Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 01:09 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times

Advertisements

So many go thru life and see the glass as half empty vs half full.

Do you make lemonade out of the lemons throw your way?

I see some really negative usernames around here and those words sink in so much.

Why reinforce the negative and work on reinforcing the positive.

Stop hating, if you strongly don't like something, say I have a strong dislike etc.

And if something or someone upsets you, don't react, sleep on it and so often the morning brings a "forget it" thinking. Does for me. Often better to let it go.

More psychology to chew on.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-05-2017 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 08:50 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,165,130 times
I am definitely a half full kind of person. However, I know how difficult it is to have this point-of-view. It has to do with being able to separate problem from a cause/effect situation. If there is no solution, which can also include solutions that are not practical or effective, then it is not a problem. It is simply cause and effect. I don't know too many half-empty people, but those I do, often live life in this fashion. Their lives are often filled with problems that they have no working solution for. There is not much we can do for them other than be good listeners or wait for them to ask for help by being very specific about what they need.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:00 PM

I guess one can say too: Is our Life Half Empty, or Half FULL? So many just don't stop to see/think how much we have and look at only what we don't have. I live with a body full of arthritic pain, but have far more Positives than Negatives in my Life.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:55 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
It depends. If I'm filling up a glass, when I reach the halfway mark the glass is half full. As I drink it down, when I reach the halfway mark, the glass is half empty. It really depends on the starting point.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:41 AM

4,061 posts, read 2,138,868 times
I do best not analyzing whether my glass is half full or empty. I try to just be grateful to have a glass!

Old 11-06-2017, 09:02 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
I do not worry about how full it is. I just grab it and drink whatever is there.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:27 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,322,562 times
I'm going through some stuff personally right now that has me a bit down. Finances were doing well and have taken a step back, some other things on the horizon before the first of the year. It's made me reevaluate my behavior and what I do a bit. It's not the end of the world but it will inconvenience me a bit.

Still, the stuff I've gone through is relatively minor compared to a lot of folks, and most of it is self-induced these days. I've been blessed/fortunate with good health, good family, intelligence, and have not the truly serious life mistakes that have sunk a lot of folks I know.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:38 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times
Overdesigned, according to the engineer.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm going through some stuff personally right now that has me a bit down. Finances were doing well and have taken a step back, some other things on the horizon before the first of the year. It's made me reevaluate my behavior and what I do a bit. It's not the end of the world but it will inconvenience me a bit.

Still, the stuff I've gone through is relatively minor compared to a lot of folks, and most of it is self-induced these days. I've been blessed/fortunate with good health, good family, intelligence, and have not the truly serious life mistakes that have sunk a lot of folks I know.
That's life -- ups and downs, but if one can come up with MORE ups, then they are doing good and the glass of life is half full.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:15 AM

1,047 posts, read 726,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
So many go thru life and see the glass as half empty vs half full.

Do you make lemonade out of the lemons throw your way?

I see some really negative usernames around here and those words sink in so much.

Why reinforce the negative and work on reinforcing the positive.

Stop hating, if you strongly don't like something, say I have a strong dislike etc.

And if something or someone upsets you, don't react, sleep on it and so often the morning brings a "forget it" thinking. Does for me. Often better to let it go.

More psychology to chew on.

I go back and forth depending on moods.
I try to consistently be half full for friends but sometimes, for me, I can be half empty.
Now, when I lived right on the beach in the area it says you live in? I was always half full. Seeing the ocean daily helps the Spirit a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology