Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 04:43 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I think I will always consider Texas home even if i do move to Arizona or New Mexico.
Husband and I are native Texans
Lived for about 4 yrs in Shreveport and made some friends we still are in contact with but it never felt like home and we knew we would be moving at some point
We moved back to DFW area after that although it was new to us--we grew up and went to college in central TX south of Austin and east of San Antonio

We bought home 5 yrs ago in FL as second home because our daughter had married and moved to Sarasota area where her husband was living --he is from MS and never would go back there---
We don't consider FL home -- really have no friends outside our daughter's family but partly that is because we are just not outgoing people---don't have large group of friends in TX

We might move to FL full time in future but I don't think we would ever consider it home in the same sense we do Texas--

I mean home is really where my husband is--so I could live anyplace--but some maybe not as happily as others....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 04:47 PM

6,429 posts, read 4,920,252 times
Moving from cold, high tax NY to Florida, it took about 1 day.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:15 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,945,961 times
I've found it takes me a couple of years to become comfortable with a new place and appreciate its unique charms, and five years to get to the point where I felt I was settled in, had a circle of local friends, and considered the place my home. But it really depends on what you mean by "home".

I've lived in Virginia (twice), Illinois (twice), Iowa, Connecticut, and North Carolina. Since I was born in Virginia, I have a special fondness for it as a former home. There's no place I've lived that I would call a place I was glad to leave and have no intention to go back again. I've been blessed to live in some truly wonderful places in five different states - and I'm hoping to move back to one of the Carolinas by next fall.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:09 PM

447 posts, read 488,286 times
Looking for my "home" until today. For me, home is where my husband and kids are. Lived in many places, never called any "my home", my birth country included. If I would have no husband and children I would be nomad.:-)

Old 01-09-2018, 06:15 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
I'm from South Carolina but Florida is my home.

My husband and I were talking about this the other day. After six years, Florida feels like home.

Whomever said you need to get locally involved is correct.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:17 PM

318 posts, read 467,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I still think about Indiana everyday. I read the local paper online, look at real estate, etc. I think I'm having a hard time bc I never planned to remain here but circumstances made a different reality.
I do have a good job here, the family member I cared about is dead. I do have a lot of friends there but I'm at the age where everyone is busy so it's not worth moving back for that.
I don't know how to get my brain to accept that I live in New York, quit watching the happenings in Indiana, quit thinking about how it is there, etc
I so understand that. I have experienced similar things... the way to "cure yourself" is to go back for a nice long visit, like maybe a week.

You will see that some things are the same and some are not. Your friends are busy busy busy with their own lives, and they have changed and grown. Or not... and that can be a real downer. It won't be the same in Indiana because time has passed and life is kinda like that, always changing.

The happy warm memories - yes you will still have them, but you can't relive them in the same place with the same people. Maybe the restaurant or bar you loved is closed now... street names changed, buildings are not the same etc. Might help you to go back and SEE it and bring you a little further toward closure.

Where I currently live - it took me about 6 weeks and it felt like home. Only because we had come here to FL a gazillion times house hunting, and I knew the area. I am happy to be in a new place where they are no bad and no sad memories, like the memories from Virginia. A fresh start and a chance to focus on positive things!

Old 01-09-2018, 11:22 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
When we moved to SC, it never felt like home. We lived there 2 1/2 looooooooong, miserable years. A new job opportunity came up out of the blue and we relocated back to NY. We moved to a different area than we're from. We're in Western NY now and it's felt like home since the week we arrived! It feels more and more right like this is where we're supposed to be every week. Neither one of us plans on relocating ever again.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:26 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan west View Post
Thats because New York sucks. A place should feel like home in 2 years!! If not you are in the wrong place.
Well, there are 20 million people who live here in NY so apparently everyone doesn't agree with you.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:56 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Not sure if this belongs here or moving forum.

I've been living in NY for 5 years but it still doesn't feel like home.
It took me a long time to like TX. Years. In fact, I never really connected culturally (I'm cajun), although I learned to love the new state over time. It wasn't until I moved back to my home state that I realized how much I liked it in TX and hope to move back. I would never consider myself a Texan, but that doesn't mean I don't feel comfortable there and like it there.

I don't think you should expect for it to ever feel like the home state you left. And that's okay. NY seems like a great state. If I could go back in time, I'd probably move there as a young person.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:39 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
I lived in Highland, just a few blocks from Munster; my family still does. I had a real good childhood friend from Munster. Her house was so close by--a continuation of the housing development where we lived, so one part of it was Highland the other was Munster--we'd ride our bikes to each other's houses.
The Meadows?
I actually went to OLG elementary school and Andrean HS. My mom and her husband were Highland residents but I stayed with my grandma in Munster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology