Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many human genders are there?
Two: male and female 61 91.04%
Three: male, female, and gay 0 0%
Many: male, female, gay, trans, lesbian, demi-man, demi-woman, etc. 6 8.96%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:33 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
Being gay is not a gender, and being a demi-man or demi-woman doesn't exist.

I believe there are 2 genders--male and female. There are those who feel neither male nor female, and I can respect that, but I wouldn't call it a gender.
Thank you! A gender is a physical distinction made by nature. Almost always there are two, male and female. Once in a while a hermaphrodite is born. But that is not the same as a sexual orientation.

If people think gayness or straightness is a gender, WOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 10:03 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,138,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Thank you! A gender is a physical distinction made by nature. Almost always there are two, male and female. Once in a while a hermaphrodite is born. But that is not the same as a sexual orientation.

If people think gayness or straightness is a gender, WOW.
I agree! I think many get the different "varieties" all mixed up, well, I actually know they do from reading recent posts here at CD.

But, keep in mind, they used to ask "sex", male or female. Now, they have changed that and asked gender, it appears from the definition which I believe may have been tweaked in recent years, that gender is a "state of mind" rather than a physical "condition". We have always had females who were more on the masculine side, and males more on the feminine side, but that didn't mean the females were males because they were interested in playing with trucks and cars when they were little, and/or not wearing clothing that was purely female in style. Same with the boys, if they liked dolls (let's face it, those Barbie size GI Joes were dolls too ), maybe were "soft" spoken, etc. it didn't mean they were girls. Both of those examples demonstrate why parents should not be quite to turn their little boy or girl into the opposite sex!

There are 2 biological sexes, hermaphrodites are the exception. They have changed the wording now to "gender", so we are no longer talking about biological sexes. I have no idea why they have done this, maybe as a way to divert from the bigger problems the world faces.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:20 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
The term "sex" is still used for animals. People are animals.

Maybe the term became avoided when too many people filled out forms with the word YES next to the line to indicate which sex.

Silly PCness anyway.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:58 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,954,783 times
There are two genders. Male and female.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:12 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Biology says male or female.
Sorry, you are just wrong. Male and female are the most common genders but in truth there exists a spectrum of less frequent genders including ambiguous genders between the two such as XXYY syndrome and unformed, malformed or even both genitalia present in a single individual. In some cases it is not possible to assign a traditional gender to some individuals. The OP's question has no exact answer. Not even chromosomes can give an exact answer.

And that does not even include gender dysphoria where a person has standard genitalia but self-identifies with a non-standard gender preference (i.e. gayness).

Old 08-21-2017, 02:02 PM

490 posts, read 584,685 times
This poll of course has no merit. Simply its screwed from the get go. You can be either gender and gay or straight.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:26 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mph101 View Post
This poll of course has no merit. Simply its screwed from the get go. You can be either gender and gay or straight.
Actually not. There is a wide degree of human gender diversity spanning everything between male and female, and even both at the same time. Some new born infants cannot even have a gender assigned like for example if they are born with both male and female genitalia or with one set more developed than another. Sometimes male genitalia fail to descend and an initial gender assignment is made as female. Other times the clitoris is over-developed and the infant appears to be male. We can be thankful that in the vast majority of cases the apparent gender and actual gender are in agreement.

And beyond that we could discuss gender sexual preferences, but I don't care to go there.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:02 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I saw this posting on Twitter recently. Pat Condell mocks political correctness everywhere he finds it.

Attachment 188442

What do you think? Is it rational or even possible for human gender to be classified in this manner?
I know a guy who looked into this as part of his graduate research, which he called "Third Gender Studies". First, he found there were 12 genders. Then a few weeks later I ran into him, and asked him how his research was going. "There are 24 genders!", he said. Later still, he said there were 48 genders.

About 6 months to a year after that, a major national news magazine (I don't recall which), came out with an article about gender being on a broad spectrum, not just fixed definitions limited to a basic two or three. There are fine gradations.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:42 AM

531 posts, read 453,457 times
English has three genders: masculine, feminine, and neuter.
Words have genders. People have sex.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:51 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times

males; the ones with a penis
females; the ones with a vagina
neuters; the ones with neither

Everything else is wishful thinking/opinion.

Gay is not a gender, it is a sexual orientation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology