patterns in your life you want to work on in therapy.

The book is based on a model called Schema Therapy. I did a quick google search and found this nice PDF which describes how the therapy works. I would say the book is a bit easier to understand, but the PDF does give you an idea of what its all about.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:04 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
It appears you did an "intake" on the phone? You haven't seen this psychologist in person yet?

Seems a bit premature to make an opinion although having a good phone chat indicates a good chance your real intake appointment will be good. I doubt you will have a good basis to decide until 3-5 appointments, and remember it's always an ongoing process. It is sometimes necessary to change counselors.

Yes, of course counseling works. Except there has to be a good match between counselor and patient. Patient has to make up their own mind whether it helps, and has to consider whether present counselor or somebody else would help more. I see no reason to not try a different one, then go back to first one if it doesn't work out.

The only rule I know is most healthcare insurance policies are limited to one visit per week. If you are trying different counselors do it in different weeks.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:22 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
Nope. 95% of therapists suck. Very clueless people in it for the wrong reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology