Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 10:09 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,873,194 times

Advertisements

IQ testing was designed to identify extremes for the purpose of intervention (e.g. placement in a special education or g/t program), not to rank people. A score of a few points this way or that way shouldn't be taken as a meaningful difference - it's not like GPA rankings or interest rates. Someone who scores a 90 can't accurately be said to be more intelligent than someone who scores an 87 only based on those two scores - they just answered one or two more questions correctly for whatever reason. It's also completely normal for scores to fluctuate within the same general range from day to day or year to year.

Some subsections can have more relevance to a person's life than others. For example, people who score lower overall but comparatively high on verbal IQ tend to present as bright and may have fewer issues with, say, employment, even if they find certain activities challenging.

Anyway, outcomes aren't determined by a score, they're determined by whether you best utilize the brain you have. Learn your strengths and play to them, and be real about your weaknesses and mitigate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 10:14 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,962,513 times
I've been professionally tested three times with a median score of 147 and I never know what the hell is going on. Don't take any stock in it, and don't let it bother you. Focus on what you want to do with your life and don't make IQ a part of it.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:16 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,537,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
This was a test that was given to me, under my consent, from a professional that I've been seeing for several years, as they were actually curious to see where I placed. I'm very well aware of the fact that these tests are often perceived as being deplorable under our current societies standards, yet it doesn't make detest placing into a range that they've labeled as being 'dull normal' any less, which is seriously a degrading name. Why not just rename it as being the 'below average' range? Are they any ways to boost my intelligence quotient?
I'd give you +30 points for vocabulary, and -20 points for grammar.

"Average is 100"

Old 07-30-2017, 10:45 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 15 days ago)

35,657 posts, read 18,015,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
IQ testing was designed to identify extremes for the purpose of intervention (e.g. placement in a special education or g/t program), not to rank people. A score of a few points this way or that way shouldn't be taken as a meaningful difference - it's not like GPA rankings or interest rates. Someone who scores a 90 can't accurately be said to be more intelligent than someone who scores an 87 only based on those two scores - they just answered one or two more questions correctly for whatever reason. It's also completely normal for scores to fluctuate within the same general range from day to day or year to year.

Some subsections can have more relevance to a person's life than others. For example, people who score lower overall but comparatively high on verbal IQ tend to present as bright and may have fewer issues with, say, employment, even if they find certain activities challenging.

Anyway, outcomes aren't determined by a score, they're determined by whether you best utilize the brain you have. Learn your strengths and play to them, and be real about your weaknesses and mitigate them.
That's so true. B students rule the world.

I've socialized with MENSA members - not because I am one, but because I have family members who are - and although they are great conversationalists, MENSA members often are under achievers.

So. Yeah. Intelligence doesn't determine your success in life. Average intelligence is enough to succeed in a huge way.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:53 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,873,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's so true. B students rule the world.

I've socialized with MENSA members - not because I am one, but because I have family members who are - and although they are great conversationalists, MENSA members often are under achievers.

So. Yeah. Intelligence doesn't determine your success in life. Average intelligence is enough to succeed in a huge way.
Well, MENSA is kinda silly, so I'm not surprise you're kinda unimpressed by it's membership, lol.

I think the myth of the clueless genius rather overplayed, but it is true enough that sometimes people with high intelligence have cruised through their early schooling, and therefore missed out on chances to learn to really dig in intellectually, develop study skills, and deal with setbacks. G/T programs tend to be perceived as snooty or superfluous but IMO it's just as necessary as SpEd, for the academic and functional development of high intelligence students.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:20 AM

403 posts, read 667,649 times
Quote:
This was froma test that was given to me, under my consent, from a professional that I've been seeing for several years, as they were actually curious to see where I placed. I'm very well aware of the fact that these tests are often perceived as being deplorable under our current societies standards, yet it doesn't make detest placing into a range that they've labeled as being 'dull normal' any less, which is seriously a degrading name. Why cant they just refer to it as being the 'below average' range? Are there any legit methods to boost my intelligence quotient?
I fixed it for you. Now don't ***** to me stating that I'm a day too late.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:52 AM

351 posts, read 483,092 times
You should not be perturbed and just embrace your role in society as a Gamma or Delta.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:02 AM

361 posts, read 386,258 times
Throughout my life I have taken many, many IQ tests. My uncle was a professor and gave my name to students to use me to practice administering tests. The range of test scores was remarkable.

Even though I have taken perhaps 50 IQ tests I only claim the closest score to 100.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:48 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,646,914 times
Quote:
This was a test that was given to me, under my consent, from a professional that I've been seeing for several years, as they were actually curious to see where I placed. I'm very well aware of the fact that these tests are often perceived as being deplorable under our current societies standards, yet it doesn't make detest placing into a range that they've labeled as being 'dull normal' any less, which is seriously a degrading name. Why not just rename it as being the 'below average' range? Are they any ways to boost my intelligence quotient?
Going by your articulation here such a score seems a bit skewed by something. I wouldn't put to much stock in it. Much depends on a particular test, the one giving it, and the scoring methods. I've had two such tests recently, and scored 96 on o e and 127 on the other. Lol, wildly varied results to say the least. One test was given by a male phsyciatrist, the other by a female counselor. They were quite different in the questions asked and the interpretation of answers and many of the questions had no "correct" answer. They were subjective and open to individual interpretation by both me and the one giving the test. In my case one of the administrators was much more objective than the otber. I'll let you guess which one.

Truly I wouldn't sweat it. Lol, some of my interpretive answers on one of these tests just flummoxed the one giving it and thus my score was reduced due the their lack of understanding. It was over their PhD head and I found that amusing.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:52 AM

18,136 posts, read 25,314,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Common sense ....
Common sense is the opposite of engineering

Show me a bridge built with common sense and I'll show you a very expensive bridge or a bridge that won't last very long
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology