Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 07:08 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,603,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Have you seen this in a non-home setting? Like you're with a group of friends out at, say a restaurant or bar and it's like everyone is standing around after last call or after the check is long gone and there's not really specific conversation going on, and there's nothing that's being waited for, just sort of an inability to take the step of saying goodbye and leaving.

It's like I want to scream, "OK, we're done here!" or else get someone to take the lead and decide what we're doing next. I often take the lead just to break the group out of the malaise.
When I want to leave, I leave. What others do is their business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 11:36 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,160,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Like the old bar closing saying: You don't have to go home but you can't stay here.
I love it!

Old 03-16-2018, 11:40 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,160,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Oh lordy yes! Once, it was a guy I was dating, but trying to break up with. He lived 2 hours away, and was pushing to want to see me at Christmas time, but I didn't want to see him. I told him it would be difficult, because I had relatives over, plus I had to take my kids to their dad. I had told him IF I got home early enough, I'd call him, and he could make the trip. Well, I didn't get home until 10:30pm (on purpose), and there the dim dam he was.
"Trying to break up with him..." ???

How about, "I'm sick of seeing your face and why the h*** don't you get out of my life?"

Sassy I like the blues but you have to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. In this case you should have just told him you had no interest in any relationship.

Sometimes it's kinder to just end it quickly rather than drag out the pain.

If I was your boyfriend I'd rather just have honesty, short and sweet. "Buzz off. I'm not interested. I'd rather have no boyfriend than you as my boyfriend."

That would free him up to go try with somebody else.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:46 PM

2,081 posts, read 1,076,573 times
Quote:
Curious what others have experienced...

Have you been at some group social event with someone who doesn't seem to pick up on natural cues that the "night is over?"

Cues like conversations dying, people yawning, attention drifting, venue emptying out. This person will kind of keep talking and exhibiting sort of a general resistance to leaving but not in any specific way.
"Get up, get dressed, get out."

Old 03-16-2018, 11:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,570,852 times
I learned to take my own transportation. I can't stand going to pick someone up and they're not ready, or then they want to just make a quick stop somewhere, or then they don't want to leave when you want to leave, etc.

Anyway, if you're out with a group, you just say, "Wow, it was a great time tonight. I'm gonna head out. See you later."

I was one of those people who didn't want a party to end one time, and the hostess said to me, "We're kicking you out now so we can have sex." LOL. It worked.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:39 AM

35,248 posts, read 17,133,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
"Trying to break up with him..." ???

How about, "I'm sick of seeing your face and why the h*** don't you get out of my life?"

Sassy I like the blues but you have to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. In this case you should have just told him you had no interest in any relationship.

Sometimes it's kinder to just end it quickly rather than drag out the pain.

If I was your boyfriend I'd rather just have honesty, short and sweet. "Buzz off. I'm not interested. I'd rather have no boyfriend than you as my boyfriend."

That would free him up to go try with somebody else.
Sounds like "50 ways to Leave Your Lover."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABXtWqmArUU

Old 03-17-2018, 06:08 AM

8,280 posts, read 8,681,604 times
Quote:
Many times I'm not the host.

Is it FOMO (fear of missing out)?
Do they enjoy things so much they lose track of the moment?
Slow processing?
If you aren't the host why would you care. Leave when you want.

If in a public place it isn't any of your business how long another person stays. Some will be there for dinner and leave and some will move to the bar until closing time ending up with a completely different group than the one they started the evening with.

Different people have different ideas of what a party is. Some think it a few drinks and on your way. Others think it is an all nighter. Invite people accordingly. It doesn't take long to figure out who's who.

In all groups you will have people that don't pick up on social cues. Some don't know when to leave. Some don't know when to shut up. Some don't know how to dress.

FOMO usually disappears with age. Losing track of the moment, not that often. Slow processing? Probably in most cases when it is in another persons home.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:22 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,702,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
When I want to leave, I leave. What others do is their business.
Yeah, I am a nondrinker. I always joke that I am Cinderella and have to be home by midnight and people think it is pretty funny. It is rare that I stay until the very end!

Old 03-17-2018, 11:05 AM

3,265 posts, read 5,013,050 times
My dad used to say to guests who were overstaying their welcome, "I'm going to go to bed now so you folks can leave!"

Old 03-17-2018, 02:26 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,278,373 times
i usually put on my old hunting home movies...nothing clears a room faster than pulling guts out of a deer....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology