Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:56 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times

Advertisements

I've been suffering with long-term mild depression as far as I can remember. I think there's a term for it... dysthymia? When it's under control, I'm motivated, social and active. These last few years have been tough being far away from family and friends. I spent most of last year unmotivated and laying in bed, cooped up in my room. I just couldn't muster any motivation to get out. I don't feel sad or mopey on a daily basis. I seem fine on the outside but struggle with relationships (platonic and romantic). I've been going to therapy, hired a life coach, went to group, and it helped a little in the beginning, but nonetheless I become unmotivated to go. Most days I don't feel like talking to anybody or telling anybody anything. I've been thinking of getting a small dog. A lot of days I feel like I just want physical affection that doesn't require a lot of energy (talking and socializing). I'm trying hard to get out of this rut but I start to feel bad when I socialize and I end up disappearing. If I get a dog I want to make sure I'll continue to love it and not just love it in the beginning and get unmotivated and feel like giving it up. Has anyone had success with getting a dog for their depression?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 09:35 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,707 times
I've had depression, and I'm a dog lover. So, with that said....

Its possible that a puppy will probably just bring you some short term joy. Their antics will make you laugh, and they will love you unconditionally which is never a bad thing for depression. But eventually the "new" will wear off, and taking care of it will become a chore just like any other.. If it's not potty trained you will have to clean up after it and train it. If it has separation anxiety - which most puppies do, it will destroy your things. When my dog was a puppy she shredded shoes, chewed remotes, pulled hardback books out of my bookcase and shredded them, and got behind my entertainment center and chewed my stereo wires. So if you're not ready for that, then it might compound the depression and cause you to sink deeper 'into the abyss.'

ON THE OTHER HAND...

I was unemployed for a while once after the company I worked for closed down and went through a rough time financially. Depression (which I had had before) set in, and there were many times when I thought the world was coming to an end. But this same dog was there for me 100%. Sometimes she would do something funny which would brighten the day a little, and others she would simply come lay her head in my lap and let me know she cared..

So basically, if you're a "dog person" then I would say absolutely with no hesitation. But if you've never had a dog before then its possible that it could be a shock to you.

On a sidenote though, you said you were seeing a therapist - are you taking anything? None of my business, just curious.. Depression is insidious and I hate the suffering it causes in people. Best of luck though!

Old 08-22-2017, 10:45 AM

I've taken care of my brother's dogs when he moved out of town for over a year. They stayed in his room when I wasn't home though, so I didn't have to take care of the urine and fecal matter as much. They were past the chewing stage so I didn't have to deal with that. I have tried amitripalyne and didn't like it because it made me groggy in the morning.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:51 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I've taken care of my brother's dogs when he moved out of town for over a year. They stayed in his room when I wasn't home though, so I didn't have to take care of the urine and fecal matter as much. They were past the chewing stage so I didn't have to deal with that. I have tried amitripalyne and didn't like it because it made me groggy in the morning.
Are you saying you let the dogs pee and crap in your brother's room?

Please do NOT get a dog. Dogs are a commitment. They aren't to be locked up in a room.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:28 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Thats animal abuse. Please do not get a dog.

A dog needs to be walked and do his business outside. Having a dog locked up, caged or kenneled and sit in his own feces is cruel.

A dog needs to be walked even when you don't feel like it, when it rains and snows. He doesn't care if you are depressed and don't want to get out of bed. They aren't toys that you can play with whenever it fits your mood. They are like children who never grow up - require attention, training, and time.

Please find something else to get ouf of your depression

Old 08-22-2017, 12:45 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Thats animal abuse. Please do not get a dog.

A dog needs to be walked and do his business outside. Having a dog locked up, caged or kenneled and sit in his own feces is cruel.

A dog needs to be walked even when you don't feel like it, when it rains and snows. He doesn't care if you are depressed and don't want to get out of bed. They aren't toys that you can play with whenever it fits your mood. They are like children who never grow up - require attention, training, and time.

Please find something else to get ouf of your depression
This..

I'm sorry OP.. I wish you the best, but you're not ready for a dog.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:40 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Pets help with depression. But if you're not able or willing to devote the time to them, they will only add to it. When not cared for properly, they act out. And rightfully so.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:48 PM

I did take them out when I was home and cleaned up the space... but I have work and can't be home all day... how do you deal with that?

Old 08-22-2017, 01:58 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
I did take them out when I was home and cleaned up the space... but I have work and can't be home all day... how do you deal with that?
you'll get a cat instead.

You shouldn't have to clean up the space ... a dog does his business outside. Not inside.

Have you thought about medication or a very fullfilling new hobby?

Old 08-22-2017, 02:07 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,693,426 times
Pet owners either crate their pets or have a doggie door so the dog can go outside. But it's hard on a dog to be alone all day and when their owner's home it's to eat, clean, relax, and sleep.

I agree, a cat would be a better option. They are fine by themselves. They're less demanding, don't bark, and love to snuggle. Sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology