Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 09:57 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,059,272 times

Advertisements

Curious what others have experienced...

Have you been at some group social event with someone who doesn't seem to pick up on natural cues that the "night is over?"

Cues like conversations dying, people yawning, attention drifting, venue emptying out. This person will kind of keep talking and exhibiting sort of a general resistance to leaving but not in any specific way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 10:17 AM

8,274 posts, read 8,664,411 times
Quit inviting them. I know people like that and they never seem to change.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:26 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,624 times
Well I think sometimes people catch on to the cues but don't care.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Quit inviting them. I know people like that and they never seem to change.
Many times I'm not the host.

Is it FOMO (fear of missing out)?
Do they enjoy things so much they lose track of the moment?
Slow processing?

Old 03-16-2018, 10:35 AM

317 posts, read 225,169 times
I entertain in my home frequently. People will stay for breakfast if you let them. If I want everyone out by a certain time I start winding things down 45 minutes beforehand. Tidying up, turning down the music, that sort of thing.

If you're out with someone that doesn't take hints very well then a direct "its time to go home" will usually do it.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:39 AM

11,114 posts, read 7,174,871 times
Maybe a sign of the times. If folks don't have some piece of electronics in their face, they lose attention and motivation.

Could also be poor listening and "presence" skills. Some only really listen to and pay attention to themselves, despite their best efforts to seem engaged.

Maybe some people are on the boring side?

Maybe people are especially tired on a Friday night, after the rat race, work week, and petty work/life battles?

Maybe there needs to be more stimuli? Music / more music / more lively music, more mood and varying conversation and topics? Meet in different areas / change it up? Serve spicy foods, coffee, tea, Monster drinks? (LOL at that last one)

Old 03-16-2018, 12:23 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,139,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miso Blu View Post
If you're out with someone that doesn't take hints very well then a direct "its time to go home" will usually do it.
This.

Just tell them it's been a great time and the host/hostess want to wind it up and go to bed. Bye bye!

... Oh, you're still here? (No invite next time.)

Old 03-16-2018, 12:49 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
I tend to be an early nighter these days, but when I host, I want my guests to stay generally. My house sitter, who is a good friend, ended up staying an extra 24 hours at my house after I got back from a trip. I was working in my office and she was on my couch watching movies and I'd come up on my breaks to chat and have a cup of tea with her.

But when my parties in my hometown went late, the dogs would stick around in the thick of it, hoping for food and scritches. They would exhaust themselves eventually, and when they retreated to their shared crate, whoever was left would generally take that as the cue to head home. We used to joke all the time that the party wasn't over until the dogs said it was.

But really if these people are such good friends that they feel comfortable wearing out their welcome, you should feel comfortable saying "Guys, I gotta clean up and go to bed. Thanks for coming over - it was great to see you! How about we go out for lunch next weekend?" or something like that.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:55 PM

Have you seen this in a non-home setting? Like you're with a group of friends out at, say a restaurant or bar and it's like everyone is standing around after last call or after the check is long gone and there's not really specific conversation going on, and there's nothing that's being waited for, just sort of an inability to take the step of saying goodbye and leaving.

It's like I want to scream, "OK, we're done here!" or else get someone to take the lead and decide what we're doing next. I often take the lead just to break the group out of the malaise.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:00 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miso Blu View Post
I entertain in my home frequently. People will stay for breakfast if you let them. If I want everyone out by a certain time I start winding things down 45 minutes beforehand. Tidying up, turning down the music, that sort of thing.

Yes...some really don't notice hints...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology