Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 10:26 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
What
Everyone else pretty much got the topic...
OK. First, I don't understand why you're surprised or wonder why there's so much diversity in male psychology. That's normal. Humans are a very diverse bunch.

Second, I don't understand this part at all:

Quote:
t seems only the basic expectations of being a man irregardless of identity include being emotionally resilient, getting ripped if possible, working as hard as possible and being agressive/dominant
Whose "basic expectations of being a man"? Men's expectations? Women's expectations of men? "Society"-s expectations?

Getting ripped? Where do you get that? How many men do you know who care about getting ripped? Sure, there are guys at the gym who are into that, but among my friends and relatives, nobody cares. Nobody's ever had any interest in that, at any age, IME. If anything, those guys get laughed at, like kind of an old-fashioned cartoon meme, or the AH-nold Schwarzie meme. And "being aggressive/dominant"? Wow. These are stereotypes. Working as hard as possible? How many men do you know, who want to work as hard as possible? I have no idea where you're getting this stuff. I mean, besides somebody's stereotypes. But IRL, who do you know, who wants to work as hard as possible, or to be aggressive/dominant? Aren't those (latter ones) the guys who other people call "jerks"? And the work-hard-as-possible guys are the ones people call "workaholics", and they shake their heads in pity at them?

WTH?!

So, what's your question? Where in your post is the question you're asking us? Could you clarify? It sounds like you're dredging up a bunch of long-dead dinosaur-type stereotypes, but to what end, for what reason, isn't clear. I'm not catching your drift.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-28-2018 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 03:08 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
What's physcology?

Maybe it means having a muscle-bound brain?

Old 05-29-2018, 03:54 AM

765 posts, read 474,114 times
oh sheesh, i just finished answering a question from a guy who wanted to know if it was too feminine to eat chocolate.

huh???????????????????????????????????????????

we have to get past all this ridiculousness people!!!!!!

I was not a tomboy, i was a normal girl who liked to run, climb trees and play with trucks..............are people still using that ridiculous terminology to discuss a girl who isn't into Barbies??

When will we stop assigning gender stereotypes????? it's so darn archaic. everyone should just grow a pair and do whatever the heck they feel most comfortable being, doing, eating, drinking..... what? a real woman doesn't drink beer either? Only real men do? what???????????????????? where does it all end??????????????????????????????

Old 05-29-2018, 04:04 AM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
oh sheesh, i just finished answering a question from a guy who wanted to know if it was too feminine to eat chocolate.

huh???????????????????????????????????????????

we have to get past all this ridiculousness people!!!!!!
I have feeling that only men who are not particularly manly, are obsessed about "appearing" strong and masculine... Lol
Real men don't care about that stuff...

Old 05-29-2018, 07:07 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,721,696 times
Lol, we all have to accept that stereotypes will continue to live on. Sweet Jesus.

Yes some can hurt people

Blacks being thugs or women dressing overly-sexual, both stereotypes do a lot of harm.

However there is a difference between an "expectation" and a "stereotype"... How are you gonna operate in this world if you can't even lift a freaking brick lolz?

Old 05-29-2018, 07:13 AM

6,383 posts, read 5,009,673 times
I've heard theories that women's attraction to men is generally more "flexible" than the reverse: it tends to vary based on the needs of a given environment, and they're more likely to be bisexual - whereas men's ideal woman is pretty consistent from one guy to the next, and one culture to the next, and men are almost always either gay or straight.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:24 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I have feeling that only men who are not particularly manly, are obsessed about "appearing" strong and masculine... Lol
Real men don't care about that stuff...

Oh...I don't know. I think like everything, and everyone else, some things are important to some people, and not others.

My oldest son, who takes after me, felt like he was getting a little soft, so he started going to the gym. Turns out, he liked working out, and decided to take it to the next level, and yeah...get ripped.

He's not a jerk, and he's a real man.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:06 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
But we DO stereotype. We observe and file away trends of behavior in the little gray cells. Maybe not PC but scientific, no?
Yes, stereotypes are fine... until you apply them to an individual.

OP, do you find this just fascinating for women too, or just men?

I dunno, I expect people to be different so I guess I would be more fascinated if they weren't such a variety.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-29-2018, 12:51 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
This reads like a 12 year old boy's version of what he thinks it means to be a man because he's watched too many action movies. Fortunately most men mature beyond this.
OK, so it's not just me, I take it, who can't relate to the topic. I'm still not clear on what the central question is. The description in the OP doesn't relate to real life, in 2018, as I and those around me have encountered it.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:11 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
How are you gonna operate in this world if you can't even lift a freaking brick lolz?
Too bad you can't ask Stephen Hawking. He did all right for himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology