Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 09:23 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Sounds like maybe you had the wrong therapist or psychologist or counselor.

Not every psychologist is effective with every patient. Sometimes people need to try 2 or 3 different therapists.

Maybe the therapist did not address or dig deep enough on what is troubling you. Or perhaps you didn't reveal enough.
I am in the middle here. To my mind a good therapist needs to be rooted in reality and pragmatism, not in theory. That's a hard mixture to find. But if you find one they are great, at least, for confidential advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 09:27 PM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screami View Post
It didn't do anything for me.
Didn't you already do this thread a few months ago?

Therapy is not a waste of time and money for everyone. It changed the way I think and view the world immensely, and gave me better skills for navigating life.

Of course it didn't "do anything for you". That's not what therapy is. It's YOU doing the work to make change within yourself with the therapist guiding you. If you think someone else is going to fix you, then yeah, therapy is a waste of time and money, but you are the one wasting it.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Therapy: not a magical cure.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:38 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
For me?

It’s not even worth it. Others; swear by it.

If it’s therapeutic for somebody, then why not utilize it. The feeling & sense of being pro-active & any relief it may bring, certainly won’t make anything worse ...

Which is more than you can say about the majority of psychotropic medications.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:08 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,482 times
My same conclusion. The doctor was almost 60 and had gray receding hair, but all I could see was a frat kid stifling his laughter. And getting paid for it. Going to therapy wasn't my idea and it's not something I'll try again. I'll research on my own.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:00 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,151 times
I knew my therapist was playing games with me when I asked for patient records and the therapist gave me the runaround. I walked out the door, up to the secretary, asked for what I wanted, and got what I asked for. I left and never came back.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:36 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Finally, a thread that warns people about how inane therapy can be. Even a duck knows what to call a person practicing it. (See what I did there? ) The only things I encountered in therapy were rhetorical questions and naive platitudes. Like, "How did that make you feel?" and "Just tell them how you feel.", respectively. Even worse, the therapist didn't believe me when I answered the questions! To fight back, I ended up giving the most kooky, outlandish answers I could come up with; then, the therapist believed me, thinking I was being honest.

Speaking of therapy, give Eliza, the chat bot, a shot: http://psych.fullerton.edu/mbirnbaum/psych101/Eliza.htm.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 10-27-2017 at 05:56 AM..

Old 10-27-2017, 05:45 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Finally, a thread that warns people about how inane therapy can be. Even a duck knows what to call a person practicing it. (See what I did there? ) The only things I encountered in therapy were rhetorical questions and naive platitudes. Like, "How did that make you feel?" and "Just tell them how you feel.", respectively. Even worse, the therapist didn't believe me when I answered the questions! To fight back, I ended up giving the most kooky, outlandish answers I could come up with; then, the therapist believed me, thinking I was being honest.
I guess by the same analogy if you go to the doctor for the flu and don't get cured, all doctors are a waste of time?

LOL or better yet if you pick up a prescription and the medicine doesn't work, hey then we must warn all people about how inane pharmacies can be.

It's not magic.

just like every other profession, there are good ones and bad ones. I guess if your kids get a bad teacher you let them drop out of school.
there are bad doctors, bad lawyers, bad accountants, bad teachers......

Anyone notice how on c-d if some thing doesn't work it's automatically some one else's fault and couldn't possibly be the posters???

Old 10-27-2017, 05:49 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Have you ever been to therapy?

Old 10-27-2017, 05:53 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I guess by the same analogy if you go to the doctor for the flu and don't get cured, all doctors are a waste of time?

LOL or better yet if you pick up a prescription and the medicine doesn't work, hey then we must warn all people about how inane pharmacies can be.
By that analogy, let's say you go to a doctor and/or pharmacist, to get your flu treated. Nothing works; you still have the symptoms. The doctor turns around and blames you for not being honest with about your symptoms not going away . Or worse, he/she tells you "No, you never had a stuffy nose." All because they have a personal agenda against stuffy noses, or their textbook says that noses don't get stuffy.

The point is: therapy doesn't have concrete benchmarks to measure by, that regular medicine does. Due to the nature of the human mind, every practitioner can force their agenda on the client, and can CYA far too easily. Which makes it extremely easy to simply blame the client, rather than admit that a duck trying to talk was right about you.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 10-27-2017 at 06:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology