Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 03:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post

Echoing what another poster said on this thread, I have thought about the fact that once we have a kid, our friends' and siblings' kids will be too old to play with him or her.
Your kids will have peers to play with no matter what. My kids (age 2 and five months) have no cousins at all on one side, and seven between the ages of 2-10 on the other, but they all lI've 600+ miles away. We don't have many friends with kids. My kids' peers are from the activities we involve them in, and will ultimately be from the activities they involve themselves in.

I grew up with supposed "built-in" friends, kids of my parents' friends who were around my age. In very few of these instances were these other kids people I'D actually have chosen to be friends with, or they I. Being the same age as somebody doesn't = automatic friendship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 07:49 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
She said she'll be ready in the next year or so. That's not long at all! Just let her know you're ready when she is.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:28 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
She said she'll be ready in the next year or so. That's not long at all! Just let her know you're ready when she is.
The OP has posted thread after thread where he has been critical or at least questioning of his wife. This leads me to think he's not committed to the marriage at the deepest levels. While that may not be long, I could see them messing around for a few more years until it's a real problem.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:24 AM

242 posts, read 262,971 times
It always puzzles me why people compare themselves to others ... . I couldn't give two damns what my friends are doing and how many kids they are having...I have my life and they have theirs!
I live for myself. If society, my social circle, my family looks down on me, it is their problem not mine! But again I have always been a rebel since I was a kid...soooo .

Old 11-18-2017, 07:35 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,322,524 times
I've always been one to not rock the boat and fill others' expectations (real or imagined), so I admire that type of rebel spirit, hellomoon. Good for you!!!!

Old 11-18-2017, 08:40 AM

4,061 posts, read 2,138,868 times
If you feel like you aren't keeping up and are falling behind because you don't have kids, what about if/when you do have kids and you or the kids can't keep up with what others are doing? There has been so much written about the pressure of women to be perfect moms and how guilty they feel just for biological "failings" like not being able to give birth naturally or breast feed. And it goes on and on. You can feel like you are doing as much as humanly possible for your kid(s), but then there will always be the other parent(s) who chauffeur their kids around even more, sell more Girl Scout cookies, contribute more time to the PTA. Won't you feel like you are falling behind if your child(ren) don't "keep up" with other kids in terms of grades, friends, sports, etc.? There's no guarantee that they will.

And I agree with TabulaRosa---kids can be just fine without being furnished ready-made siblings and "friends" via the kids of your friends and relatives. Just because parents are friends with each other doesn't mean their kids will automatically befriend each other.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:14 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
It is your world, your decisions and the world that you have to live in with those decisions that you have made.

Do not let others make them for you for they will not be in your shoes to have to answer for them.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:34 AM

317 posts, read 652,522 times
Quote:
You're absolutely right. It's not easy, though.

My wife and I have been together for almost 13 years (married for nearly 4 of those). Many of the couples we know who have had children haven't been together even half that long. Makes me feel like we're lagging to some degree.

Let her go rather than forcing her to have children she may not want. You're already blaming her, you want her to produce so you look good. Let her go if you're not willing to even give her the time she needs to get her blood pressure down first without giving her a hard time about hurrying to make babies. You don't love her if you would put her life on the line that way in order to keep up with the Jonses. You need to let her go.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:31 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
It always puzzles me why people compare themselves to others ... . I couldn't give two damns what my friends are doing and how many kids they are having...I have my life and they have theirs!
I live for myself. If society, my social circle, my family looks down on me, it is their problem not mine! But again I have always been a rebel since I was a kid...soooo .
I think it has a lot to do with whether or not you have a really solid vision on what you want for your own life, your own idea of when, and when you're pretty confident in knowing yourself and in your choices.

Some people are more ambivalent, by nature, and since they haven't formed a super solid idea of their wants and goals, they take in more input from the world around them, and are more apt to adopt what they see others doing. Others have pretty firm idea of what they want from early on, and don't waver from it based on what they see going on with others.

I don't even think it takes being a rebel. Just very confident in the path you are choosing.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:43 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,107,305 times
Quote:
My wife and I are both 32. In the last two or three years, most of our married friends and acquaintances (all of whom are around our age) have had kids.

It's left me feeling as if we're falling a little behind.
Greetings from your polar opposite. My casual perspective:

Quote:
I know that people have their own lives and I shouldn't care about what others are doing. It's just hard when you get invited to family get-togethers where you're the only child-free couple and are asked if children are on the horizon.
It's harder to be invited to family get-togethers yet never get to actually interact with your family because:

Your in a bedroom breastfeeding. Changing diapers. Doing the "walk-the-babywalk-the-babywalk-the-baby". Chasing toddlers through an un-baby-proofed house with 10 million knick-knacks, exercise equipment, home theatres, huge potted plant/trees, aquariums, 4 flights of stairs, 3 dogs, 2 litter boxes ... out the door into the unfenced backyard with a deck with 4 flights of stairs, ponds, waterfalls, hot-tubs ...Time to Eat!:

Fix their plates. Cut the meat. Pour their drinks; 10 one-half filled cups of lemonade per every bite taken (so you can stop 10 times on drive home for potty). No peas touching the mashed potatoes. No gravy ever. No yams ever. No stuffing ever. In fact; just skip the entire meal altogether & hand them a tub of Cool-Whip. The obligatory dumped plate. Obligatory "fed-it-to-the-dog", Obligatory spilled drink. Obligatory puking child. Obligatory puking dog.

Instead of being asked if "Children are on the horizon"? Get asked about 20 times if "Hey; have you figured out what causes that (pointing to baby bump) yet? Ha, ha, ha ...!" Endure comments about "Is there something in the water? & Watermelon seeds.

Script a response implicating Immaculate Conception & let it go.

Quote:
OP here.

I know this "Keeping up with the Joneses" mentality is idiotic.

I often fret when I see people try to buy the most expensive cars and gadgets in an effort to possess what their neighbors and peers have.

Yet this case is really no different.
Well; except for:

No Consumer Reports. Prime. Optional features or choices. Next-day delivery. No exchanges, returns, refunds or warranty. No satisfaction guarantee. No customer service, technical support, user manuals, troubleshooting websites ... No upgrades.

Quote:
In the last two years, all four of these women have had children. Thus, this time around, we're not joining them as they move on to the next phase. That sense of solidarity isn't there.
Solidarity? More like Frienemy Snark.

Nothing brings out a competitive streak like first/second-time parents with babies close in age. Everything turns into a race:

Sleeping through the night, first smile, first tooth, crawling, walking, talking. Who has the best Pediatrician, Nanny, Pre-School, blah, blah blah.

By the time you have as many kids as I have? You just shrug & say "I might worry if he's still sucking his thumb during Prom ..."

Quote:
Echoing what another poster said on this thread, I have thought about the fact that once we have a kid, our friends' and siblings' kids will be too old to play with him or her.
Babysitters!

Quote:
And sometimes I feel selfish when I think that these friends of ours are busy putting their child's needs before theirs while my wife and I are just focused on each other (e.g., traveling, sleeping in late, etc.)

I don't know if these feelings make no sense.
Not really. You are 32 with no kids. It's kind of like being worried about being too rich or too thin.

(I had 8 by the time I was 28. And 11 by the time I was 36. And no; there is nothing "in the water", it's perfectly safe.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology