Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 05:37 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times

Advertisements

I won't post the link but there's an INTJ forum for females in Facebook. Percentage of this Meyers-Briggs category with respect to females is apparently .8%, which is a very tiny category.

In this very active group (4,313 members) there are lots of discussions about giftedness, relationship problems, and difficulties associated with being so superior to normal people in so many ways. It sounds like a gigantic ego trip to me, particularly when these "superior" women make so many stylistic errors in their writing, e. g., "bored of" rather than "bored with," and similar errors.

Are we sure Meyers-Briggs is really legitimate? It was taught in a university course in the education department, and I questioned it then, as well.

Your thoughts? Everyone accepts this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 06:37 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
I’m an INTJ. I spent most of my high tech career being the lead in a tech company. Job titles like Chief Architect. I got paid to be the smartest person in the room. When I was in my 20s, I was pretty arrogant. After a bunch of decades in corporate cooperative environments, I learned to bury the big ego and lead. On some Facebook page, you’re going to get a broad spectrum of maturity levels. Kind of by definition, an INTJ judges everyone. As you mature, you learn to present that in less objectionable ways. I don’t think gender has much to do with it and I think female INTJs fall on that same maturity spectrum. You’re likely to get younger, less mature ones on a Facebook page.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:49 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,423,206 times
I have read that Meyer-Briggs is not a valid test. I don't know. I have taken the test, different versions of it, many times, and I always get INTJ. I am female. And yes, I suppose I am a little "different."

Old 02-09-2018, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,507 times
I'm going to go ahead, not be a coward, and say it. I'm a member of that group. I am gifted. I do have relationship problems, and I'm not "superior" to anyone. You misunderstand. The things you describe go along with INTJs in general, male, female, or in my case, agender. It's a rare personality type in either gender and goes against essentially all gendered expectations for women. Of course we are going to have relationship problems. INTJs of all genders also tend to be hyper-logical. When you are surrounded by people who are less logical than you, it's frustrating. We have gifts a lot of people don't and deficiencies a lot of other people don't as well. It's not an ego trip. We're different and come with a different set of gifts than other humans; we're not superior. My INFJ boyfriend who is definitely not hyper-logical has different gifts than I do, and life's not easy for him either since INFJs are also extemely rare, and INFJ guys are even rarer. He has much higher empathy than most people in general (he's INFJ). That breaks traditional gender roles for guys and is hard on a person in general when you're surrounded by people who aren't as empathetic. Hyper-empathy and hyper-logic are tough gifts to bear sometimes. That's why we have groups to talk about it. You know, without being judged which seems to be your intent since you're choosing to equate Internet grammar with intelligence Mod cut..

Also, Myers-Briggs isn't perfect. No categorical system is. Any time you create categories, there's always people who fall in between, fit into many categories practically-speaking, or sometimes don't fit into any though that last one would be rare with Myers-Briggs. It's a tool to HELP you understand people, not create complete pictures because each individual truly is different.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-09-2018 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: Rude.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepurplefire View Post
I'm going to go ahead, not be a coward, and say it. I'm a member of that group. I am gifted. I do have relationship problems, and I'm not "superior" to anyone. You misunderstand. The things you describe go along with INTJs in general, male, female, or in my case, agender. It's a rare personality type in either gender and goes against essentially all gendered expectations for women. Of course we are going to have relationship problems. INTJs of all genders also tend to be hyper-logical. When you are surrounded by people who are less logical than you, it's frustrating. We have gifts a lot of people don't and deficiencies a lot of other people don't as well. It's not an ego trip. We're different and come with a different set of gifts than other humans; we're not superior. My INFJ boyfriend who is definitely not hyper-logical has different gifts than I do, and life's not easy for him either since INFJs are also extemely rare, and INFJ guys are even rarer. He has much higher empathy than most people in general (he's INFJ). That breaks traditional gender roles for guys and is hard on a person in general when you're surrounded by people who aren't as empathetic. Hyper-empathy and hyper-logic are tough gifts to bear sometimes. That's why we have groups to talk about it. You know, without being judged which seems to be your intent since you're choosing to equate Internet grammar with intelligence [snip].

Also, Myers-Briggs isn't perfect. No categorical system is. Any time you create categories, there's always people who fall in between, fit into many categories practically-speaking, or sometimes don't fit into any though that last one would be rare with Myers-Briggs. It's a tool to HELP you understand people, not create complete pictures because each individual truly is different.
Mod cut.

I do think elegant use of language is a prime indicator of intelligence. Is that really controversial? I think not.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-09-2018 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: Orphaned (reference to comment which has been deleted).

Old 02-09-2018, 07:09 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
I think it's nice that these people have a group that will validate how special they feel.

Some people feel special due to actual accomplishments they have achieved. This FB Group allows these people to feel special because they answered a series of questions in a particular way. I'm sure that's very comforting to them.

Sincerely,
ENTJ

Old 02-09-2018, 07:14 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I have read that Meyer-Briggs is not a valid test. I don't know. I have taken the test, different versions of it, many times, and I always get INTJ. I am female. And yes, I suppose I am a little "different."
I'm a woman and scored INTJ when I was in college 20 years ago and several times thereafter. Now I score INTP. To respond to your comment about being a little different, remember the adage, "I am unique just like everyone else."

Old 02-09-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m an INTJ. I spent most of my high tech career being the lead in a tech company. Job titles like Chief Architect. I got paid to be the smartest person in the room. When I was in my 20s, I was pretty arrogant. After a bunch of decades in corporate cooperative environments, I learned to bury the big ego and lead. On some Facebook page, you’re going to get a broad spectrum of maturity levels. Kind of by definition, an INTJ judges everyone. As you mature, you learn to present that in less objectionable ways. I don’t think gender has much to do with it and I think female INTJs fall on that same maturity spectrum. You’re likely to get younger, less mature ones on a Facebook page.
Are you female? Possible, but usually a "Geoff" is a male.

The overall percentage of INTJ is 2%. INFJ's are 1% but female INTJ's are .8%. So apparently there are some distinctions based on gender.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:28 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
You can find a hundred articles that would claim both sides.

I tested as an INTP, and it seems accurate to me. But I don't make life decisions based on it. The only real problems I can see would be companies that rely on it when hiring.

Just stay away from the FB group if it bothers you.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:35 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Are you female? Possible, but usually a "Geoff" is a male.

The overall percentage of INTJ is 2%. INFJ's are 1% but female INTJ's are .8%. So apparently there are some distinctions based on gender.
The fallacy is believing that just because something is rare makes it "good" or better than something less rare. It may be "special" but that doesn't make it any more preferred than another personality type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology