Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 11:04 AM

5,194 posts, read 1,872,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

The main characteristic of most of these disorders is lack of self-awareness, as well as lack of empathy - and little motivation to change.

A lot of these people have no clue how they impact others (can't see beyond their own needs).
Those personality traits are true of narcissists but not BPD though in my experience (I'm very interested in the needs of those less well off than myself despite having a diagnosis of the latter). I'm also much more self aware than most people I know. BPD is about emotional control issues.

As for causes, I'm not going to speculate too much on its cause but I have seen absolutely no solid evidence of the past life idea, and it has far less credibility than anything supporting that there is a genetic or brain chemistry component to it - especially seeing as behaviours can be modified with medications. I also had a good upbringing so I know it can't be related to my environment growing up.

I certainly don't see it as being "weak of character" - quite the opposite, I have to have a lot of strength to live normally while managing the ups and downs of the condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 11:08 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Don't group all together. Many of us have accepted the diagnosis.

I too have BPD. There are five of nine criteria that must be met to be considered BPD. I have less than five and therefore considered in remission...and have been for years. So there are of course varying levels of BPD.
Amen to this. People with Borderline Disorder have the advantage of being able to improve their symptoms with age. There's wonderful hope in this and it should be emphasized in therapy.

The same can be true of Antisocial Personality Disorder. Some of them mellow with age.

Oddly enough there are people with Personality Disorders who do have insight and if their behavior bonks them on the head enough times they learn from that. It's a simple principle of behavior modification.

I always think if nothing worked why bother? Just take 'em out behind the barn and shoot 'em. LOL The whole concept of therapy is believing in the possibility inherent the mysterious human brain.

We're learning. Here's a quote from a Personality Disorder Awareness Network article:

"In recent years a significant number of studies have emerged which contribute to the understanding of Borderline and Narcissistic, in particular. They have been found to be far more responsive to treatment than was previously believed."

Are Personality Disorders Treatable? « Personality Disorder Awareness Network

Old 05-11-2019, 11:09 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
That's true of narcissists but not BPD though in my experience (I'm very interested in the needs of those less well off than myself despite having a diagnosis of the latter). I'm also much more self aware than most people I know. BPD is about emotional control issues. I'm not going to speculate too much on its cause but I have seen no evidence of the past life idea, I had a good upbringing, and am more inclined to think there is some genetic or brain chemistry component to it.

I certainly don't see it as being "weak of character" - quite the opposite, I have to have a lot of strength to live normally while managing the ups and downs of the condition.
You are unique as someone with the BPD diagnosis. The people I have known had zero emotional stability combined with almost total lack of awareness of the effects of their "fits" on others.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
You are unique as someone with the BPD diagnosis. The people I have known had zero emotional stability combined with almost total lack of awareness of the effects of their "fits" on others.
I'd agree I'm mostly quite emotionally stable, but I've had moments of outbursts/emotional control losses in certain situations, which people easily remember, and then tend to remember/define you by that only. It happens less with age too I notice. When you get an emotional outburst you temporarily lose awareness of those around you. Mind you I think everybody gets moments like this in life, but people with BPD more so.

Compared to most with BPD I tend to internalise my emotional issues and get suicidal thoughts rather than having obvious meltdowns or outbursts in front of people.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I'd agree I'm mostly quite emotionally stable, but I've had moments of outbursts/emotional control losses in certain situations, which people easily remember, and then tend to remember/define you by that only. It happens less with age too I notice. When you get an emotional outburst you temporarily lose awareness of those around you. Mind you I think everybody gets moments like this in life, but people with BPD more so.
Right . . . but you have awareness, and hopefully, remorse when your behavior is the cause of upset for others.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Right . . . but you have awareness, and hopefully, remorse when your behavior is the cause of upset for others.
The awareness returns after an emotional episode. And so yes if I've offended somebody I always make a point of apologising for anything and explaining what happened, because I'm a conscientious decent person. Attacks of the BPD like that probably represent less than 0.5% of my life... but people will judge you on it.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
The awareness returns after an emotional episode. And so yes if I've offended somebody I always make a point of apologising for anything and explaining what happened, because I'm a conscientious decent person. Attacks of the BPD like that probably represent less than 0.5% of my life... but people will judge you on it.
You have a good character - most with BPD do not (my opinion).

Old 05-11-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
You have a good character - most with BPD do not (my opinion).
Maybe not, but I wouldn't like to say because they could have it much worse than I do. It's a bit catch 22 where their lack of awareness might mean they are stuck unable to be conscious enough to correct their behaviour.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:26 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But why would they get worse with age? Why would they intensify? What would be the cause of that?
They don't get "worse"....the various traits of the personality disorder that they possess become more pronounced. These are the traits that allowed them to survive the extreme difficulties of their childhood, so their behaviors have served them well throughout all those years. These people would not have been able to survive without the development of their personality disorder.

And Borderline Personality Disorder is no different; however, it is one personality disorder that has shown to respond to DBT, Dialectical Behavior Therapy (a form of cognitive behavior therapy). Once again, the person with this--or any--PD has to want to change. Most personality disordered individuals are not aware of a need to change.

Old 05-11-2019, 01:15 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
They don't get "worse"....the various traits of the personality disorder that they possess become more pronounced. These are the traits that allowed them to survive the extreme difficulties of their childhood, so their behaviors have served them well throughout all those years. These people would not have been able to survive without the development of their personality disorder.

And Borderline Personality Disorder is no different; however, it is one personality disorder that has shown to respond to DBT, Dialectical Behavior Therapy (a form of cognitive behavior therapy). Once again, the person with this--or any--PD has to want to change. Most personality disordered individuals are not aware of a need to change.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, about the characteristics becoming more pronounced with age. I thought we were discussing "with age" in the context of passing into middle age and beyond, but maybe that's not what you meant. Maybe you're speaking about childhood survival tactics becoming firmly set in place, in the adult personality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology