Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 10:18 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times

Advertisements

A healthy ego is an essential component with regard to living a reasonably successful life. No one should be elevating their sense of self beyond the level of their ability. However, a well balanced person would be accepting others for their abilities, as well as their own. Any imbalance of ego and compassion leads to a delusional state of mind, but it seems to be a common aspect of modern man to want to be more than he is capable of. Fantasy sports and fantasy sexual escapades are also factors in the lives of delusional people, and again, both fantasies are common to the American male.

The cult of celebrity has facilitated the rise in individualism as opposed to caring about the needs of others, celeb worship is rampant in society, and the end result is a desire among the populace to elevate one's attributes. Whether they be enhanced personal looks, (boob job, face lift) or an unhealthy infatuation with affectation which relates to sports, matters of personal finance, cars you drive, and homes you buy. We have a collective of people in America who relentlessly pursue their fantasies and they are encouraged by advertising which aims at the ego, and often provokes an excessive focus on self, to the exclusion of, or detriment of, others around them..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 11:31 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Every life has intrinsic value. But I don't think that's what you're asking, so let me make this simpler, maybe.

Is it delusional to think I'm a good plumber if no one else thinks so? Yes, that's delusional.

Is it delusional to think I'm a good dentist if no one else thinks so? Yes, that's delusional.

Is it delusional to think I'm a good singer if no one else thinks so? Yes, that's delusional.

Is it delusional to believe I am __________ when no one else thinks so? Yes. The line between esteeming yourself for a particular quality is delusional if no one else agrees. (Almost always, with the rare exceptions where everyone else is wrong and only one person turns out to be right. Don't bet on that being the case).

Old 07-17-2017, 03:43 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,052 times
Thank you for the serious replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Every life has intrinsic value. But I don't think that's what you're asking, so let me make this simpler, maybe.

Is it delusional to think I'm a good plumber if no one else thinks so? Yes, that's delusional.

Is it delusional to think I'm a good dentist if no one else thinks so? Yes, that's delusional.

Is it delusional to think I'm a good singer if no one else thinks so? Yes, that's delusional.

Is it delusional to believe I am __________ when no one else thinks so? Yes. The line between esteeming yourself for a particular quality is delusional if no one else agrees. (Almost always, with the rare exceptions where everyone else is wrong and only one person turns out to be right. Don't bet on that being the case).
Maybe the more appropriate statement would be "I have the credentials and history to support my belief that I am _____ but I'm in an environment where I'm surrounded by people who disagree." When you're exposed long enough to opposition, your self-worth begins to feel like a delusion.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:28 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Your title question is an interesting one, OP. Studies have shown that people who are a little delusional on the positive side of the optimism spectrum, and believe strongly in themselves, and that everything will turn out fine (against all objective observation), are happier. Some of the people who are the bubbly and easy-going types achieve that by ignoring warning signs, or advice to take precautions of one type or another. Delusion works for them.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:47 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,640 times
The line being self esteem feels good, whereas delusion feels GREAT.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Your title question is an interesting one, OP. Studies have shown that people who are a little delusional on the positive side of the optimism spectrum, and believe strongly in themselves, and that everything will turn out fine (against all objective observation), are happier. Some of the people who are the bubbly and easy-going types achieve that by ignoring warning signs, or advice to take precautions of one type or another. Delusion works for them.
When you look at the personalities of successful athletes or moguls, they mostly consider themselves themselves the greatest at what they do, even if public opinion or facts suggests something different. On the flipside, I can think of a few disgraced athletes who were phenomenal in their prime, but were never the same after their ego was crushed.

I'm really not sure how far self-value can go until it's unhealthy, or whether you should balance your value with the value society places on you. Some people who achieve great success in their careers seem to ignore everyone.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:34 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
I think the real question is what's the difference between confidence and delusion instead of esteem.
I know that some people think it's things like a tone deaf person thinking they can be Mariah or a 5 ft guy becoming the slam dunk champ but I think a better comparison is 2 people who have the same natural ability and showing how confidence vs delusion can affect their outcome.
Imo, confidence doesn't make results on it's own but it motivates you to put in the work.
Delusional people think success just comes and is owed to them

Let's use athletes and writers for examples
1- a confident one knows that they aren't going to win every event or have every article published but the more they work, the better the chance.
They are open to instruction, advice. They accept their limitations and even if they strive to be/are the best, they understand that there is always someone working hard to be better than you. They don't stew in the setbacks, they usually use it to work harder.

2- a delusional one believe that they did everything perfectly and it's the judges/publishers who are too stupid to recognize it. Everyone is stupid and they know everything.
They believe that talent means that success is due without putting in work. They focus on the fame/fortune instead of realizing that will come with the work.
Setbacks affect them greatly, they are prone to conspiracy theories, etc

Old 07-19-2017, 04:47 PM

I might be thinking of the "crabs in the barrel" syndrome. Something along those lines, at least. If you're surrounded by negativity, but aspire to be something better, a setback will likely put you back in the non-supportive environment. It's a mental struggle to determine whether you belong in the "barrel," or you have what it takes to be successful.

It also matters how much your self-worth stands the test of reality. There's a difference between avoiding negativity, and creating a fragile "bubble" for your entire belief system.

I've been facing a number of setbacks, in case anyone is wondering where this is all coming from. My personal issues isn't something I need to talk about in this topic.

Last edited by nc17; 07-19-2017 at 05:03 PM..

Old 07-19-2017, 07:02 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
And is it really wrong to believe in your value as a person, even though it's an unpopular opinion?
Who told you that believing in your own value is unpopular?

Old 07-20-2017, 05:26 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
nothin' wrong with a healthy ego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology