Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 10:31 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times

Advertisements

Looking at the video, the kid just thought it was fun to run in and out of the plastic flaps of the door.

Toward the end of the video, a woman picks the child up off the floor. I'm assuming it was a parent. SHE probably thought what the child was doing was harmless, and she was apparently close by
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 10:51 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
I would never purposefully hurt a child. If I ever started feeling like it might be a good idea, I think I'd seek psychiatric treatment immediately.

I'm not a mushy-gushy, "ooh, look at the baby" type of person. I just don't think people should hurt children, animals, or the elderly because it's a monstrous thing to do.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:11 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,643,904 times
I agree, that woman shouldn’t have tripped the kid. He could have hit his head so hard that he might have gotten a concussion or even worse. I don’t agree with the comments on social media though saying they hope that her child dies or something is wrong with it.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:45 AM

666 posts, read 643,396 times
No. It isn't worth it.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:29 PM

188 posts, read 203,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Looking at the video, the kid just thought it was fun to run in and out of the plastic flaps of the door.

Toward the end of the video, a woman picks the child up off the floor. I'm assuming it was a parent. SHE probably thought what the child was doing was harmless, and she was apparently close by
Yeah, it didn't look like he was misbehaving or being obnoxious. He was just running and inadvertently flung the plastic flap in the lady's face. Running around is pretty normal for little kids. I have a three-year-old niece who is well-behaved, but sometimes she's just get excited and bolt off. It's not their fault they don't have much impulse control yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I love kids. And I REALLY love little ones. I'm also a parent, and I've BEEN a parent of little ones misbehaving in public.

Here's the thing. UNLESS I think a child might hurt themselves or someone else because of their behavior, I can ignore it. Not my kid, not my problem.

Plus, I get that kids often misbehave because of extenuating circumstances. A place is too loud, a kid is hungry, needs a nap, and on and on. I don't judge the kids, and I don't judge the parents.
I agree. If a child was doing something dangerous, or was intentionally hurting me or someone else, I would do whatever I needed to do to keep everyone safe, but otherwise I'd just let it go.

I'm not a parent, but I have a vague idea of how exhausting children are from taking care of my niece occasionally, so I normally feel more sympathy than anger when I see a parent with a kid that's not totally under control.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:25 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times
I admit that I don't have much patience with little kids who are misbehaving, but I would never harm a child. The child in the video did absolutely nothing wrong. It was completely unintentional that the plastic strip touched the woman's face when the child ran through. The woman was 100% in the wrong to lose her temper and trip the child. The woman assaulted the little boy, plain and simple. She should have been arrested and could probably benefit from some anger management therapy.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-24-2018 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: Corrected a typo.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Just leave. It beats two years for assault and battery.

Or it you are set on going to jail, just duct tape them to a display. If you only stick the tape on their clothing, you will avoid harming them in any way, plus the judge might find it funny and reduce your sentence.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:57 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Oh my god! Geez, no, LOL! Holy yikes.

The kid didn't mean it and it wasn't like he'd been an ongoing problem or something. If anything, those flapping door slat things were the issue.

But even if he had done such a thing on purpose, I'd not be overly eager to potentially cause brain bleeding and seizures to a child. I'm going with "no" here.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:09 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
I think if you look closely at that video, you will see that that woman was trying to protect the child from running out and possibly being injured. She simply put her foot out, as many of us do, and the child fell on his own.

That is my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:56 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Default All that energy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Insane idea. Have fun with this post.
Here's a great title for a kids' book: "All the energy looking for a place to go!!

I wish I had half of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology