Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 10:39 AM

93 posts, read 95,924 times

Advertisements

It depends on what's IN the glass. If it's wine - it's half empty. If it's that awful stuff you drink before medical procedures, it's still half full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 10:44 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
I go back and forth depending on moods.
I try to consistently be half full for friends but sometimes, for me, I can be half empty.
Now, when I lived right on the beach in the area it says you live in? I was always half full. Seeing the ocean daily helps the Spirit a lot.
I go back and forth over my long life and I come up with more positives than negatives. And yes I live for the last 50 yrs near the ocean and that is good and I get good negative ions, but regardless it's what I've done and how I've come out of tough situations etc. Tough situations are lessons and we hopefully are learning. I don't find the smart quirky comments amusing...but so many don't have much to offer otherwise.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:38 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,750 times
I absolutely am a glass half empty person and I always have been and I don't see that it is a bad thing at all.
When I look at something, say going somewhere, I always think of and prepare for anything the could go wrong.
Same with my kids I always pointed out any down sides to things they want to or were doing.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:59 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Half full! Otherwise I would not still be here.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:04 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
That's life -- ups and downs, but if one can come up with MORE ups, then they are doing good and the glass of life is half full.
I try to keep some perspective. Four years ago, I bought a new car, then was fired out of the blue for no reason from a low paying contract job, then my best friend killed himself a few weeks later. I had no insurance for virtually all of 2013 and barely made more than $12/hr at my best that year. I was nearly suicidal myself by that year's end. While things may not be great for the very near future, I'm nowhere near the bottom of the pit I was in four years ago.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:05 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
Every time I look at the glass it breaks.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I absolutely am a glass half empty person and I always have been and I don't see that it is a bad thing at all.
When I look at something, say going somewhere, I always think of and prepare for anything the could go wrong.
Same with my kids I always pointed out any down sides to things they want to or were doing.
I don't think I've ever been like that...I've worried probably every time I got on an airplane..but that is a big worry for many.

Even my daughter who is now 53, doesn't want to hear the negatives...we've been out and looking for a parking space and I would say, we're not going to find one, and she always thinks the opposite and there it is the parking space right in front of the place.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Every time I look at the glass it breaks.
Really, you have that much power?

Old 11-06-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I try to keep some perspective. Four years ago, I bought a new car, then was fired out of the blue for no reason from a low paying contract job, then my best friend killed himself a few weeks later. I had no insurance for virtually all of 2013 and barely made more than $12/hr at my best that year. I was nearly suicidal myself by that year's end. While things may not be great for the very near future, I'm nowhere near the bottom of the pit I was in four years ago.
Yeah, it can be tough out there at times in our lives. After I retired at 62, forced by company, I drove only used cars, come to think of it I bought used cars for many years...hardly ever had a new car. Had a sweet 68 mustang new and then a company car along the way and bought good used cars as salary didn't climb over my later years of life. Cars don't impress me, as long as it takes me from where I had to go. Just sold my 1995 Corolla as my knee is in not great condition and can get to where I need to do somehow. Order food for delivery and friends shop for me.

I'm practical in many areas but buy good foods.

One of Will Rogers sayings is: If It's Not One Damn Thing, It's Another.

My #1 priority is to keep healthy.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:36 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,279 times
I'm a glass-half-empty person. I always imagine what can go wrong, so I'd rather do more to prevent problems than to deal with problems.

My parents are the same way and they're more paranoid than I am. My dad told me never to stack a canned food on top of another one because if the top one falls, it'll crack the kitchen counter. I'm not even talking about stacking 5, 10, 15 cans on top of each other and they'll topple. It's just 1 can on top of the one already touching the counter.

I also tend to remember all the bad things in my life because the emotions are stronger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology