Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 05:27 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Kara, I don't quite get you yet we are friends and can discuss.

Passing your first para, don't understand your agenda.

Regarding second para, I am a fisherman and I kill only what I can eat, or feed to my family/friends. I camp and fish in the CA High Sierra mountains, and on any fishing day I mostly shoot photos, and I consider how many in my camp I must feed and catch only that exact amount of fish. Then I clean and cook them, and hope one of my friends cooks accompaniments.

I smell when I eat eggs? Woah. Do I stink of the milk I eat with my Kashi cereal?

It's not intellectualism that presents a barrier to your intimacy. It's your strict agenda.
I'm sorry, I wasn't intending that my post was about you. But AR (Animal Rights) is a foreign subject to many people, so there is understandably some confusion. Knowing absolutely nothing about it makes it a little difficult to discuss.

Our topic is would you date a woman smarter than you. "Smarter" may I suppose mean a lot of different things, but probably general knowledge would fall under that umbrella. And maybe experiential history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 11:50 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I'm sorry, I wasn't intending that my post was about you. But AR (Animal Rights) is a foreign subject to many people, so there is understandably some confusion. Knowing absolutely nothing about it makes it a little difficult to discuss.

Our topic is would you date a woman smarter than you. "Smarter" may I suppose mean a lot of different things, but probably general knowledge would fall under that umbrella. And maybe experiential history.
Don't worry Kara, I wasn't offended at all. We're friends. I do understand the animal rights agenda, I simply don't agree with it, as well can be seen in my reply above re: fishing. I think it is cruel to catch fish and then waste them, perhaps mounting them as trophies. That's just disgusting! You may be surprised to know that I totally oppose the concept of zoos. I see poor wild animals being cramped into quarters which are infinitesimally small compared to their natural range, I just do not attend zoos. I applaud acts like Cirque du Soleil for replacing circus animals with human acts. I'm waiting for a chat with my most medically educated friend, want to ask her if she thinks I should quit eating beef, for health reasons.

I'll turn your topic around, I prefer to not date women dumber than me. I don't want to have sex and then have to resort to discussing TV programs. I vastly prefer women who are smarter than I. I suspect you are one of them Kara. I asked to be friends with you because of your smart posts. You and I are both creative thinkers and thoughtful people.

I kid my male friends: "If you ever meet a woman who is too smart for you to handle, send her to me!"

I'm currently dating a red headed, green eyed retired RN who may be the end of me. She is as smart as a whip and quite wilful, even fractious. I like that in a woman!

So yes, I actively prefer women smarter than me as my potential significant other. At least as a retired engineer I expect I'll probably be able to do tech better than her. Noting also, when it comes to dating I don't have any ego problems.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:41 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
I always tested between 140 and 155 on IQ tests. I married a woman smarter than I am, and it has been great. We're coming up on 32 years of married bliss without a single fight. We discuss things, come to an agreement, and stick to it. She went through menopause and I didn't even notice it. Her mental discipline is impressive.

I'm not the only one who thinks she is brilliant. She has been CEO of 3 different corporations. The local C of C voted her "Woman Of The Year" in 2009. Living with her is a continual education. After 32 years (I actually met her 35 years ago) we still have not run out of new and exciting topics to discuss. She is hands down my favorite person, best friend, and the love of my life.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:59 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
The Huff Post article may be the one I cited:

• Study Shows Men Can’t Deal With Women Who Are Smarter Than Them
https://www.themarysue.com/men-and-smart-women/

• Why men are threatened by smart women
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...ood-2015-10-16

• Men May Like The Idea Of A Smart Woman, But They Don’t Want To Date One
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b02f6a900ed2aa
You might notice that all three articles were written by women. They rationalize that the reason they can't get dates is that they are just too superior, when in fact they are just unpleasant to be around. Because of my wife, I meet a lot of really intelligent women. Some of them are great, some are a nuisance. Social skills or a stable personality do not come in the same kit as intelligence.

I know a brilliant and attractive young woman. She is in her early 30s and not in a relationship. It's not because she is intelligent, it's because she's a shark who takes bites out of everyone she is around. Any successful long term relationship needs a sense of repose. Everyone needs down time and peace. If you are young, intelligent, and working 14 hour days to get ahead in your chosen field, you have to know when to dial it down and just enjoy being with your honey. It's either that or you will run them off.

Last edited by Larry Caldwell; 05-24-2018 at 02:29 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 01:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I was in . . . Mensa. . . . Don't know if she actually tried to get into Mensa,.

She was a Mensa member . . .

My wife is smart, but not as smart as I am.
Of course because she is not in Mensa

Maniacal Egoists Needing Self Affirmation?

If my wife was a member, she likely would not be my wife.

Truly uber smart people never need to brag about it, test for it, accumulate certificates. That is for the Wizard of Oz troupe. "Here is your diploma. Now you have a brain."

The really smart people do not say or even know their IQ scores (and they know how meaningless they are), or join "I am a genius" clubs. The know they are smarter than most but they also know it is not something that makes them a better person. They do not need scores or certificates for self affirmation. Their intellect is obvious, even to them.

You know they are smart because it just oozes out of them. Generally they are not braggarts. Test taking skills and true genius are not related. When I meet someone who immediately tells me they are in mensa or what their IQ score is, I locate the nearest exits - they have psychological issues. Possibly unstable. When I interview someone who tells me they are in mensa or have XX IQ score, or put that on their resume, I flip to the next resume and read it while letting them talk away. People who tell people their IQ scores, Mensa membership, GRE or LSAT scores etc are not very smart in my estimation. If they were smart, they would have figured out how that makes them come off to other people.

I am not one of those truly super genius people (possibly above average, but not amazing), but I have met them. Real geniuses. No, they would not bother with Mensa or broadcasting IQ scores. They have no need to proclaim their genius it is obvious and they would just as soon keep it to themselves. They are usually tired of being isolated, unable to communicate well becasue they do not think at lower levels. Many try to hide it.

How do I know Mensa and IQ tests are BS? Taking their tests. I am no genius. Not like those truly remarkable people. The tests are BS. I take tests well. That is all. (Also my daughter is a psychologist - "IQ tests are not very meaningful, but the best data we have to work with for now.").

Sorry, taking tests or joining groups does not make you smart. The only thing that can make you smart, is being smart. Even a non-genius can figure that out.

I find most people are smarter than others in some way and less smart than the same other person in some other way. I have a daughter who does not take tests well. But she can look at an animal for ten minutes and accurately say "That horse has a stomach problem" (assuming it is a horse and it has a stomach problem) Why? She is highly observant and in tune with animal body language and expressions. Give her a test? Not even close to a genius by test. Give her an animal - wow!. You are brilliant!.

You wife might be smarter than you and maybe you are not smart enough to realize it - you never know.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-24-2018 at 01:23 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 01:25 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
I think you're right on all counts. There was an article making the rounds recently about smart business leaders:

Third-Grade Words.Steve Jobs Did and You Should, Too
Billionaires like Elon Musk and Richard Branson use simple words to express complex ideas
https://www.inc.com/carmine-gallo/sm...hould-too.html

Old 05-24-2018, 01:36 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
I think there is still some relevance to the Stanford-Binet IQ test. But knowing your IQ? Just how useful is that? If you are smart you know you are smart. You don't need to hang a number on it.

I have a feel for the relative intelligence of my friends, most of them are pretty smart, some of them are certainly smarter than I.

Regarding Mensa, I would not join any club that has such low standards that they would accept a person of my ilk.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:07 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I always tested between 140 and 155 on IQ tests. I married a woman smarter than I am, and it has been great. We're coming up on 32 years of married bliss without a single fight. We discuss things, come to an agreement, and stick to it. She went through menopause and I didn't even notice it. Her mental discipline is impressive.

I'm not the only one who thinks she is brilliant. She has been CEO of 3 different corporations. The local C of C voted her "Woman Of The Year" in 2009. Living with her is a continual education. After 32 years (I actually met her 35 years ago) we still have not run out of new and exciting topics to discuss. She is hands down my favorite person, best friend, and the love of my life.
What a nice post! You and your wife are inspirations as individuals and as a couple. After an unhappy 22-year marriage, I hope I could one day find what you share.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:16 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You might notice that all three articles were written by women. They rationalize that the reason they can't get dates is that they are just too superior, when in fact they are just unpleasant to be around. Because of my wife, I meet a lot of really intelligent women. Some of them are great, some are a nuisance. Social skills or a stable personality do not come in the same kit as intelligence.

I know a brilliant and attractive young woman. She is in her early 30s and not in a relationship. It's not because she is intelligent, it's because she's a shark who takes bites out of everyone she is around. Any successful long term relationship needs a sense of repose. Everyone needs down time and peace. If you are young, intelligent, and working 14 hour days to get ahead in your chosen field, you have to know when to dial it down and just enjoy being with your honey. It's either that or you will run them off.
This. And, frankly, I think it can sometimes be an issue of maturity. Maybe it's because I'm older (52 tomorrow), idk, but I find many women in their 30s still have a lot of growing up to do (just as there are men in the same age bracket who do) before they're ready for the kind of intimacy and continuous compromise a healthy, happy LTR requires.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:08 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
My wife is far smarter than I am. Perfectly happy with that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology