Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 01:35 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,643,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Also, mergers who do not understand the concept of "zipper merging" and expect that because you let one person in, you're gonna let 10 more in right behind him.

I'm happy that here in Colorado Springs, people are not too awful at merging. The last time I traveled to Virginia, good lord, every time there's a merge for any reason, all traffic has to stop on the highway while everyone tries to out-stubborn each other. Infuriating.

They actually had a SIGN near Richmond on the interstate, "Watch for stopped cars." I snapped a photo of it, as I sat in gridlock, thinking, "No really? They're everywhere."
I understand what you’re saying, but when traffic is backed-up solid for five miles, “zipper merging” doesn’t work. You would think that there would be a polite driver who would occasionally back off a bit and let you merge without it resorting into road rage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 01:46 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I understand what you’re saying, but when traffic is backed-up solid for five miles, “zipper merging” doesn’t work. You would think that there would be a polite driver who would occasionally back off a bit and let you merge without it resorting into road rage.
That's just it though. If people would chill out and leave some space between cars, and allow the magic of zipper merging to happen, rather than fighting it, then traffic would not HAVE to be backed up five miles.

Instead you get one guy from the ramp finally forcing himself in, to the tune of rage and horns, and then five guys behind him trying to tailgate in on his coat-tails. Now everybody's mad, and still, nobody's really moving.

No, it's not a polite driver needing to back off and let you merge, ALL of the drivers should be more polite, and each should let one person merge. Then everybody gets to go.

*shrug* I say it a lot. We're nicer in Colorado. We still get traffic sometimes, but NOTHING like Virginia, or the west coast, even through areas where population density isn't much different.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:54 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,598 times
Already mentioned, but +1 for music/videos/etc on smartphones or other device with no headphones.

Whistling. It's extremely piercing to the ears, and most people who do it are not as good as they sound to themselves.

People who stand too close behind me in line. People who are generally oblivious and start moving again (for example, someone stopped off to the side with a cart) just as I am walking past them.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:33 PM

343 posts, read 229,710 times
Just about the rudest thing I run into is people trying to bum a cigarette (I don't smoke) or money. I don't really like hearing someone yell over the phone but it's the people who come up and get right in my personal "intimate zone" asking for something that I truly don't have time for really bugs me.

Even worse are those who want me to convert to their religion. They take even more time and are more likely to argue than those just wanting money. Do I need a reason to not want to follow your purple Monkey of the Mountain- no I don't think so.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:24 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Someone must have said this already, but I think it’s rude when people walk around with the phones on their ear and gab away in the grocery store, or wherever. What the heck do people have to talk about?

Old 05-02-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Someone must have said this already, but I think it’s rude when people walk around with the phones on their ear and gab away in the grocery store, or wherever. What the heck do people have to talk about?
I've done this, and I don't care if it's rude. Much of the time, it couldn't wait until I got home, because when I got home, I was going to be subject to the needs of my kids and (now ex) husband. The ONLY time I could have a conversation with my Mom or a friend, without him trying to sit there listening and commenting as though he was invited into it, or demanding I get off the phone, or my kids needing me for something, was if I told everyone I was going to the store. And then, I still had to do shopping.

It was the only time I had to myself, and sometimes I needed someone to talk to.

Much like the thing where people who don't have allergies or sinus problems and have forgotten what it's like to have a cold, think that nose blowing is rude (I guess?) I think that this one could use a little remembering that not everyone has the same life. Some people may have very good reasons for being on the phone in the store, even if you don't know them.

Though I would always tell the person I was talking to, to hold on a minute, or that I'd call them back, when I went to check out. I did interact with the cashier in a polite way. And I was never so oblivious to my surroundings that I was getting in other people's way or anything.

I don't really think that being on the phone in public is rude.

As long as you're not talking about the sort of thing nobody around you wants to hear. No more rude than walking around having a conversation with another person next to you, really.

Though it's kind of funny, when those bluetooth ear piece things first came out, I'd see people walking around talking on them, and thought they were talking to themselves.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:44 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Oh another - showing off their surgery incisions, serious infections, or injuries from the weekend. "Hey Joe look at this bloody gash on my leg, it is a full of puss. look at it!" No thinks and the 21 people around you do not want to see it either.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:47 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I've done this, and I don't care if it's rude. Much of the time, it couldn't wait until I got home, because when I got home, I was going to be subject to the needs of my kids and (now ex) husband. The ONLY time I could have a conversation with my Mom or a friend, without him trying to sit there listening and commenting as though he was invited into it, or demanding I get off the phone, or my kids needing me for something, was if I told everyone I was going to the store. And then, I still had to do shopping.

It was the only time I had to myself, and sometimes I needed someone to talk to.

Much like the thing where people who don't have allergies or sinus problems and have forgotten what it's like to have a cold, think that nose blowing is rude (I guess?) I think that this one could use a little remembering that not everyone has the same life. Some people may have very good reasons for being on the phone in the store, even if you don't know them.

Though I would always tell the person I was talking to, to hold on a minute, or that I'd call them back, when I went to check out. I did interact with the cashier in a polite way. And I was never so oblivious to my surroundings that I was getting in other people's way or anything.

I don't really think that being on the phone in public is rude.

As long as you're not talking about the sort of thing nobody around you wants to hear. No more rude than walking around having a conversation with another person next to you, really.

Though it's kind of funny, when those bluetooth ear piece things first came out, I'd see people walking around talking on them, and thought they were talking to themselves.
Ok Sonic, but nobody wants to have to listen to your conversation. Sorry.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:15 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
If she's calling to see if they need her to get something or confirming an ingredient in a recipe, that's ok by me.

Usually I text that, though.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Most of the time when other people have been around me on the phone, as long as it's not a quiet place like a theater, I don't feel like I am "listening" to their conversation. I'm not really picking up what they're saying, I'm getting enough input from other noises, and paying attention to my shopping, and I'd pretty much have to follow them around to hear what they're talking about. I find it very easy to ignore.

So I have a hard time really understanding what is so upsetting about it.

If two people are walking around together talking and you can hear them, is that a "nobody wants to to have to listen to your conversation. Sorry" situation as well?

Is the level of annoyance because it's one-sided, like music where you can only make out the bass but not the rest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology