Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 08:16 PM

89 posts, read 66,648 times

Advertisements

I'm an introvert nearly all of the time. I have moments(rarely) where I want to be around people though even then it can drain my energy quickly. There are plenty of extroverts with anxiety that as a result think they are introverts though. Then there are those like me whom are extremely introverted and not shy at all whom mostly prefer privacy and their own space and are essentially 'loners.'

My hobbies are atypical ones associated with introverted personality traits...

Astronomy, Classical Music, Plot Based RPGs like Final Fantasy and Chrono series, Geology, Anthropology, Historical Arms and Armor, Coin Collecting, Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting... well maybe some of these aren't considered 'introverted' hobbies haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 08:48 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
I’m definitely an introvert and always have been. I do not like large groups of people, and I do not like loud noises. I can mingle outside doing yard work or tending to my garden right by myself all day long and be perfectly happy.

I also have what’s called inattentive ADD, which has always made me somewhat of a daydreamer, so I’m sure that exacerbates my introverted behavior.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:15 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I’m definitely an introvert and always have been. I do not like large groups of people, and I do not like loud noises. I can mingle outside doing yard work or tending to my garden right by myself all day long and be perfectly happy.

I also have what’s called inattentive ADD, which has always made me somewhat of a daydreamer, so I’m sure that exacerbates my introverted behavior.
Well, as I mentioned initially, I never thought of myself as an introvert, I guess mainly because I feel comfortable in social situations. I like people and like talking to them. But like you, I don't like crowds or loud noises. Even small venue jazz concerts seem too loud to me, and make me uncomfortable.

Also I don't easily tolerate being interrupted regularly by people who make demands on my time. I want to be left alone to work, for the most part. The notion that housework (for example) is "my job" pretty much infuriates me, and more than one relationship has failed because the person wanted to be in my pockets all the time. People, even pets, can get on my nerves if they demand too much of my time.

I thought all of this was a function of having been an only child until I was 12 but perhaps it is more deep-seated than that.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
I'm energized by social contact, but prefer small groups or 1:1 for socialization, and rarely do I get much out of being in a huge crowd other than irritation. I'm very talkative, but again, one one, small groups. I do not like "working a room." I am not very likely to be the one to initiate conversation, but enthusiastically enter in once engaged, typically.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:06 AM

420 posts, read 451,856 times
AMBIVERT:

a person whose personality has a balance of extrovert and introvert features.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:16 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm energized by social contact, but prefer small groups or 1:1 for socialization, and rarely do I get much out of being in a huge crowd other than irritation. I'm very talkative, but again, one one, small groups. I do not like "working a room." I am not very likely to be the one to initiate conversation, but enthusiastically enter in once engaged, typically.
I'm very much like this. I have to force myself to do "small talk" and aren't very good at it. But if you want to go sit in a corner one on one and go a mile deep, I'm happy to do that.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:23 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,425,302 times
I like social contact but in short doses of maybe up to 3 hours. After that I am screaming to re-charge my energy and I basically blank out with not much to say. I burn out really fast.

As I get older (48) I find it harder to find people that I can relate to. I also find that time is money. A lot of people tend to focus on friending people that can do something for them "network". Those types of people annoy me big time. Catering to different personalities is more work than working a customer service job. People are REALLY complicated

Sometimes I feel that I am better off left alone. I accomplish so much more without having to focus on someone else.

I'll tell you one thing though....the world "life" is all about people. The skill of socializing will get you very far if you can get good at it. I've got family members who feed off of it like vitamin tablets. They get a lot back in return but if your return isn't worth the energy you put into it, it gets old fast.

A few good people in my corner is more comforting to me than trying to be part of a huge crowd.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:41 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,447,520 times
Well, its fluid. A lot of times people, particularly introverts, want the label so they do not have to explain themselves. People can be antisocial and pretty much anything else. And a lot of the social people I've known over the years, are not necessarily extroverted.

Like I'm quiet and everything but not necessarily anti-social and I do not exhibit any of the "social phobia" behaviors that introverts do. People keep telling me online I am not an introvert. And they're probably right. When I did exhibit those phobias, that was depression, not introversion, causing those symptoms. Social anxiety was the norm being depressed as a teenager.

I am one of those people that am not impressed by socialization for the sake of it. A bit here and there is okay but all day long, just to hear yourself, is annoying. People often just assume that I am shy but that is not necessarily the case.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:33 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

This hits it exactly. I am content to be alone for awhile, then I like to go out and dig up somebody to talk to, but not a large group. Another couple, or two, is about my comfort limit. Large crowds ARE irritation. Whereas DH can be alone 24/7---that's his preference. So, we do our own thing and are OK with that.

"Where's Mr. S&S?" they ask. I shrug, "You know, the usual." They laugh.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:40 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,299,911 times
Both.

But like others, I abhor working a room, and will avoid situations /parties where I'm expected to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology