Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 02:47 PM

1,047 posts, read 727,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
Was half full but now half empty.

Nothing is sacred anymore and the violation of someone's personal borders is the new norm today.
So sorry. I do agree people have boundary issues. I hope you will feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 03:19 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I call myself a cynical Pollyanna. I really believe things will work out well, but I'm not surprised when they don't.

Years ago, I did an online test for optimist/pessimist. I was 52% optimist, 48% pessimist.
The people I carpooled with thought I was more pessimistic than than, and the people I worked with thought I was more optimistic.
I guess we present ourselves differently in various situations.

The glass contains approximately 4 ounces of fluid.
Pretty much what I said. I just see it as preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I call myself a cynical Pollyanna. I really believe things will work out well, but I'm not surprised when they don't.

Years ago, I did an online test for optimist/pessimist. I was 52% optimist, 48% pessimist.
The people I carpooled with thought I was more pessimistic than than, and the people I worked with thought I was more optimistic.
I guess we present ourselves differently in various situations.

The glass contains approximately 4 ounces of fluid.
Pretty much what I said. I just see it as preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.
If it's half empty you are just ready to fill it back up again.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:46 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,166,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If it's half empty you are just ready to fill it back up again.
That is an interesting way of looking at this topic. You just gave me an idea so I hope this is what you meant. When we ask if we are half-empty or half-full, we are assuming the level cannot change. That implies a static outlook in life, either everything is good enough or everything sucks, but it doesn't allow for improvement. So maybe a better question is, where is my level and how can I fill it?

Old 11-08-2017, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
That is an interesting way of looking at this topic. You just gave me an idea so I hope this is what you meant. When we ask if we are half-empty or half-full, we are assuming the level cannot change. That implies a static outlook in life, either everything is good enough or everything sucks, but it doesn't allow for improvement. So maybe a better question is, where is my level and how can I fill it?
The platitudes are "count your blessings"..."Look at the bright side", etc.
If the level is low,how you got that way and how one achieves a change is certainly easier said than done and a very individual thing.
Being aware of it and wanting an improvement is a necessary first step.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:59 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
This sums it up well for me.

In general I am optimistic, because being otherwise (I have tendencies) is unhealthy and will make you unhappy, and that's no good.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-09-2017, 03:13 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Saw a t-shirt the other day that seemed to have the answer:

"All those who think the glass is half empty or half full have missed the point; the glass is refillable."

Old 11-09-2017, 03:14 PM

691 posts, read 420,341 times
half empty if being emptied and half full if being filled.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:57 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
^^this^^
If you are about to sit down to a diner made mostly of 2 buck chuck, if last month you were eating bologna you will view the glass as half full, if last month you were eating steak you will view the the glass as half empty.

Many people in my age group(gen X) entered adult life during a great time, the best economy in US history(across the board), thanks to grunge fashion you could look homeless and still have a hot girlfriend/boyfriend(depending on what floated your boat) and being a starving artist, poetic soul, dark and brooding was viewed as sexy, jobs were so easy to find even the laziest people I knew could keep a regular paycheck(even if they did a lot of job hoping to get it). or even non lazy people did not have to suffer at a job they did not like because there was always someplace else hiring. Basically many in my generation were doing better at 25 than our parents were at 35.
Many of us noticed a sharp change by our 30's - 40's where the job market went to crap, women became materialistic and life in general became more difficult than it had been just the decade before.
Housing and fuel costs skyrocketed, the banks got greedy.
And we because the first gen to not do better than our parents(despite the huge head start).

So for many in my age group view the glass as half empty because we had a full glass in the 90's - early 2000's.
I'm thinking OVERALL in our lives. I'm 79 and ate bologna growing up and in my older years have bought myself a tenderloin for $12 or so for about 4-5 oz steak. I'm been super healthy all my life and now deal with arthritis and use a walker....but all in all, I still consider my Life Glass Half Full.

I've driven and owned a car for 60 some yrs and just sold my last auto recently and my glass is still half full.

Not fleeing a war torn country for freedom.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:33 AM

652 posts, read 874,618 times
Directly from the internet.
A sieve is strainer of some kind which is meant to separate out solids from liquid. Leaking like a sieve means that lots of fluid is getting through whatever barrier is meant to be keep fluid in/out. Sieve's come in all sizes to strain differing size particles out from their fluids.

With that said I view my glass as completely full but leaking like a sieve. In a world where a person cannot be themselves without deferring to another or having to qualify how they feel about themselves or life on this earth. In other words there is no right or wrong answer. Analysis will basically make false determinations which always entail the fundamental attribution error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology