Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 03:40 AM

403 posts, read 666,552 times

Advertisements

This was a test that was given to me, under my consent, from a professional that I've been seeing for several years, as they were actually curious to see where I placed. I'm very well aware of the fact that these tests are often perceived as being deplorable under our current societies standards, yet it doesn't make detest placing into a range that they've labeled as being 'dull normal' any less, which is seriously a degrading name. Why not just rename it as being the 'below average' range? Are they any ways to boost my intelligence quotient?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 08:45 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,344,803 times
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Confucius

Open your mind and hunger for the truth.
It's time in your life to start to read and learn !

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/t...knowledge.html

Old 07-30-2017, 10:55 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
By your writing, I doubt very much that you have an IQ of 87. I have a son with Down syndrome, when he was younger, he could figure out almost everything with an estimated IQ of less than 50, so I asked an "expert" in the field about this and asked if he could explain it, he said "Well, first you have to believe that the testing is accurate."

Funny thing is that in 2nd grade, I tested 116. Education much eat your education, it felt like it too, because by 10th grade, the next time they tested, my IQ had dropped 8 points to 108. I had a 3.5 GPA in high school and spent almost no time studying and did my homework in the 5 minutes between class or at lunch, never ever hauled books home.

I am not sure why you wanted an IQ test. First, you should read about their lack of reliability,"google" for the articles. Success is not based on IQ, and it doesn't mean one is smart. It really doesn't mean anything at all.

"Google" read some articles and go on with your life. No need to rename anything related to the IQ test, except "meaningless".

If it isn't too personal, why on earth did you have the IQ test to begin with?

Old 07-30-2017, 11:27 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
The fact that you got offended by a test result makes me think that you are not "very intelligent"
There's no easy way to measure intelligence or even define it

I define intelligence as the ability to learn new things,
The problem is that I know many people that didn't go to school, took them years to learn their skills (slow learners)
Are they dumb for learning slow? Or are they smart for having 20+ years of experience?

Same goes with any test,
You are being tested on how much you know, not how fast you are learning

Old 07-30-2017, 12:52 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
My guess would be you are higher based on your writing

And remember 70% of people are between an 85 and a 115, "average" is between 90 and 110

Old 07-30-2017, 01:01 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
ways to increase your IQ

https://www.google.com/search?client...k1.37pjB_2oie4

scroll down through all of these hits

Old 07-30-2017, 01:28 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,624 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
This was a test that was given to me, under my consent, from a professional that I've been seeing for several years, as they were actually curious to see where I placed. I'm very well aware of the fact that these tests are often perceived as being deplorable under our current societies standards, yet it doesn't make detest placing into a range that they've labeled as being 'dull normal' any less, which is seriously a degrading name. Why not just rename it as being the 'below average' range? Are they any ways to boost my intelligence quotient?
I agree with the others that your writing indicates a higher IQ than 87. I'm curious, why did they administer an intelligence test? Were there things that it seemed like you should be able to do or figure out, that you aren't able to?

"Dull normal" does seem insulting, but "below average" is way too vague. The reason for that somewhat insulting name is it indicated to educators that the child was within the normal range and there were no other barriers to intelligence found like dyslexia or blood sugar swings, etc.

What goals do you have to "increase your intelligence", besides increase the number? Are you finding that you often are unable to follow conversation of very intelligent people, or you can't figure out fairly simple logics problems?

A little more information would be helpful, and you might want to locate a good online test. (Not those jokey kind on social media that say only 1% of people know this).

Best wishes.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:31 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,624 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The fact that you got offended by a test result makes me think that you are not "very intelligent"
There's no easy way to measure intelligence or even define it

I define intelligence as the ability to learn new things,
The problem is that I know many people that didn't go to school, took them years to learn their skills (slow learners)
Are they dumb for learning slow? Or are they smart for having 20+ years of experience?

Same goes with any test,
You are being tested on how much you know, not how fast you are learning
There are some tests, like academic tests or the ACT that test knowledge. Others test reasoning ability. I've never heard of an IQ test that's a test of knowledge.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:20 PM

757 posts, read 837,874 times
Psychology = fake science. I have known some highly intelligent people who could not change a flat tire. Look at these supposedly high intelligent people running our government. Seriously? I say humbug in regard to such tests.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:56 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,724 times
I had two of my four kids privately tested by a child psychologist when switching from Montessori to public shools, just for my own desire to know.

MANY factors can influence testing and score inaccuracy; many subtleties can skew the responses.

One kid tested at 144; four years later tested again by SAME examiner, score had dropped to 129.

Other kid tested 119, she told me she hated the test, hated the examiner because she "smelled old" and paid little attention to what was being asked of her. Did not test her a second time.

Money down the drain was the conclusion I drew.

Agree with the posters who say you write too well to have an IQ of 87.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology